FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Florida's statute on "armor-piercing" ammunition, I figured I'd post regarding my thoughts on the law's language. On first glance it appears as though Florida's law on "armor-piercing" ammunition allows someone to own "armor-piercing" ammunition as long as the ammunition is not intended to be used in a handgun. However, the statutory language seems to leave open the possibility that someone could be prosecuted by the State of Florida if he or she possesses "armor piercing" ammunition even if he or she does not own a handgun capable of firing the armor-piercing ammunition. Just throwing out a warning that even though the State of Florida may not be capable of obtaining a conviction for possession of armor-piercing ammunition if the accused person does not own a handgun that is capable of firing that ammunition, it does still appear as though the State of Florida could charge someone with possession of armor-piercing ammunition (a felony) if that accused person knew that the ammunition was "armor-piercing" and could be loaded in a handgun. Fair warning, the law as written seems fairly broad, which is unfortunate for any Floridian attempting to buy what can be legally described as "armor-piercing" ammunition capable of being fired in a handgun. I only present this information because I was thinking of purchasing some ss190 and I am now having second thoughts considering the wording and punctuation of Florida Statutes Section 790.13(2)(b).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Isn't there a federal law that's about the same?

I thought any AP rounds that are able to be used in a pistol are 100% no-no as per the ATF?

Since there are like 2 machine pistols that fire .308, .308 AP are illegal. Or is i be ignant?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Isn't SS190 technically not an AP round because it has an aluminum core with a steel penetrator?

I know it is restricted to Mil and Leo but I thought that was voluntarily done by FNH.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Isn't SS190 technically not an AP round because it has an aluminum core with a steel penetrator?

I know it is restricted to Mil and Leo but I thought that was voluntarily done by FNH.
ATF has said it's AP.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
And simple possession of AP ammo in Florida ia not a crime.

All of this has been covered numerous times.

·
Registered
443 Posts
They also say SB193 is AP but yet both don't fit the definition of what the law says to my understanding. Percentage of materials and such / size of bullet. Until court says otherwise, I would say AP because of magical ATF rulings.

In any case, if one in florida can own a rifle fires "AP ammo" but owns a handgun that can (thus running into problems). They could simply register the handgun as an AOW and turns into a whole nother class. But then ccw of AOW is bad bad bad.

Someone in OH did the same with their glock so that they could use 32 round mags. 32+ mags are legal, but put into a firearm, they are considered MGs :cry:

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Reactions: 00stormbringer

·
Administrator
11,398 Posts
The Florida AP ammo definition and law as it is written is rife with incongruities. I had a discussion of this very subject with the local States Attorney and he basically said that it is unenforceable the way it is written.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
B.A.T.F. definition of armor piercing ammunition....

“(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.”

Also....

It is important to note that the limitation on “armor piercing ammunition” in the GCA does not apply to projectiles manufactured exclusively from non-restricted materials such as copper and lead; it only applies to projectiles that include the specifically restricted materials, and can be used in a handgun. The framework will not apply to projectiles manufactured exclusively from non-restricted materials; licensed manufacturers will continue to be free to manufacture such projectiles without seeking an exemption.

I don’t see anyway that SS190 can be classified under Federal Law as armor piercing.

A) The projectile isn’t constructed from one of the prohibited materials

B) The projectile diameter is .224, .22 Long Rifle is .223 diameter. They state “larger than .22 caliber, guess what? There are NO projectiles that are .220 diameter, hence they must be referring to .223 & .224 diameter projectiles.

One of the KEY statements they make is constructed entirely from one or a combination of (the list of prohibited metals)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I'm sure they could argue .223/4 is larger than ".22 caliber". It's jacket weight is more than 25% it's weight as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts