FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading how everybody wants to buy the SEAL lower.

Well, I personally bought FN Mags and now did I am wondering if I made a mistake and should have bought the SEAL lower?

Why is there so much hype for this? Is it only because you can use PMAGS?

Does anyone here prefer the normal FN lower?

·
Registered
687 Posts
I wouldn't say I prefer the FN lower, and I'm still undecided if I want to get a SEAL lower or not, but I've got a pretty significant investment in FN mags. So I'm trying to decide if that outweighs the convenience of having magazine compatibility with my S&W M&P10 rifle. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I am not sure how the investment in factory mags factors in...Sarge is making a version that takes the factory mag:
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/53343-s-e-l-s-mk3-mod0-mk4-mod0-pictures.html
If I get one it will be the one that accepts OEM mags.

I really, really, really want a SEAL. Really, really. I think Sarge is about to unleash a truly superior product.

The trouble is that at this point my wife has really, really, really had it with my little "hobby". Really, really. So the question is when I can get away with buying one...Actually, I want to get two (one black and one FDE). But don't tell my wife.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've got a decent pile of OEM mags so I will not be buying the SEAL. Not because I don't think it will be an improvement on the platform but because I don't foresee having a problem with the factory lower. If something happens to it, I'll go ahead and buy the SEAL that accepts OEM mags.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Odd thread.

I wouldn't refer to interest and excitement, as "hype".

It all has to do with offering options that do not take away from the weapon while incorporating modifications that both the professional trigger puller, as well as the casual shooter benefit from and can appreciate. Making something for the sake of making it is not something I'll ever do. If the design impedes the function of the weapon in any way, I will not move forward on it.

Better ergonomics, coupled with a generous magwell opening, a choice between FN or Magpul magazine, along with other proprietary features incorporated in all SEAL variants, is what sets the SEAL apart.

Is is it for everyone? As much as I would like to say that's the case, no, it's not. The customer who does purchase the SEAL is obviously doing so for good reasons, as he has decided that the product is what he wants.

As I've stated previously, there is nothing structurally inferior ("WRONG") with the FN OEM polymer trigger module, and I see no need to throw FN & FN's engineers under the bus to sell SEAL modules. They will sell themselves to shooters who see the benefits the SEAL offers...

-SS

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Personally I don't own any PMags, nor do I see anything wrong with the factory lower. Now if I have a problem with the factory lower not functioning properly, pin holes becoming oblong, things getting loose etc then yes, I would consider the SEAL as a replacement. But since I am using the scar gently (compared to combat conditions) I think it will last my lifetime as is. So no, I see no need to buy one. And especially until they are out being used in the world. No offense Sarge, but I don't like being part of the first run of anything. If there are any problems they will be hammered out after the first run has been hammered on for a while. Not that I expect problems like some other lowers out there, but there is always something...

Reactions: s4mur41h4x0r

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Personally I don't own any PMags, nor do I see anything wrong with the factory lower. Now if I have a problem with the factory lower not functioning properly, pin holes becoming oblong, things getting loose etc then yes, I would consider the SEAL as a replacement. But since I am using the scar gently (compared to combat conditions) I think it will last my lifetime as is. So no, I see no need to buy one. And especially until they are out being used in the world. No offense Sarge, but I don't like being part of the first run of anything. If there are any problems they will be hammered out after the first run has been hammered on for a while. Not that I expect problems like some other lowers out there, but there is always something...
No offense taken.

The only problem was timing. Some nut-job decided to shoot up a school and that set the SEAL on the back burner at my vendor. Once things returned to some semblance of normalcy, my vendor was able to put the SEAL back on track.

Testing proved the QD sockets to be a hindrance while accessing the fire control selectors so I deleted them.

If it works, keep it. If it's garbage, get rid of it... and always move forward.

-SS

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Better ergonomics, coupled with a generous magwell opening, a choice between FN or Magpul magazine, along with other proprietary features incorporated in all SEAL variants, is what sets the SEAL apart.
And let's not forget another really big feature: it isn't polymer. To be sure, I have had 0 problems with the OEM lower, but the 17s is my SHTF rifle. So any extra ruggedness is a huge plus.

People can have their own opinions, but I still think that, with the right timing, it will be worth risking the wrath of my wife. And that really says something about the SEAL because my wife is Vietnamese (well, Vietnamese-American): you don't mess with the Vietnamese lightly.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Why wouldn't I buy one is the better question to ask? The reputation, history and excellence of this company and the brains behind it is enough to propel me forward to make the purchase; there was really no question in my mind. I don't own any AR's and I don't own any PMAGS but I will soon own a couple of S.E.A.L.S.:)

BBG-

·
Premium Member
9,527 Posts
The trouble is that at this point my wife has really, really, really had it with my little "hobby". Really, really. So the question is when I can get away with buying one...Actually, I want to get two (one black and one FDE). But don't tell my wife.

Man, I hear this. My wife has had her fill of "Honey, this is the last thing I need." When I ordered the SOAMR the other day, she was eye-rolling me from across the room.

But that said, I'm eying one. But I can't make up my mind which way to go. I've been hankering for a Colt 901, and it would be nice to have mag compatibility between the two. I'll probably have to break out the Magic 8-Ball for answers. Either way, it is nice to have choices. Never a bad thing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
well after a lot of thought I might be putting a deposit down on the SEAL. I just am not going to do it right away. I think the SCAR is a great gun as is and have had no issue with mine. I thought about the Cav but honestly I dont like the look of it. I thought about the Handle but after reading this forum not going to do that. so that leaves the Seal.

I want to see it tested still but I think it might be the way to go

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would consider buying SEAL if it was able to take both FN mags and PMAGS. Maybe with some kind of special adapter or something. I mean people were able to fit pmags in the Scar 17s with sanding, so why not make a lower that somehow fits both?

T

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I would consider buying SEAL if it was able to take both FN mags and PMAGS. Maybe with some kind of special adapter or something. I mean people were able to fit pmags in the Scar 17s with sanding, so why not make a lower that somehow fits both?

T
Never happen, too many variables to control and it becomes overly complicated. It was looked at and deemed cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
ive got a different lower i may put up on gunbroker and get the pmag seal. at some point i will finish out the oem lower for a quick swap between mag types. options are always good.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
The SEAL solves one problem for me in that the the trigger guard is rounded and not straight across. I have a crooked trigger finger that rubs slightly on the trigger guard and that gets irritating after about a hundreds rounds during the course of a session. That is my primary reason for being on the waiting list.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts