FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an FNP 9. I love it and keep it loaded with Gold Dot HPs in my nightstand. I do have a habit of pulling it out and messing with it. I always felt it was good to be familiar with target acquisition and reloading should the situation ever arise that I need to do both quickly. You've got to know your gun to shoot it well.

I've noticed that, through pulling the mag out and putting it back in, the top round in the magazine has some wear on the casing. It's not dented, just worn on the silver finish. It's also showing the same wear at the top of the casing near the bullet itself (again, not dented). I just want to make sure that the wear on the side of the casing won't cause any problems and that the wear on the casing near the top won't cause any pressure issues when it's fired.

This is my first gun and I just want to make sure that I'm not doing something that will compromise the top round in the magazine.

Thanks.

*Just a note: When I practice reloading, I'm not using the loaded magazine, I'm using the two spares that came with it.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I noticed that on some 115 gr gold dots I had. I've been doing the same thing with mine (and it's my first pistol as well). The rounds fired and fed fine. The gold dots are nickel plated, so unless you start seeing brass under the nickel, I wouldn't worry.

As a side note, I have noticed this as much with my 124 gr +P gold dots.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've put over 1800 rds. through my FNP9 in the last 5 months. Every time I've unloaded to dry-fire practice I've found the same marks on any ammunition I've shot. You'll probably also see brass (or nickel) rubbed off on the bottom of the slide when you break it down for cleaning. I find some solvent takes it right off and I've never had a single problem with the weapon. Enjoy her and treat her right!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
The top round is probably rubbing on the bottom of the slide.

However - be aware that if you continuously unload the gun, and then use the SAME round to reload the gun again - over and over, you can experience bullet setback.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Setback can be an issue. but not so much with 9mm Gold Dots. The crimp on the GD case is very aggressive and combats setback nicely. The .40S&W is more prone to setback, but I've only had one .40 GD ever setback on me just slightly. This was after carrying it for months, rechambering it sometimes 2-3 times in a day.

I have carried the same 9mm GD in my G26 for almost a year. After swapping it out, a few range trips ago I finally shot it and it worked fine despite how scratched some of the cases were and how tarnished the copper jackets had become. Speer Gold Dots ROCK! :?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts