FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I find a piece that just calls to me, take me home. This one is the best condition Ive seen out of the dozen or so I've looked at over the last 40 years. Probably never went to the C's as it has no C markings, the bore is excellent and there is no rust or pitting anywhere. Going to take the Inglis to the range this weekend. So a good cleaning and greasing was in order. I have never fired this one. Its matching numbers, no FTR markings, no obvious problems that I see. Only still needing a lanyard loop and stud along with a JL marked mag and of course a Canadian stock. Any advise on where these might be found will be welcome.
IMG_3481 1.jpg IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG IMG_3480.JPG

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting :mrgreen:

Did pistol, magazine and holster come as a set? No FTR, yet apparently professionally re-Parkerizing, later...non-JI, magazine and what appears to be a best quality (leather lined) FN/Belgian Air Force holster. Very nice :?. Wonder what its history is? Hope it shoots as well as it looks...

Re: "Parts/Accessories": Believe it or not, try ebay, BUT be VERY careful when it comes to Shoulder Stock/Holsters...the vast majority are repros. I'd seen the JI..."style" anyway, screw-in Lanyard Stud/Loop advertised on Numrich a week or so ago as well...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it has the stock slot. I agree with the repark at some point as the serial numbers on the frame and slide appear same as surface finish. Unless they are just filled in with dried oil/grease/grime. But it must have been long ago. It does not have FTR nor is it remarked anywhere. The hammer has the II marking. It came as a package to me from private sale. The holster back is pictured. Its a drop loop only with no provision for "up on the belt" carry. Yes leather liner. I did order a screw in stud and ring, just hope its the right one. I think FN's studs are pinned in place. any other info is appreciated.
IMG_3499.JPG IMG_3496.JPG
IMG_3498.JPG IMG_3504 1.jpg

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tailgunner,

How did your trip to the range go??? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burgs,
I had to make 2 trips. After the range opened Sat. morn I went down with some 124 NATO Ball and some Ga Arms 124gr. Short story is it choked on the next to last round of each magazine. Back home I took it down and installed a new Wolf recoil and firing pin spring, picked up a couple mags that work in my other HP, and back to the range. This time it was flawless through 100 rounds of 124gr NATO ball. I pasted on another target a proceeded to shoot the target pictured with an assortment of 115gr Fiochi , Winchester and Speer 124gr+P and some Fed 147gr. Everything went bang. I shot this target at 15 yards. At 25ards I couldnt see well enough due to the glare off the top of the front sight and a lot of smoke from a guy sub gunning couple lanes over.The sights are not 21st century, but neither am I. Its close enough that if I had to, I would not hesitate to answer the front door in the middle of the night with it in hand. It was fun to shoot history, had a couple of wild swinging shot, but otherwise its ok.
IMG_3533.JPG

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tailgunner,

Thank you for the range report and photo! I'm glad you were able to sort out the malfs and get it going again.
I find the tangent sighted Inglis pistols to be very interesting. At its lowest elevation setting, what range is that rear sight zeroed for?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lowest setting is marked as 50 yrds. I will have to run the Quick load program to verify the trajectory, but I'm thinking at the range for this target ,holding and hitting just off the top of the front site, this thing may be on at 50 yards with the 124 +P loads shot here. I will have to put a little sight black on the top of the front site post to cut the glare from the finish wear. Also my shoulder stock should be here by the end of the week. So if the pollen count is down , I might take it outdoors to the rifle range where I can shoot 50 and 100 yrds. Be a hoot if that works out. That would make it truly interesting indeed. Now to look for a JI marked magazine that will work.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for the information, Tailgunner!
I think that a lot of us would like to read about your findings.
That's a very interesting pistol you have there.

Reactions: tailgunner

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This looks like an original Canadian 1945 production stock to me. Was sold as such. Nice condition, proofs and markings right. Will try it out soon.
IMG_3549.JPG IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3552.JPG IMG_3557.JPG

·
Registered
272 Posts
Tailgunner,

You have cool stuff! :?

Reactions: tailgunner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts