FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have had my SCAR 17s for about 8 or 9 months, put a couple hundred rounds through it, and I currently have a Leupold Mk 4 MR/T M1 (non-illuminated) 2.5-8x36mm on an ADM Delta 30mm QD mount, and an Atlas bipod. Oh, and a EACH courtesy of the Sarge :) I currently alternate between this setup and the iron sights.

I've had no problems, and like the Leupold/ADM/Atlas setup very much, but I was looking for a 1x optic in lieu of (or co-witnessed with) iron sights. I have been doing some lurking around the forum, and was hoping for members' input on an 1x optic (I was looking at an Aimpoint Micro, either H-1 or T-1) they have had positive experiences with on a 17s, along with your mount choice. I'm open to any suggestions, and it doesn't necessarily have to be an Aimpoint, but definitely 1x in this case.

Thank you all, and I eagerly await your collective expertise ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
You should consider the EOTECH (L-3 EOTech Holographic Weapons Systems). Great for co witnessing through the sight, either matched or 1/3, easy to use with both eyes open, has a 1MOA dot. I prefer the EXPS 3-0 (night vision compatible). It has side controls so the addition of a G-33 Multiplier (3X) doesn't get in the way of the buttons.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
For 100yds and less I use a Trijicon TriPower. It's 1x, illuminated by either fiber optic, battery or tritium depending on your need and available light. Works great on my SCAR with the new burris quick detach mount. Price is also very right, only about $400-$600 depending where you find it.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Aimpoint mirco T-1 2 moa all the way....if you want wider FOV go with a CompM4..I have had both the Aimpoint's and Eotech's, I was an Eotech guy at first, now Aimpoint all the way.. It is personnel preference...I will get back to you on which mount I like the best, Larue or ARMS in my case as I have both...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Aimpoint Pro in an ADM mount. I have it on my SCAR 16 and love it.

In general I think the 17 benefits from more magnification, hence the variable optic on it.

Like the Eotech Reticle, but dislike the battery life, durability, and size.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would go with an H1 if NV is not a necessity...or T1 if it is. The XPS 3-2 is very good as well, I had one before Sarge came out with the EACH but I sold it. Currently I am trying out a set up that is new to me...I was messing around with my RMR type sight (Doctor Optic w/2 MOA dot) and found that I liked it mounted @ the 12 o'clock position. Here is PIC
aac-sdn-6 011.jpg aac-sdn-6 014.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn't spend big money on 1x anything. heck, open sights are 1x :?:
If you want a quality red dot for the money, buy a used EOtech.
Used ones go for around $300-ish and they are easy to use and very durable.
If you don't like it, you can get your money right back out of it again because they are very popular.
Aimpoints are nice, but to me it's like looking through a scope, so why not spend that money on a 1-4x scope... :th_002:

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can't go wrong with a T1/H1. Mine is on an AR-15 SD gun in an ADM absolute co-witness mount - and is never turned off. I change the battery about every 18 months, just to be on the safe side.

For square range use with the SCAR-H, I do prefer a magnified optic, but that's just personal preference. I shoot more at 200M and over with the SCAR.

Open sights are indeed 1x, but perform poorly in low light. A Red Dot is just superior for low light as well a close range shooting.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't see how going with the Aimpoint brand can ever be a mistake. I've had them since 1985- The things just work.

If you have any eye problems, particularly an astigmatism, you might look at the Leupold Prismatic. My eyes are seeing a red splatter instead of a red dot anymore, and the Prismatic is similar in use without me having to decide which dot is real. I'm moving that way now, although they are kind of expensive for a 1x scope. It is, however, compact and built like a tank, so it's not just a typical scope in 1X with a funny reticle.

On my SCAR, I went with a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X, which gives me red dot-like use when set at 1X, but still has all the magnification I can see needing for longer shots.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't see how going with the Aimpoint brand can ever be a mistake. I've had them since 1985- The things just work.

If you have any eye problems, particularly an astigmatism...
Having both astigmatism and weak eye dominance, not to mention aging eyes - I can say without a doubt that the Aimpoint is optimal without those issues. I used to run my Comp ML3 (on a FAL no less) to 300 meters with no issues. Now I struggle at 200 Meters.

Having said that, the (Micro) Aimpoint is still my choice for the dedicated personal defense gun. Nothing else really compares. And the ML3 is still on that FAL.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Gotta agree with the fellas here. Aimpoint as a first choice and EoTech XPS as a second. Tried an EoTech 553 for almost a year and eventually replaced it. Didn't get "eaten" by the SCAR, but therr were a few compatibility issues that I just couldn't live with - virtually all of them having to do with the battery contacts & how they're mounted.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Another thing I prefer about Aimpoints is how you adjust the reticle brightness. No buttons to push, they all have a rotary switch with tactile feedback that you are turning it on / up / down and you don't need to look at the sight to make sure you are touching the correct switch like on most, if not all Eotechs. Also some of the Eotechs have the buttons in the back, so if you are pressing them you can't see the sight very well - all Aimpoints are offset or on the side, so you can look through the sight and adjust it to make sure you have the brightness level that you desire.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Like the Eotech Reticle, but dislike the battery life, durability, and size.
Same here, plus the buttons are harder to use with thick gloves and IIRC EOTech weight more as well. But I'd still prefer EOtech over Aimpoint because the reticle is more important to me than those other factors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts