FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to some friends in SOCOM and they said just that.

If FN made a modified MK16 upper that could be retrofitted to the M4A1 lower the DI system would be gone.

Yes the MK16 is that much of an upgrade. The issue comes in play of free M4A1's, but if they would get a modified upper they could trade in the cost of the RIS II CQBR/M4A1 procurements and would pay less for an upper.

Plus I hear there may be something to this idea coming down the pipeline. Especially now with M855A1's growing use in SOCOM, there is now a need for a replacement upper to handle the round.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The two weapons are too fundamentally different. won't happen.

Reactions: Dizzy82

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
With the mk16 fnac and mk17 conversation kit, the question becomes.....why not just use the exsisting scar16?

Reactions: Dizzy82 and mityno1

·
Registered
280 Posts
There are already a great many piston uppers for the m4, I don't see how FN would benefit from throwing away the scar to move to an upper replacement...as was already stated the weapons are just too different.

Furthermore, when I was doing some research into the mk17 to 5.56 conversion I was told the Rangers who were testing them couldn't get them to run suppressed with "the green round." Seems the scar chokes when its cyclic rate is pushed too high. Their mk18s, surprisingly, ran pretty well.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Just take your AR15, and install an Adams Arms piston kit. :?

It works, and a lot easier.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Even though a piston can help, the downside to the AR platform is there is little clearance around the BCG as it's more sensitive to dirt in the chamber. So just a piston upper alone isn't the full answer. The Scar is more roomy and less likely to jam as the Military dust test also concluded. The other area and perhaps just as important is that a closed bolt is a closed chamber, but the AR will allow more in as it's very hard to remember to continually close the dust cover. Unless you are climbing around in the dirt, most will never have these issues. I'll second the Adams Arms as it sure makes for a clean chamber, and may I never clean a DI ever again.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Pretty much. Familiarity with the AR15 terminology has led to improper labeling of other rifle parts. The SCAR doesn't have an "upper" and a "lower" receiver. The SCAR has a receiver, and a trigger module.

When they won't learn, join them. :p :-D

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Z-M Weapons made one. LR-300 model.

Not sure they are still in business.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I like AR lowers as much as the next man. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the scars trigger module either. If you like the AR lower more there are modifications out there to make the Scar trigger module more ARish.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Z-M Weapons made one. LR-300 model.

Not sure they are still in business.
Something is coming down the pipeline pretty soon. Al was pretty hush hush about it and didn't give me much info. I guess we'll just have to wait :?

Oh, LR 300 > Scar 16. The LR is literally the tits; especially in full auto.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Love my piston SIG MCX (after swapping out the trigger for a SSA-E). As a bonus converting to 300BLK is simple, it has a folding stock (just wish it folded to the right rather than the left), and the upper works with my AR lowers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts