FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking for a scope for my 17. Anyone have experience with the 2x12 Spartan. I like the concept of BDC dials-takes the mil/moa figure **** out in your head out of the equation. I really like the reticle, and I've given up on any 1-6/8 scopes. They're too expensive and I don't like the reticles. I dig the nightforce 2.5x10, but I don't like the whole reticle illuminated. I prefer a dot and a BDC dial. I don't care for anything with a horseshoe or circle with SFP either, they just look cluttered to my old eyes at low mags. I have an ELCAN 1-4 and dig it for my 16, but I don't care for the 1.5-6. I need more mag 10-12 minimum to wring out the 17. It's on sale at SWFA for less than 1300. Thoughts?

·
Registered
983 Posts
My thought is that BDC only works perfectly for 1 ammunition type for 1 rifle in 1 weather condition at 1 altitude. If you're hunting pigs inside a few hundred yards it's no biggie, but if you want to hit long distance targets accurately you're better off with a mil/MOA scope and a ballistic calculator.

Additionally, 2FP scopes only have consistent reticle markings at a single magnification (the reticle stays fixed size while the object zooms), so the 2x-12x BDC markings will only be accurate for holdover at one point (probably 12x). This is fine, but can be confusing if you're at, say, 9x and wondering why you're missing 600m targets with the "6" holdover.

If you shoot long distance with a buddy/spotter you'll appreciate both having identical reticle units so you can call miss distances in reticle units without having to convert. "Half mil more windage" is much easier than "you're maybe seven feet left."

·
Registered
983 Posts
That being said, for close up work, looks like a nice compact scope, and would certainly have you on MoH all day long. Just not my personal preference.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I haven't got any experience with that particular model, but I've owned Valdada's before and found them to be really well made, just heavy.

Like Gos, I don't care for BDCs either, for the same reasons. A key feature for me is reticle-turret agreement. If the scope turrets are calibrated in mils, then the reticle is calibrated in mils. Or MOA/MOA. It pulls some math out of the equation.

I don't know if you've had a Super Sniper (That's SWFA's house brand) but they're pretty well made and pack a lot of value in their scopes.

SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope

This one's got a little more mag than what you're looking for, but it's half the $ than the Valdada and IMO has a better reticle.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks guys, sounds like the BDC is not going to be that helpful. I've bought stuff from SWFA, just never looked through their scopes. I'll hold off for now until I can get to a gun show in Dallas. I just can't buy something without looking through it first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts