FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
ShipWreck said:
not sure if U have to be a member and signed in to see the thread or not
Why not copy & paste the text for those of us who don't care for posts with only links to other sites.

I promise that if I post news, I will quote the text, paste the photos, and give any links as reference to the source.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'd need the guys permisison, and there are a lot of relevant follow up posts on that thread - so no easy way to do it...

·
Banned
328 Posts
I prefer links instead of cut and paste - especially for longer articles. I read them in a separate tab and you don't have to instantly start scrolling down to get to the comments on this site.

The story is a good lesson as to why you should not place rounds in the chamber and drop the slide on them. Also letting the slide snap forward Hollywood-style wears the slide stop on some guns and it can eventually stop working.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Morals of the story.

Not everyone is capable of the diligence necessary for owning a firearm.

1911s are not for the casual shooter.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That isn't supposed to happen - obviously, the pistol malfunctioned. So, once can't plan for that - however, it does make the point that when U load the chamber - point the gun in a safe direction.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The thread appears to be about a malfunctioning firearm and a shooter engaging in poor gun handling. Either is bad, but when both occur together the person is tempting fate. Trying to extrapolate from this scenario to formulate policy as to who can and cannot use 1911's is making more of this than it is. Every platform has pluses and minuses. If the person is well trained with the platform, the person will be fine with it. If the person is not well trained, that individual is likely to experience problems. The problems can be anything from not knowing how to reassemble the firearm to accidentally making the gun jam or fire. -This is why good training and practice to reinforce it are important.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
:evil: Never heard of the 1911 brand he has...although thats not saying much :oops:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
iCeMaN said:
:evil: Never heard of the 1911 brand he has...although thats not saying much :oops:
I have - Its a cheaply made 1911 made in the Phillipines. It's the same company who also makes Charles Daley 1911s. While the brand has a following, I don't think I'd ever buy one. I've read too many horror stories about off spec parts/frames.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Trying to extrapolate from this scenario to formulate policy as to who can and cannot use 1911's is making more of this than it is.

I wasn't extrapolating from this story - I already held the opinion about 1911's before I read it. Given the choice something like an XD or a Sig 220 is a better carry for users who shoot less. A single action trigger is not something you want in the hands of a person under stress (ie in a life or death situation).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for that ship.. I"ve been lurking on THR for ever, and reading that thread I was compelled to join and share my own story.

Thanks again.

A2

·
Registered
156 Posts
kanthek said:
I wasn't extrapolating from this story - I already held the opinion about 1911's before I read it. Given the choice something like an XD or a Sig 220 is a better carry for users who shoot less. A single action trigger is not something you want in the hands of a person under stress (ie in a life or death situation).
It's not the Single Action trigger of the 1911 that presents the problem. It's a matter of training. If you are pulling the trigger before you are ready to fire or want to fire, you are probably going to experience an AD/ND. With DA/SA guns like the Sig 220, you have to realize that after the first shot the action switches to Single Action so a person who has weak gun handling skills is going to confront some of the same things he would with a dedicated Single Action pistol. -I have seen LEO's AD/ND on the range during their handgun qualification with Beretta pistols, Sig pistols, and HK pistols that were DA/SA. It's not the gun, it's the shooter.

No action or platform is going to entirely safeguard the shooter from his or her own mistakes. People have accidentally shot themselves (or their property) with every major model of pistol on the market. This is more of a software than hardware issue. -If a person is unsafe with a 1911, the person is unsafe. The individual would be unsafe with a Sig 220, a Springfield XD, or anything else you stick in their hands.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I think this was a malfunction of the gun - if the sear and other parts are filed wrongly, or someone who doesn't know what they are doing works on a 1911 - it can actually go full auto - or this could happen.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Odd that none of this has shown up on 1911 forum. Wish he post it there to get opinons of 1911 pros. Had good service w/RIA just like FN.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I used to be a super huge 1911 fanatic. I have one I bought about 2-3 months ago, and I will be buying another one soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts