FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Muzzle away from you, left to right generally.

Reactions: jhs27275

·
Registered
980 Posts
So you install them and take them out the same way or is it left to right to take off and then right to left for installation?
The left side of the dovetail (at least the rear one) is very, very slightly narrower than the right side -- so if you try to install the sight from left to right, it just won't work -- without damaging the sight.

The dovetail is slightly tapered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah that makes sense. I'm looking at my sights right now and see what you're talking about. I'm assuming it's the same for the front sight unless the fnh decided to make our lives more miserable.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well now one says left to right and another says the opposite. So which way is correct. I still have my factory night sights and they work fine but I have been considering a change. Can someone please straighten this out for me?

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Kansas - I think Walt is saying you have to install it by pushing the sight in from the RIGHT to LEFT INSTALL and for you to remove them, you push the sight from the LEFT side of the rear sight to your RIGHT. That was my interpretation, correct me if I'm wrong but looking at the slots it makes sense. Haven't given it a try yet tho

·
Registered
980 Posts
There were no contradictory instructions -- just written guidance that wasn't clear about whether what was being described was for installation or removal. I wrote about the "install" step.

(I spent a number of years working as a technical writer when I was much younger, and learned that it's real easy to write so that you are understood, but less easy to write so that you're not MIS-understood! :) )

If the dovetail is narrower on the left side, there's only one way to take the sight out or put it in: if you try to it out through the narrow end, you'll damage the sights; if you try to install it from the narrow end, you'll waste a lot of time getting nowhere.

I first learned that a long time ago with a different gun; I really felt stupid once I realized why I was getting nowhere, but I was much newer to guns, back then, and didn't understand that some dovetails were narrower on one end. That's also ometimes the case with front dovetails, too. Other front sights are just snugly fit; some front sights are "staked" with a piece of the sight base that goes down through the slide and is flattened or bent to hold it in place; and still other front sights are held in place by roll pins and can't be adjusted...

Night sights can be more delicate than other sights, and a "universal sight pusher" can be a good investment for most shooters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts