FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just wanted to get a set of ironsights that will fit on a 1 inch picitanny rail. I have found some on the internet but they are in the price range of about $150+ I am hoping to spend around $50. I don't want a cheap red dot sight, since I have an eotech 516. I want some ironsights that can be used and abused and used as backups.

I would like a 2 piece set like I have pictured below send me a link if you find anything. thanks!

Here are some pictures from COD4 of what I like:

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
This has come up 1 or two times. Getting those on the rail AND an optic will take some doing - however, if you get one of those tiny Dr Optic size red dots - you MIGHT get it all to fit. You'd have to leave them folded down until you need them, however.

Decent rail mounted, fold down sights will cost you $150-$200 for a set of front and rear sights.

Honestly, I think the idea is silly. Granted, I do have the built in back up sights on my standard PS90. However, if that's what you want - go for it. But, you won't find anything worth having for $50 total.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
devildoc said:
What is that, Airsoft? :-D
It is from COD4 as I already stated...it is hard to find pictures of items people haven't taken many of in real life. get over yourself there is nothing wrong with using a VIDEO graphic as a reference.:roll:

Here is a REAL photo:

Shipwreck:

Yeah I know it is kinda stupid, in fact that is what EVERYBODY tells me, but it doesn't change the fact that I like them and want them. I think ironsights are an important item to have as backup on any firearm. I guess I may just have to pay out the cash for them.

I should have been more clear, I want to be able to swap from my eotech sight over to iron sights at certain times. That is why I want them

When I was shooting the HK MP5 I loved the ironsights on that gun, I think they worked absolutely perfect. SO that is why I would like a pair to fit onto my PS90, I want to be able to have my choice between either using my eotech by itself or using the iron sights by themselves.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Realize that unless you buy that eotech mount with the "throw ars" if you take an EOtech on and off, you'll have to do some minor sighting in each time to fine tune it.

I don't take mine off.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
I looked into this myself and found it to be a poor solution. I sure don't have to tell you how misleading those irons are on COD4. Great game and a beauty of a weapon render when you play it on an HD tv with HDMI cables....but....the added height from irons get you even FURTHER from the barrel line, and that is ALSO not good.

Someone mentioned to remove all optics and just use the top of the rail itself. It wouldn't be hard to put two dots on the top of the last rail closest to your eye and one dot on the top of the rail near the front of the weapon. This would then work exactly like pistol irons.

Again, as you know, with such a short span this is really ineffective...but dooable in a pinch. When all said and done the distance between the irons would be SMALLER than the sights on my Glock 27. I can't hit much beyond 30 feet with my G27.

I am wondering..... can you even MAKE something that look like pistol sights that slide into the rails and are just snug enough to stay in place? Perhaps something out of balsa wood would work. But for a final workable model would some plastic with a bit of double sided tape work in a pinch?

Something like this rear sight... with a similar one with one post for the front:

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ick:

I think that you bring up a very good point. I wonder if I was able to find some 1 inch dovetail handgun sights if I could mount them onto the PS90. The other idea I had which I am not fond of is buying one of those TRUGLO shotgun sights that sits flat on the rail.

Like this one:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=476884

Thanks for the feedback I may search around for soemthing like pistol sights instead now. Good call :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Someone here (I forget who) mounted a fiber optic rod in the trench of their rail. There was pics posted too. It may have been Tomac, but I can't swear it was hime - a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
As I have stated in the past, I think the best way to put usable and low profile BUIS on a TR is to use these Kel-tec iron sights.
Two of these and a fiber optic rod will work.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Look, having your sight radious 4 inches apart is not a good idea. Kind of limits your ability to hit something accurately out to about 25 yards. Spending 200 or 300 bucks to get that level of accuracy is just throwing money away in my opinion.

Games are games. Don't waist your money.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
devildoc said:
Look, having your sight radious 4 inches apart is not a good idea. Kind of limits your ability to hit something accurately out to about 25 yards. Spending 200 or 300 bucks to get that level of accuracy is just throwing money away in my opinion.

Games are games. Don't waist your money.

My 2 cents.
I appreciate the advice and will definately consider it.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just wondering. I'm assuming you have the tri rail version that doesn't appear to have the BUIS built in like the white/black ring scope versions.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Someone here (I forget who) mounted a fiber optic rod in the trench of their rail. There was pics posted too. It may have been Tomac, but I can't swear it was hime - a long time ago.
Yep, it was me. I mounted a piece of green fiber optics at the front of the rail and a piece of red at the rear. Distance makes the brighter green appear to be the same size as the red. When aiming place the green on top of the red w/the target on top of the green. Could bounce liter coke bottles at 50yds if I did my part. I believe these were what I used, the fiber optic mounts needed a couple of file strokes to fit the rail trench: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=456904
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=110368
Not high-tech or sexy, but they're inexpensive and they worked...
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
IIRC Tomac, didn't you put the fiber optic rod into a optic rail that had a center groove? The PS90TR doesn't have a center groove.
Maybe mount fiber optic rods onto the side of the top TR rail???

·
Registered
569 Posts
tqtran said:
IIRC Tomac, didn't you put the fiber optic rod into a optic rail that had a center groove? The PS90TR doesn't have a center groove.
Maybe mount fiber optic rods onto the side of the top TR rail???
Correct! However, you could JB Weld or epoxy the fiber optics directly to the top of the TR's rail, it should leave enough rail for an optic placed between the fiber optics.
Tomac

·
Registered
569 Posts
mpwrian said:
Tomac, how about a photo or two of the fiber optics mounted on your rail. I for one would like to see this set up.
Sorry, I no longer own those PS90's or have the photos. :oops:
Tomac

1 - 20 of 25 Posts