FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked the carbine up yesterday but had to teach a couple of classes last night, so I didn't get around to the first field stripping until after dinner tonight.

First: Man, this thing is easy to strip! It's awesome - this thing can be taken down in a few seconds. Very cool.

Second: That little tab to lift when removing the hammer group is kind of cheap, don't you think? I can see that thing breaking real easily. It just seems cheesy to me.

Third: Fit is tight among the parts - everything snugs up and snaps together very well, nothing rattles.

Fourth: The white reticle, well, seems to be pretty cheap. I'll definitely either be ordering a T3 or maybe trying to mount a real optic on there.

Fifth: Man, this thing is easy to assemble! It goes back together as quickly as it broke down! Again, very cool.

So, as far as first impressions go (without firing it yet), I'm really pleased with this PS-90 carbine. I figured I would be. And now I am really anxious to take it to the range. I'll put a couple hundred rounds through it, probably this weekend.

:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It will not lock back on the last shot but you can lock it open for inspection or cleaning by pulling the charging handle to the rear and hold it there and reach up through the ejection port and close the dust cover, Now ease the charging handle forward and the bolt will remain open. Pull back on the charging handle and release to drop the bolt. Would have been nice if FN had included that in the instructions.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I got the black sight PS-90 but no red sheet ever came in the box- I guess QC was slipping that day. had to read about it here to even know about it, Sounds like Madhouse is in the same boat as me-No red sheet :-?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seriously though, what about that "tab" you have to pull up to release the hammer group?

I just know that's going to snap right off on me.

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Madhouse said:
Seriously though, what about that "tab" you have to pull up to release the hammer group?

I thought that too. After looking at it for a while it seems a stronger part than my initial "feel" assessment.

Furthermore, I haven't touched my trigger group since I bought the rifle in 2007. In fact I think the manual advises you to NOT remove it for cleaning as this is not necessary.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It does seem flimsy but has stood up to me, But should it break you'll have to send it back to FN and I;m sure they would take care of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Madhouse, the trigger group is made from an awesome polymer. I wouldn't worry about it breaking off, so long as you use as intended and don't try to find it's breaking point. Examine your trigger group's hammer and compare it to the part that it strikes. You'll find that the hammer stands up extremely well to the metal it is striking. The tab may seem flimsy, but I assure you it is not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Like mentioned before about the trigger pack. I pulled it out a couple times already. I think the spring might give before that tab. Just my observation.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I've had mine for almost 2 years - nary a problem with that. I usually take it out every other trip.

I'd have to look at the manual - but I don't think it said NOT to clean it - it stated that you are not to oil it, if I remember right.

If it gets dirty, you are actually supposed to rinse it with water and let it dry completely before reassembly. I've never needed too, however. I've wiped it off with a dry rag 1 or 2 times - that's all.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I take the trigger group out every time I clean it so I can blow the empty shell out with compressed air. Like Ship said - you only oil the moving parts group.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No red paper here either.

PS90 is a great gun, I have a HK UMP (USC clone) and STG -556 and it is still my fav gun to shoot.

Optics
I have had the T2 and it worked great, I just received my new up dated T3 but I will be selling it since I now have an Eotech.

If any one is interested in the T3 I will be placing it in the WTS section soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That tab is very durable. When ever I take my 90 to the range, to a friends to show off, etc, I always put the trigger assembly in my pocket, just in case I get pulled over by a police officer and they happen to take a look in the trunk. So I have taken it out probably over 50 times. It's not really legally necessary for me to travel with it like this, but just in case I end up with an officer that doesn't like the idea of a 50 rd assault rifle in a trunk, I can point out that it is not active and locked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Madhouse said:

Not to change the subject, but,....
I have a very hard time reading your posts with that avatar! :?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts