FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many hunters and LEO already know, blue lights in a flash light is used to track blood. The blue light makes blood show up like a neon light so to speek.
Yes you can buy a blue filter for the M3 and M6 but I find the light from a filter is not quite up to par. So a true blue LED bulb would be better than a filter.
Anyway, since I have a spare Insight M3 light I decided to experiment.
For about $10, I aquired a set of blue LED Bulbs from a local Walmart.
These are the replacement blue LED windshield washer sprayers you find in the auto dept. The kind kids put on their cars. But they work as a good cheap supply of LED bulbs. Just cut the wires and pull the LED bulbs out.

Once you insert the new LED bulb into your M3 or M6, here is what you get.

BLUE BEAM 5 feet away

BLUE BEAM from M3 light

As a side note, the blue beam has quite a bit of range. I can light up the house across the street.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great post and very cool. I think I found my project for the weekend.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Cool idea, Can you switch back a white light bulb, or does the trimming negate that ability?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have multiple M3/M6/X2 bulbs so I can switch it back whenever I want.
But if you are talking about using the same housing over and over , to answer your question : NO.
The stock bulb is held in my glue. Once you remove the bulb, you also remove all the glue that secures the bulb in.
Now, if I had to i could reuse the trimmed housing but it wouldn't be worth the effort.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Side note: When removing the spring don't pull it, pry it from the housing carefully. I ruined one spring trying to pull it out.

Also, dumapus or anyone that is attempting this, if you have any problems I do have a spare Blue LED and a spare trimmed housing already done. I just don't have the spring for it. I only have ONE spare though. Its light enough that I can just throw it into an envelope with a .41 cent stamp if someone breaks their bulb housing trying this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts