FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yea I know, The info leaves you with the feeling that FN gave us lawfull citizens substandard rounds use. I still am a bit perturbed about the whole thing with the SS198LF. It just makes no sence.

I really wish that another major manufacter would start making 5.7 rounds at a competitive price.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
indeed. it would be awesome if someone just came up with plinking ammo. :-?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Plinking ammo, Match grade ammo, glazer ammo, FMJ ammo, Heavy loads, light loads, subsonic loads, hair on fire screaming fast loads, I want verity. Verity is the spice of life.

If I could only get beer in Bud or bud lite I'd go back to drinking RUM, ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This is one area where I find FNH behaving like H&K.

It is also why I have not purchased, and will not purchase a weapon chambered in 5.7. If the rounds we are able to purchase legally are "substandard" for LE officers, why are they OK for us? The answer is that they are not.

Honestly, FN should have never offered any 5.7 weapon to the public if they weren't willing and able to supply the public with the best ammo available.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to be fair the weapon was offered before they decided to restrict the ammo.

·
Registered
873 Posts
That I did not know.

I do have an interest in the 5-7 USG. I know someone that owns one and loves it. But, the whole proprietary ammo thing is an absolute show stopper for me.

Even if a bolt gun is released in 5.7, an idea that I think is a step towards "mainstreaming" the cartridge, it still would have to compete in a very crowded "varmint" gun market. To do that it would have to have more than one ammo outlet, and the loading would have to be "hot".

Is FNH willing to do that?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if they release the bolt gun, then it is definitely more likely.

ideally, we need one or two other manufacturers that can produce variety and quantity with quality.

·
Registered
873 Posts
But the round will always carry the "Cop killer" notariety because of it's abilities.

Or course any center fire rifle is equally able to defeat vests, but everyone focuses on the 5.7.

I hate politics.

·
Administrator
11,194 Posts
You can get a wide variety of ammunition for the 5.7 from Elite Ammunition on the web.

Most if not all of this ammunition out-preforms the FN ammo and has higher velocities than anything that FN puts out, even the SS198LF.

I also think that BACA provides ammunition for the 5.7.

If I had an FFL I would also produce ammo for the 5.7, but alas, the local yokels will not let me mass produce ammunition in my house on my property in a residental area. I can load 1,000,000,000 or more rounds for my personal use but I can not load a single round for commercial sales. And it is not the ATF stoping me, it the local county yahoo's.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But the round will always carry the "Cop killer" notariety because of it's abilities.

Or course any center fire rifle is equally able to defeat vests, but everyone focuses on the 5.7.

I hate politics.
i had to explain that to a sheeple the other day. they were aghast. :roll:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can get a wide variety of ammunition for the 5.7 from Elite Ammunition on the web.

Most if not all of this ammunition out-preforms the FN ammo and has higher velocities than anything that FN puts out, even the SS198LF.

I also think that BACA provides ammunition for the 5.7.

If I had an FFL I would also produce ammo for the 5.7, but alas, the local yokels will not let me mass produce ammunition in my house on my property in a residental area. I can load 1,000,000,000 or more rounds for my personal use but I can not load a single round for commercial sales. And it is not the ATF stoping me, it the local county yahoo's.
true about Elite and BACA, but it would also be great to be able to buy 5.7 at quite a bit less than 80 cents to a dollar a round.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hey just for the record I have nothing against Baca or Elite. They both provide unique ammo. I'm just looking for some verity in over the counter ammo that I can get at my local shooting ranges other than SS195(Meat) and SS197(Potatoes).

·
Administrator
11,194 Posts
Hey just for the record I have nothing against Baca or Elite. They both provide unique ammo. I'm just looking for some verity in over the counter ammo that I can get at my local shooting ranges other than SS195(Meat) and SS197(Potatoes).
Well, I gotta agree with the both of you. I would also like to some major ammo manufacturers get into the thick of things with the 5.7X28 but right now the ammo is proprietary and only FN makes the ammo in Belgium or through Fiocchi in the USA (for FN).

Untill FN grants a licencing fee to the major manufacturers, you will not see any OTC 5.7 ammo except from FN.

You know it the Ferrarri thing. Buy a Ferrarri and let anyone else work on the car and you just voided the warrantee. Same with FNH products and the ammo. Use any other ammo then what is produced by FN or their licensee and you void the warrantee. Their ammo ain't cheap either.

Knowing what I know now, I would have probably bought an MP5 instead.

Isn't buisness great?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Wait, non FN ammo voids the warranty?

Is that for real?

What a crock if it is.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
pinkpistolpacker said:
even their ammo using virgin brass?
Yes, its still a reload. AT the moment, FN makes the only "officially licensed" ammo for the PS90/Five Seven.

Short barreling the PS90 voids the warranty too - but people still choose to do it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts