FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be looking forward to seeing that project all finished. I have noticed that some of the factory receivers are smoother than others. There are variations from PS-90 To PS-90 in finish and definately sight picture. At some point I hope someone comes out with a legal barrel with no sleeve, that is a compliment to the overall looks. With the but stock extended somewhat it could possibly be legal( maybe ) to do a 16 in. barrel then a drop down to the rear weaver rail somewhat lower. I look at stuff from a functional level as to less barrel heat and better eye relief from a more compact unit.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
16" barrell:

The PS90 is 16" allredy. To make one without the shroud is going to be tough.

The reason for it simple. After the chamber, the barrel tapers down to 1/2 its diameter. To make a full length 16" barrel that is not pencil thin, one would have to drill out the receiver. That would not work either - because then the barrel could not recoil inside the receiver. It's not impossible, but definitely not a post cosumer drop in thingy dingy.

The only thing you can do is buttress the inside diameter of the chambers where the barrell recoils for longevity and accuracy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why could the barrel not just be a bigger diameter after the receiver , with a pinned anti-rotation lug. What I was referring to was to increase the butt stock so the barrel could legally be 16 inches. Currently there has to be a 2 inch break added to get the legal overall length correct.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Ah - I see what you mean. Instead of the sleeve - why not just a pinned hider at the end?

well, that is because there are 2 recoiling chambers in the receiver. 1 fore and one aft. The front one - houses teh recoil spring that allows the barrel to spring back and forth inside the receiver. As well, the sleeve prevent the barrel from pulling out of the receiver in the back.

If the sleeve/hider combo was not present, the gun would fire - but most ptobably only one round - since the barrel would continue on it's rearward trajectory - most likely not unlocking from the breach block and a new round would not be chambered.

This of course would result in some sort of damage to the barrel/receiver as the barrel would get jammed and contorted is some way/shape/form inside the receiver.

That is why the sleeve is full legth.

No way around this.

Cheers,

TH

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
I'm not sure about the lagality of that. If you make the sleeve/hider removable - albeit special tools and what not, you will be able to discharge at least 1 round with the barrel flopping around in the receiver - without the spring up front and all.

This would put the weapon under the 24" inch over all length and at that time the ATF "may" have something to say bout that.

Now, they would have to prove in court .. and blah blah and you would have to get a lawyer and blah blah and $10,000 later you would be free to go.

One could argue that if you own an AR15 lower, you are already owning an SBR because it takes oh what ... 1 minute to swap out the uppers?

One could also argue that without the sleeve, the weapon is not operable for all intese and purposes - TO THE LOGICAL CROWD.

One avenue to go with is to get the HALO 3" buttstock extender. THAN - you could chop off 3 inches from the hider and still maintain legal over all length without reducing the barrel length any.

Is it doable - yes.
Would it be costly - yes.
Is it worth it - in my opinion no. The 5.7x28 needs all the velocity it can get. Quite frankly - I prefer the 16" to the SBR.

Plus, I will be fluting the sleeve - to brake up the shiloutte a little and give it more cooling. Form follows function - always. :wink:

TH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the barrel could be made without a full length sleeve with a muzzle break for a total of 18 inches. It could have a 2 inch sleeve that slides over the barrel to the receiver and is pinned or screwed on to the barrel.Think of an AR15 gas block type . This would hold the barrel and eliminate the sleeve problems of excessive barrel heat.. Just an idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts