FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't even know there was a small hole until I was reading the owners manual. I looked at my rear site and there looks to be a small hole but it is tilted down towards the front of the rifle.

I can not seem to move it up. How can I do this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Press on it with your thumb nail in the direction opposite of the small peep sight until it pops up. If you've never done this before and your rifle is brand new, it will be on the stiff side. It's normal though as it was meant to be by design. As you do it, the sight will get a little easier to switch back and forth, but not so much that it gets loose and switches unintentionally. Keep in mind as well that there may be some of the packing grease in the sight aperture which could also be gumming it up. Both my 16 and 17 had some in the rear sights. It was easily fixed though when I sprayed some cleaning oil in there and brushed it out with a nylon cleaning brush (same one that comes with a standard AR-15 cleaning kit). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks got it up.

Quick question, does the small hole help with aim a lot? I had difficulty hitting a 16"x16" target 80 yards out with the big hole.

What should I keep windage and elevation to when trying t hit an 80 yard target?

·
Vendor
1,756 Posts
The small hole improves on your eye's depth of field.

If I recall, the openings are about the same as on an AR, with 0.200 for the large, and 0.070 for the small one.

In daylight, your pupil will be around 0.125 in diameter, so the large opening will do nothing to help focus, it serves as a reference frame to center your eye in the correct position.

By switching to the small 070 opening, you get about a 40% reduction in the blur you see on the front sight/target, which is very noticeable and will help accuracy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as adjusting the iron sights. Start on page 29 of your manual. It covers adjusting the sights and how to zero the sights. After completing the zero at 25 meters you will be able to adjust for windage and elevation.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes it does. The big hole is for quick close in shooting for hits on a 18x18 target. The small one aids in deliberate fire at longer ranges

1 - 7 of 7 Posts