FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone got any information on zeroing:target: the SCAR 17s iron sights ? Someone had told me the lowest setting on it starts at like 100 yards ??? Well still saving for my Vortex Viper PST so gotta use the IRONS for now . Thanks guys , Im wanting to sell my AR15 now and get a SCAR16 for company :shock: , must be some kind of addiction or something lol !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Zero 25m. This will give u a 25/300 zero. Use the front sight to adjust
the zero.

after use the drum to hit 200,300,400 etc etc.

more info in The owners manual

·
Registered
505 Posts
I am using the above target today to help dial in the iron sights.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If anyone happens to be zeroing and if you dont mind, Check to see how many clicks your rear sight has from side to side. I read that there should be a total of 36 clicks, 18 from either side to align the white marks. My rear buis has around 40 and some clicks are audible and others are not. I am gonna call FNH tomorrow and see whats up

·
Registered
505 Posts
I am using the above target today to help dial in the iron sights.
This range day didnt happen. Hope to hit the range tomorrow though. This target looks pretty good for the Irons.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If anyone happens to be zeroing and if you dont mind, Check to see how many clicks your rear sight has from side to side. I read that there should be a total of 36 clicks, 18 from either side to align the white marks. My rear buis has around 40 and some clicks are audible and others are not. I am gonna call FNH tomorrow and see whats up
Easiest way to do it would be to run it all the way to the left or the right first. Then count the clicks as you go all the way from 1 side to the other. Then move back half that # to put you in the middle. From there you can work it left or right for adjustments as needed.

Standard M16A2's have their setups for 33/300m. I'm guessing the difference in twist rates is what makes the bullet rise faster in the beginning.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm guessing the difference in twist rates is what makes the bullet rise faster in the beginning.
The imaginary line through the center of the bore out to infinity is known as the line of departure (LOD). As soon as the projectile is free of the mechanical constraints of the bore, it immediately drops below the LOD about 1.5" (In the case of a 5.56 AR) as gravity acts on it. The reason the bullet (any bullet) arcs during it's flight path is because the sights elevate the muzzle. In the case of the M16 FOW, 33m is where the projectile comes back up to the LOD because of the aerodynamics of the bullet and it's speed counteract gravity. The upward arc continues based on the elevation of the muzzle at launch. The projectile reaches the apex of this arc - known as the maximum ordinate - and then begins to fall due to loss of velocity and the effect of gravity. The bullet then crosses the LOD once again at 300m for an M16 FOW with a 20 inch barrel or 250m with a 14-16" barrel.

Think of a Hornet as it's launched from the deck of a carrier. As soon as it's free of the deck, the aircraft dips and then rises as it's engine and wings provide the necessary velocity and lift to keep it in the air.

Twist rate is important in that it spin stabilizes the projectile, allowing it to fly more efficiently through the air, but this is where you get into bullet design and construction as well as ballistic coefficients. Spin stabilization also causes spin drift, which is a 'nother can of ballistic worms.

And a big middle finger to my instructor - you know who you are - who accused me of sleeping through his external ballistics class.

Reactions: Swampmonger

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mine has 39.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I counted mine about a month ago. It was 38 or 39. I just line up the two reference lines on the sight and my POI is centered so I figure it's good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts