FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've seen guys who have either pulled their SCAR barrels or had to pull the barrel retaining screws to install new rail sections, some have mistaken the barrel torque value of inch-pound for foot-pounds and damaged the receiver.

The SCAR 16 and 17 barrel retaining bolts should be torqued only to 62 INCH-POUNDS NOT FOOT-POUNDS.

Here again is the process for the SCAR 16 and 17 barrel removal and installation.

Tools Needed :

T-25 Torx Bit
Ratchet or Driver
Torque Wrench adjustable or fixed to 62 inch-pounds

Make sure weapon is unloaded

To Remove Barrel Assembly
1A: Disassemble Rifle, removing upper from rifle, removing bolt carrier assembly and charging handle.
2A: Loosen the 6 T-25 bolts holding the barrel assembly to the upper (bolts are captive and are not removed)
3A: Slide barrel assembly forward till the rear barrel extension clears the upper and lifts out through the notches in the upper.
4A: Barrel removed

To Reinstall Barrel Assembly
Just the reversal of the removal
1B: Place barrel in upper and slide barrel rearward to seat the barrel in the upper.
2B: Thread the 6 T-25 bolts into the barrel supports but do not tighten them down (may require wiggling the barrel a little to get the bolts to start)
3B: Set torque wrench to 62 inch pounds and tighten bolts, starting with one of the rear bolts and working forward in a criss cross pattern.
4B: With the barrel torqued now reassemble the rifle.
* Torque Sequence at the bottom *

#1A

#2A

#3A

#4A

Torque Sequence for barrel installation

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This was already posted earlier and still I missed it and started down the foot pound road. Thanks for the new post reminder Talhoffer!

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
The SCAR 16 and 17 barrel retaining bolts should be torqued only to 62 INCH-POUNDS.

Forgive my ignorance... If the Borka has a fixed inch-pounds settings at: 72, 65, 57, 50, 43, 36, 30, 27, 24, 21, 18, 15
And specs call for 62 or say 25, do you go over or under as close as you can get the the specified amount?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The SCAR 16 and 17 barrel retaining bolts should be torqued only to 62 INCH-POUNDS.

Forgive my ignorance... If the Borka has a fixed inch-pounds settings at: 72, 65, 57, 50, 43, 36, 30, 27, 24, 21, 18, 15
And specs call for 62 or say 25, do you go over or under as close as you can get the the specified amount?

Just combine them, use the 57, then the 5 ;)

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3 inch-pounds is not really that much over the factory spec, should you torque it to the factory spec, yes I would prefer to but 65 inch-pounds isn't going to hurt it, I would not go any higher though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In addition to Borka Multi Torque driver kits, specifically MG7 or MG9, both of them containing MG torque driver and all necessary bits to service the SCAR, please take a look at this option:

The difference between 62 and 65 inch-lbs. is just 3 inch-lbs., which is +5% relative to 62 inch-lbs. It will not hurt anything and was proven to work just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.