FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went shooting with a friend and his brother today. We shot trap and .22's, then shot my FNP-9. My friend has only shot a .22 handgun and his brother has never shot a handgun. Anyway, I am consistently to the left. At 25 yards, I'm about 10-12 inches left. 10 yrds, I'm about 4 inches left and a couple low. I thought the sights on the gun might be off, but when I let my friend shoot it, he put several rounds in the center with a few above and a few below. I then let his brother shoot it, and he was a bit all over horizontally and typically low.

So, why am I shooting left (about 2.5 inches at 7 yards)? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This was my 4th time shooting a pistol, so I'm a newb at shooting it.

I figure I'm low because I was placing the sights basically horizontal with eachother. I figure if I raised the front sight up so it is about half to completely above the rear sights, I should be fine.

Also, I was shooting the 124gr +P Speer gold dot and Sellier and Bellot 115 gr FMJ. The +P is definately snappier and I was shooting left with both. At least my groups are tight :roll:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Try this:

Also, keep in mind - you need to leran to adjust both your grip - and also what part of your finger you use to pull the trigger. Try all 3 - tip of the finger, pad of the finger and the 1st joint. See how each makes the gun aim at a slightly different place as you actually pull the trigger. Find which of the 3 works for you.

I sometimes use a different part of the trigger finger depending on what gun I use.

WHat you are doing is typical for a new shooter.

Also - dry fire practice will help you - it will let U see how U are pulling the gun. Do this at home, and aim at something in the room. It helps if your target is a light colored wall - so you can see the contrast of the front sight, and how the gun is moving as you pull the trigger.

Finally - learn to find the breaking point of the trigger - exactly where it fires. Learn to stop it right before this point and then resight the gun.

Also -

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I had this problem with my .45 usp and it ended up the sights were of a little lol

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iCeMaN said:
I had this problem with my .45 usp and it ended up the sights were of a little lol
I thought they might be, but when I gave it to my friend...
he had no problem.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips Ship.

I tried the placement of my finger on Thursday, and using the pad of my finger seems to be best. Looking at that target, I'd be hitting the "tightening fingers" area. I think that might be my problem the more I think about it. I seem to have it worked into my brain that as I squeeze the trigger, I need to use all my fingers to hold on to the gun. Maybe it's because I'm used to my shotgun that I do that. Next time I'm at the range, I'll definately pay attention to that.

Also, what exactly is meant by "too little trigger finger"? is that just lightly squeezing the trigger?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
My buddy and I were shooting his Sigma .40 and couldn't do anything right with it. I set up a few of those correction targets above and we really straigtened up the next few mags.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
djv38 said:
Also, what exactly is meant by "too little trigger finger"? is that just lightly squeezing the trigger?
It means that someone is using just the very, very tip of the trigger finger.,

Remember - all of those are for a right handed shooter. If left handed - reverse it.

When I bought my USpc 9mm 2.5 years ago - It kept shooting low (not low and left, just low). After a few trips, I swore it was the gun. I finally used my PS90 sandbags as a rest, and shot the gun - dead on... It was me.

I prev had a fullsize Hk USP 9mm, and I didn't have that problem - but the USP compact gave me this headache.

Finally after another 800-900 rounds of practice, I could consistently shoot where I wanted with it. I have 3k thru it now.

Sometimes it just takes practice. I made progress each trip, so it wasn't like it was an exercise in futility.

Also - you claimed to be new to handguns. I sucked for a couple of years when I first started shooting in 1993. I finally had a range master show me a few techniques, and that helped a LOT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts