FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what restrictions might apply on U.S. Citizens importing suppressors into the states?

In New Zealand we are totally unregulated in regard to suppressors and we can buy them over the counter and ship them Internationally with no paperwork.

As I can't get one out of the States I'm now having one custom made locally here in New Zealand to fit my SCAR25...Saker MADD mount on a AAC T51 5/8x24 muzzle brake specs.

If it's legal and I can help a brother out let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
As far as I'm aware, importing suppressors into the US is illegal and all currently produced, civilian legal suppressors are made within the US. Not sure about exporting them out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exporting them out of the States is definitely restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,803 Posts
Importing them might not be illegal, but it does not help, and might actually be more difficult. I would imagine that regardless of source, you still need the ATF stamp, so no savings there. And I assume that a lot of the cost of silencers is exactly doing all the paperwork to comply, so even if you could import a class III device, you would have to figure out how to work with an importer, and the amount of effort needed to figure out how to do the paperwork for a single silencer would be way more than the benefit of importing versus simply buying one in the US in the first place.

Could be worth a call to the ATF to get an official answer, just for curiosity, but very unlikely it would work in anyone's benefit.

Thanks for the offer though.

Actually, on second thought, an easier path might be to get NZ to become a 51st state, then their silencers would all be grandfathered. I think the process of adding a state might be easier than trying to import a silencer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
<~~~ Importer of NFA firearms

Can only be imported for either one of the below:

- being imported or brought in for the use of the United States or any department,independent establishment, or agency thereof or any State or possession or any politicalsubdivision thereof, or

- being imported or brought in solely for use as a sample by a registered importer or registered dealer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.