FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently had an opportunity to try out the Integrated Sighting Module from Insight Technologies and so far I like what I've seen. The sight is a combination electronic sight ( 1X ) and visible laser unit that when both are on they are co-aligned on the target there is also a provision for a pressure pad so that one can activate just the laser when pressure is applied. The ISM is also night vision compatible with something like 6 of 18 settings being visible when viewed through a NVD. The ISM appears to be very sturdy and when attached to the rail has no apparent movement and has precise and positive click adjustments for zeroing. My only gripe is that the dot in the electronic sight is not as crisp as I would like ( as has been my experience with ALL electronic sights, my eotech included ) am I being to nitpicky???
Now for my dilemma, I have been waiting for an Elcan specter DR since last May ( which keeps getting pushed back I assume to fill govt orders ) and now I'm getting tired of playing the waiting game ( I've seen folks selling theirs online for some fairly high prices ). As a part time employee of a local gun shop I am fortunate to be able to purchase my goodies at dealer cost so my cost for a Specter would be considerably less than what I've seen online. So now the main question is should I wait for however long to get the Specter of should I spend only half as much and buy the ISM ( would the 4X of the Specter be that advantageous on the FS2K ? )
What would you do??? here are some pics of the ISM, Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
569 Posts
For the FS2K I'd take the Specter as the Specter's 4x max magnification can better utilize the 5.56's capabilities (if you were talking the CQB PS90 then the ISM would get my vote). HTH and keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Banned
83 Posts
:grin: I agree with tomac red dots and heads up displays are best used for closed quarters and unless you plan on hooking up with a nvd the other options on the ism are worthless. One thing to look at too ...is the red dot of the ism is visible to someone else using a nvd, which would light you up as a nice target by the glow from the front of your own scope.

The elcan would be worth the wait, since 4x is great for general .223 usage and the milspec versions of all elcan products are IR shielded.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i personally havent used this sight but in my opinion it is up to the user to decide if magnification is a must, or if a non magnified red dot is just as ok

whatever your personal preference is my friend

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
texfed said:
One thing to look at too ...is the red dot of the ism is visible to someone else using a nvd, which would light you up as a nice target by the glow from the front of your own scope.
If that were a concern, you can always get an ISM-IR, IIRC its IR shielded unlike the ISM-V.

·
Registered
350 Posts
im gonna say visible laser as opposed to IR laser can be seen by the naked eye, an IR or infra red laser cannot be seen by the naked eye but any thermal/night vision devise

·
Registered
569 Posts
One thing to look at too ...is the red dot of the ism is visible to someone else using a nvd, which would light you up as a nice target by the glow from the front of your own scope.
If that were a concern, you can always get an ISM-IR, IIRC its IR shielded unlike the ISM-V.
I believe he's referring to front-side signature; the lighting element of the red dot (not the laser) being visible from the front of the optic. This can occur with the Aimpoint and is one of the reasons they're issued w/an ARD Killflash.
Tomac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts