FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hill reports soon to be former Gotham mayor Michael Bloomberg’s Mayors Against Guns will field a commercial during the Super Bowl, touting universal background checks, presumably Joe Manchin’ S.AMDT.715, for all private gun sales.
This commercial, to be exact:

Of course, the video clip is from the 1990′s, before we had fifteen years of experience with the NICS “instant background check system. And we now know that criminal’s guns do not come from private sales, do not come from gun shows, and do not come from gun dealers. Crime guns come from criminal’s underworld contacts. For one simple and overriding consideration.
Price. When an individual thinks of putting a gun up for sale, he will invariably scope out the market and ask what others have been getting for a similar piece. Today’s “going price” for a 1911 seems to be $600 to $700. And that seems to be the asking price in the semi-local fishwrappers.
Violent Crime Rates Crashed As Gun Sales Boomed!

But a criminal does not want to pay $600 to $700 for a gun – that he will likely have to discard after he uses it a few times. A career criminal wants to pay $150 for a gun, use it to commit a crime or two, and then recover $100 or so from his dealer when things seem to be getting hot.

So “instant background checks” have had a minimal effect on violent crime. Don’t believe that? Take a look at the Bureau of Justice Statistics graphic on the right. The very first NICS checks were run in November, 1998. And, as you can see, the United States violent crime rates were falling precipitously – before background checks were instituted. Now, they are falling, but more slowly.

So the bottom line is simple. Background checks have not proven their value. Expanding background checks to cover collector sales is not likely to make anyone safer.

IMAG To Run Superbowl Ad Pushing ?Universal Background Checks? | Extrano's Alley, a gun blog

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The NFL has already showed their hypocrisy when they denied air time for a pro-gun commercial by Daniel Deffense.

It's easy for me to say this as I don't watch pro football, but I will not be watching the Super Bowl this year under any circumstances if they continue to play politics instead of simply showing football.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
+1 on the NSSF running a commercial. Wouldn't even mind donating to offset the absurd cost per minute of a Super Bowl commercial. Perhaps we should start a donation drive for the NSSF to help facilitate.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
The NFL has already showed their hypocrisy when they denied air time for a pro-gun commercial by Daniel Deffense.

It's easy for me to say this as I don't watch pro football, but I will not be watching the Super Bowl this year under any circumstances if they continue to play politics instead of simply showing football.
This, my friend, is why I do not patronize anything related to the NFL, Paypal, Hollywood, or any other entity whose board of directors or chairpersons want to project their ideology on myself or my family.

I'll be damned to hell if I'm going to draw a blade across my own throat by consciously patronizing anti-freedom loving companies. Isn't this what we as a nation have been attempting to stomp out since the days of dictators?

-SS

·
Registered
735 Posts
The ignorance, and the hypocrisy, are the hardest parts for me to swallow. There is such as vast sea of ignorance in our society that huge numbers of people will see this ad and actually use it as a basis for thinking. Couple this with the NFL being the absolute LAST organization on earth with any leg to stand on when it comes to values in our society, and I'm left speechless (well.. almost).

Reactions: pjmarshake
1 - 8 of 8 Posts