FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my nib SCAR 16S at the end of November from Tombstone Tactical. Great price and easy to work with, by the way.

I took the rifle out two weeks ago to set the initial zero. I was using XM193, weather conditions were perfect in central OK and i was on my department's known distance course. With the sights untouched I took three shots from one hundred yards on our qualification target and walked up to inspect it. No hits.

I took three shots from the the twenty-five; aiming center mass with perfect sight align/sight picture from the prone...walked up to inspect it. Three hits in the crotch of my man-sized target. Good group, no windage adjustment needed. But way low.

Long story short...In order to get a group in the chest i had to bury the front sight post and move the rear elevation drum to '2'. I was still lower then my POI (by about five inching s from 100.yds), but i was in the area enough to pass a qualification.

My expectation was to be able to make macro adjustments to the front sight post to hit center mass and then use the rear drum for 200, 300, etc., distance shots. Because i could no longer turn the front sight post clockwise to move the strike of the round down and i didnt think using the rear drum was appropriate for an initial zero, i called FNH.

It took a couple of days to get through but i finally talked to a man, I think his name was Gene. I advised him of the situation and he put me on hold. He came back and said, " The guy told me that you will need to move the rear drum to lower the strike of your round." I said i know that but is it normal to have to adjust the rear drum on initial zero? He repeated his sentence again and i said thank you and hung up. ( This conversation creates a need for another post...Why can't I talk to the Guy?) But i digress.

So i went out to the range again today. I utilized one of the front sight tools in our armory and verified that my front sight is completely down as far as it can go. The weather conditons were perfect again, 60°, no wind, full sun. I shot a combination of Xm193 and M855. At the end of the day i had great groups and i can say I'm really pleased with how the rifle handles. I had one group from the offhand at 25 yds with all three rounds touching!

However, my dope for 100 yards and in is: buried front sight, and the rear drum set at 4 plus two clicks...basically just below the 5.

So here are the questions...

Is this abnormal and should i send it in for repair?
Is this normal and i'll just have to figure out my dope for 200 yd plus targets?

Can the rear drum be reset WITHOUT changing the elevation but setting it so that it shows '2' now instead of '4' plus two clicks? And then make adjustments for long range targets?

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I believe initial zero for 100 yds is supposed to be done with the rear sight elevation set to 2 or 3. I'm at work and don't have the booklet with me. I would check the factory manual, it gives pretty thorough instructions for the initial zero.

Also, I would go ahead and remove the barrel and reinstall, ensuring that all 6 bolts are properly torqued to 62 inch pounds. Many users have reported having barrels with uneven torque on the bolts from the factory. I'm not sure if that can effect elevation, but it's important to eliminate as many variables as possible before assuming the rifle has a flaw.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Agreed, I'd remove and retorque the barrel, as well as inspect and ensure the sights are installed correctly, etc.

ETA - both my 16 & 17 zeroed without the extreme elevation issues you are having.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, all. This is my first post...here or anywhere. I probably should have introduced myself to the group before complaining about the zeroing problem.

USMC vet, LEO now. Christian, husband, father.

I dont shoot competitively now...dont have the time, but i have a lot of stick time on M16A2, Colt AR's and pistols.

I've been sneaking around this forum literally for years gathering information and opinions. Which is part of the reason why I'm here now. I love the piston system of the SCAR, love the ergonomics, dependability and functionality. (I wear Danner boots and shoot a Glock 17. The SCAR is a natural fit to my lifestyle.)

I only have two range trips under my belt and about 350 rounds through it but i'm real excited to learn the ins and outs of this system.

I'll eventually put a low powered variable optic on this rifle...but i have to get the irons resovlved.

Thanks...happy to be a SCAR 16S operator.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
EPD,

Not normal.

Contact FNH USA's service department for resolution.

They'll get you squared away.

-SS

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome to the FNF btw!! I would do everything that was said above. Just an assumption but it could be that the demand had sped up production and something may have gotten overlooked slightly during final assembly and it was to small for the QC dept. to catch?? Just saying... :th_sign0163:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice and instruction. I'll open up a service ticket and have it sent in.

I'm taking a lot of heat from the guys at the deptment over this..."2K plus rifle and you cant even hit paper with it?"

I hope FNH can correct this quickly and properly. As it stands I have little confidence in FNH's qc in Belgium. Hopefully the service stateside is a little better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts