FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used primarily AR15s shooting. The parts in the 17s are all high quality and the design is really sweet. Nice spring, bcg, and rock solid design. The bullet button is absolutely terrible so I ordered a raddlock today. Also would like to swap out that pistol grip with something a little more comfortable. Really well built rifle.

Noticed some white factory gunk under the hammer. Is this something I should leave on for the first 100 or so rounds? I remember leaving on something similar with my glock.

Really looking forward to shooting. It weighs about as much as my ar15 so Im excited to see how the 17s handles that .308. More to come.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Noticed some white factory gunk under the hammer. Is this something I should leave on for the first 100 or so rounds?
It's grease. A lubricated SCAR is a happy SCAR.

Congratulations on your 17!:?

Reactions: KameronTKelly

·
Registered
465 Posts
Congrats man I run raddlocks they are great on the 17. Hope you have the original mag release cuz you're gonna need em. The raddlock stock block is also far superior. Just loosen the set screw to remove. I love my 17s they're a blast to own and shoot.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Congrats man I run raddlocks they are great on the 17. Hope you have the original mag release cuz you're gonna need em. The raddlock stock block is also far superior. Just loosen the set screw to remove. I love my 17s they're a blast to own and shoot.
I second this. Raddlock parts for the scar are superior and allow for quick easy back to stock functionality. Just keep those allen keys in the storage compartment in the stock for when you cross state lines or SHTF.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Initially I was skeptical about buying a radflock since all my shooting is done in CA. The combination of the terrible bullet button and having the original ambi mag release really made purchasing the rad a no brainer. CLPd and ready to go for Sunday. My AR15 is going to be neglected for a few months.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Greetings fellow Commiefornia state SCAR owner. The raddlock IS the way to go. Congratulations on your rifle. The first thing you want to do is start saving for a new trigger. I like the Geissele Super SCAR, but others like the Shooting Sight, or the Timney.

I replaced my A2 grip with a Tango Down BG17, but there are a few others that work well.

The SCAR 17 is an awesome rifle, but you need the G trigger to really release its potential.

For a .308 or 7.62x51 NATO it shoots very smoothly with very controllable recoil.

Have fun.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've used primarily AR15s shooting. The parts in the 17s are all high quality and the design is really sweet. Nice spring, bcg, and rock solid design. The bullet button is absolutely terrible so I ordered a raddlock today. Also would like to swap out that pistol grip with something a little more comfortable. Really well built rifle.

Noticed some white factory gunk under the hammer. Is this something I should leave on for the first 100 or so rounds? I remember leaving on something similar with my glock.

Really looking forward to shooting. It weighs about as much as my ar15 so Im excited to see how the 17s handles that .308. More to come.

Welcome to the family and yeah... Living in CA, the Raddlock is the way to go!! Check this video about upgrades & "handling" :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
no tannerite vs car explosions?

Reactions: TheBelgian

·
Registered
161 Posts
The parts in the 17s are all high quality and the design is really sweet. Nice spring, bcg, and rock solid design. Really well built rifle.
FN products are pretty much GTG out of the box, not much to upgrade nor any accessories are really needed; at most a nice piece of glass to really reach out and touch someone.

btw, wtf is a bullet button?! Jk.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I knew I needed a 308 as part of my defensive suite so I got a Sig 716 before I got to shoot a SCAR 17. The 716 was nothing but problems so I sold it - took a loss and got a SCAR 17. The SCAR is great - soft shooting and very accurate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally took the 17s shooting. I had 6 or so FTFs with the first 15 rounds. Im guessing it was the brand new magazines or my fault for not CLPing the rifle enough. Once we got past the first few magazines it was amazing. I loaded 10 and just let it rip from the hip to end the day and was cheesing pretty hard. My AR also had a FTF when I tried using a new magazine for it. If anybody has any insight that would be awesomr. With most of my rifles therr just always seems to be that initial break in period with the new mags-maybe try keeping them loaded?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Finally took the 17s shooting. I had 6 or so FTFs with the first 15 rounds. Im guessing it was the brand new magazines or my fault for not CLPing the rifle enough. Once we got past the first few magazines it was amazing. I loaded 10 and just let it rip from the hip to end the day and was cheesing pretty hard. My AR also had a FTF when I tried using a new magazine for it. If anybody has any insight that would be awesomr. With most of my rifles therr just always seems to be that initial break in period with the new mags-maybe try keeping them loaded?
Did you clean off the preservative and properly lube it before shooting ?
My experience has been GTG from round 1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had friends visiting so I didnt remove the preservative (thought I kept it on?). Just CLP for the BCG and cleaned the barrell. Definitely lazy on that part but was in a rush with guests over. Going back out there todat and intend on doing it right. Rifle was shooting tight at 100 yards with irons out of the box and the raddlock was well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new here, but I have the scar 17 and it is an absolutely great weapon. I was really surprised with the recoil or lack of follow up shots Great weapon and great choice. +1 loves oil runs like a tuned sports car

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely handles the 308 round superbly. Very accurate out of the box. My third shoot is tomorrow and I plan to CLP it up real good. 200 yards with iron sights sounds amazing.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Congrats on your new 17, I think you will really like it. You should probably strip it down and thoroughly clean everything before you re-lube it with a good solvent of your choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on your new 17, I think you will really like it. You should probably strip it down and thoroughly clean everything before you re-lube it with a good solvent of your choice.
Exactly. Obviously your rifle should be cleaned before your shoot, but like I mentioned previously, just didn't have time to thoroughly CLP it with friends in town. I was shooting at 100 yards yesterday and all my shots missed low. I was hoping one of you had some tips on 1. What type of zero I want if I plan to shoot at 200 yards? 50/225 (that's what I prefer on my AR) or zero at 200? Any suggestions on what you have your irons zeroed at?

I won't allow myself to spend another $1000 on a scope and bipod until I can at least use my irons!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Exactly. Obviously your rifle should be cleaned before your shoot, but like I mentioned previously, just didn't have time to thoroughly CLP it with friends in town. I was shooting at 100 yards yesterday and all my shots missed low. I was hoping one of you had some tips on 1. What type of zero I want if I plan to shoot at 200 yards? 50/225 (that's what I prefer on my AR) or zero at 200? Any suggestions on what you have your irons zeroed at?

I won't allow myself to spend another $1000 on a scope and bipod until I can at least use my irons!
Just follow the zeroing procedure outlined in the owners manual and you'll be good to go. I think the SCAR irons are the best factory irons of any gun I've shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts