FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to find a source for some 30 cal black tip bullets and use them in the scar , any thoughts ?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
As tough as it is to find for us civis, I don't know why you'd want to shoot a lot of it through the SCAR other than enough to make sure it works reliably. I'm sure the chrome lined barrels will handle it just fine considered they are being used in full auto mode in the sandbox. Good luck finding a good source of it that can supply you with quantities that are affordable. Might be better off with some bronze/copper solids or some tungsten solids(if available in 30 cal.).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Some odd legalities on 308 and AP - think it's been classified as a pistol caliber in the BATF's infinite wisdom and is a big no no. From what I know, only 30-06 and M855 are allowable for civi use. Just check it before posting your experiences. Best

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see green tip 223/5.56for sale at Wal mart it has steel core penetrator tips and They make pistols that shoot 223/5.56 not sure why 308 is hard to find

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I see green tip 223/5.56for sale at Wal mart it has steel core penetrator tips and They make pistols that shoot 223/5.56 not sure why 308 is hard to find
Because it's not just a mild steel insert like the SS-109 projectiles or M855 aka green-tips, the black-tip sport a tungsten carbide (machined) insert that is real hard. Don't know why they would be hard on a barrel, they have a thick full copper jacket. At 4 bucks a pop (projectile only) I'd say your pocket will ware out first !

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Because steel tip penetrator is not AP ammo. Black tip 30 cal. is solid steel core and is considered AP.
Correct, but can have it in .30-06.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The 30 cal black tip is really hard on the SCAR 16 barrel. I would not recommend you try it. In fact, I think it will void your warranty if you shoot even 1 shot.

Really hard!
I would guess it would be a little hard on the 5.56 barrel to shoot a .30cal projectile, or was you just being facetious ? Do you really think the B.T. would be hard on 7.62 barrel and if so, because of no squashibility ? Would the lands cut through the copper ? :th_confused0024:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only reason we mentioned 5.56 is because the law says no AP in hand gun and yet 5.56 is available in Green tip which I have now learned is not really AP unlike the 30 cal Black tip and every body should know which scar goes with what caliber !

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Black tipped ap rounds are still just a copper jacketed round. They are no harder on a barrel than any other copper jacketed round.

Reactions: SONYtec

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
I would guess it would be a little hard on the 5.56 barrel to shoot a .30cal projectile, or was you just being facetious ? Do you really think the B.T. would be hard on 7.62 barrel and if so, because of no squashibility ? Would the lands cut through the copper ? :th_confused0024:
Sorry - I was trying to be funny. A 30 cal would be hard on a 556 barrel. I've got no input on the real question of steel core. My guess is it is a non issue, because if the stuff exerted enough force to tear up a barrel, you'd likely see overpressure issues, and consumers (including military) would be screaming bloody murder.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Because it's not just a mild steel insert like the SS-109 projectiles or M855 aka green-tips, the black-tip sport a tungsten carbide (machined) insert that is real hard. Don't know why they would be hard on a barrel, they have a thick full copper jacket. At 4 bucks a pop (projectile only) I'd say your pocket will ware out first !
$4 ea. just for the projectile!? Wow! Sure glad I ran into a guy that had cases and cases of the aught six black tipped (machined carbide inserts) ammo still in clips in MINT condition just about 10 years ago. $.25 a round. I bought them all. Haven't even touched them besides pulling one and cutting the jacket off to see the T.C. insert. Going to pull a few of them now to load them up in some of my Lapua cases I have and see how they fly in the 17 and one of my bolt guns.

$4 ea.? I still am in shock.

Reactions: BOOMSLANG

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
They bring a lot more than they are worth at gun shows, makes no sense to me but to each their own. God forbid you ever have to shoot someone, much less someone wearing level III or IV, but I imagine they are going to be freaking out too when you're doing full mag dumps at them regardless of the armor. Head, groin, leg and arm shots work wonders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts