FN Herstal Firearms banner

Is it a good gun?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  DocLRRP 
#1 ·
I was thinking about buying a FNP and i was woundering if it is worth buying? Is it reliable?
-Thanks

#4 ·
You all know the reliability of the Glock? Well....FN is in the same category....except people don't talk about them as much.....FNP's are every bit as good....I am basing that on firing them both side by side a couple hundred rounds on each trip to my shooting spot....or the range.
No faults seen in my perspective.

#5 ·
Im at about 1000 rounds and counting...no malfunctions on my FNP9-M. I love it, and Im proud of saying that it was my first real pistol purchase. There is only one thing that I can think of thats a bit different than the normal da/sa: the breaking point. it's not an instant break, theres about 1/4 inch pull until the break when the hammer is pulled back. Otherwise Ive heard in a few places that the slide is a work of art (not experienced with enough guns to pass judgement) and I do have to say that comparing it to my roommates Star BM (HAHAHA) is no contest.

Proud as hell to own one and I cant wait until the FN people come here (whenever that is) so I can shake their hand.

#6 ·
dahahn said:
Im at about 1000 rounds and counting...no malfunctions on my FNP9-M. I love it, and Im proud of saying that it was my first real pistol purchase. There is only one thing that I can think of thats a bit different than the normal da/sa: the breaking point. it's not an instant break, theres about 1/4 inch pull until the break when the hammer is pulled back. Otherwise Ive heard in a few places that the slide is a work of art (not experienced with enough guns to pass judgement) and I do have to say that comparing it to my roommates Star BM (HAHAHA) is no contest.

Proud as hell to own one and I cant wait until the FN people come here (whenever that is) so I can shake their hand.

My friend said "the slide is just like a Sig."

Could be compared to worse...

#8 ·
YES

I am very impressed with my FNP-9 DA/SA Black. I have been a 1911A shooter for many years and have had some trouble getting used to the hinged trigger. The trigger is very good, not as good as that of the two stage triggers on my accurized match service rifles but still very good! The 1st SA stage has some creep, but most importantly is repeatable.

Before I bought this pistol, I went to the range with my friend who is a very accomplished pistol shot, and SWAT sheriff here in ATL. Having some fun, we put a bunch of rounds down range testing a Ruger P89 9mm, SIG 229 .357, Glock 22 .40, Beretta Px4 .40 and my M1991A1-80 Bullseye comp pistol. The Glock and SIG were my favorites next to my 1991, the SIG .357 muzzle blast was very noticeable over the others, including my .45, but the recoil was very manageable. I chose the FNP-9 based on reviews and my visits to gun shops that carried it.

I purchased it for $405 plus tax at Bass Pro after 10% off with Bass Pro credit card sign up. An unbelievable bargin now that I have first hand experience with the quality, handling and accuarcy of this handgun. My SWAT buddy has yet to shoot it but has handled it and had favorable comments regarding the trigger, weight and feel.

I have put a bit over 500 rounds of cheap UMC 115gr ball ammo thru it with no failures. In 'failure to stop' drills, DA first shot and 2 more as quick as possible, 2 to body and one to head, I felt very comfortable. It is very fast, very accurate, fits my hand like a glove.

I was not a fan of plastic guns, but this experience has convinced me that they have a place among the revolvers and 1911's that us older gen shooters grew up with. I am 6'4" and weigh 200 lb.s and never had a problem wearing a 1911 frame gun, but this one I can just about put in my pocket without feeling weighed down. Yes the 9mm, is a midget compared to my .45 round in power, but I have 16+1 compared to 7+1 in the 1911, which in my mind is an advantage in a confusing fire fight where over whelming fire superiority may save my life.

I will not ditch my 1911, but the FNP-9 is my new little friend.

#9 ·
WHATSAMATTAYOU!!??
This is a hell of a pistol! Pound for pound, I would put it up against any of my SIGS. It is one hell of a lot better than the S&W M&P, the XD line, and, I think, comparable to Glock.
I can only write about the 9 as that is all my experience is.

Buy an FNP?? FUHGEDDABOUBIT!!
Buy something else?? FUHGEDDABOUBIT!!

#11 ·
Well I for one am becoming more and more convinced, that there is an inherent design flaw in the Sear on the DA/SA FNP's

There's not enough load bearing surface where the Sear pin goes though the hole in the Sear. This combined with the flexible polymer wall of the Fire Control Group, Which the sear sits against. in some cases allows the Sear to tilt as the Sear Actuator lifts the Sear in Single Action. This can cause a FTF at the WORST POSSIBLE MOMENT! as the outboard bottom corner of the Sear does not lift high enough to Allow the hammer to drop.

THE SAO's single piece Sear is supported on the Sear Pin in two places as opposed to one and should lift uniformly. But I'd be really leary of the DA/SA FNP's.

Not trying to rain on the FN parade here...I love FN's but I'm not going to sit by and watch, pretending it ain't happening, if FNH is marketing a pistol to Law Enforcement, with a potentially deadly design flaw in the trigger group.

Pulling your weapon in order to save your life or the lives of others and then having the trigger go all the way to the trigger stop and NO BANG....is very bad juju.

#12 ·
This, obviously needs to be looked at further. Is this, in your estimation, a common problem or one that may be random.?? I am not trying to minimize what you are writing, just trying to get a fix on the extent of the problem you see.
Also, is this correctible by a gunsmith before it becomes a disaster??

#13 ·
Let me add that I have just tried replicating what you are talking about and cannot do it. I am not saying that you are wrong because you are seeing what you are seeing.
I have read your other posting re this problem you are seeing and I hope that you get something from every promotion in the history of the company. By the way, did you ask for the Blade Tech Promo??

Do you think that by chance you may have gotten a lemon.?? I cannot find anywhere a comment that says what you do. Obviously you have a great deal of gun experience. Most of us would not have ever thought to notice what you did. But, why can't we get the same problem result.
I truly look forward to hearing how things went when you get your gun back.
$400 is a lot of money and to be without it for such a long time must be painful. Still, I am willing to bet that the FN is at the low end of your gun collection prices. Be well.

#15 ·
I'd honestly like to believe I got a lemon...I really would, But I'm afraid all those Sear were cast the same. After mine started exhibiting this problem I Stripped down the FireControl Group in detail and once its apart the Casting marks on the Sear are quite evident. I suspect the tolerance of the Sear Pin hole is pretty much the same across the board.

What you want to do is pull the slide off and then pull the hammer back into single action. Watch as the Sear Actuator notch engages the the Sear Tab and begins to lift the Sear. Watch the back of the sear as it releases the hammer. The Sear should rise uniformly allowing the hammer to break evenly as the whole of the rear face of the sear rises. Also watch the Sear Pin Axis where the Sear Pin goes though its Channel in the Sear. Watch for any tilting movement here and for any flex in the wall of the Fire Control Group right beside the Sear.

I'd really like to see the bottom surface of the Sear on a couple of dozen DA/SA FNP's with 1000+ rounds on them. To see if the bottom outside corner of the sear exhibits wear, where the hammer has snagged it at the end of the hammer release. I wouldn't mind being able to examine the Sear Pin Holes in those Sears either. To see if they exhibited wear on the top of the outboard side of the Sear Pin hole and wear on the bottom of the inboard side of the Sear Pin hole. As this would also be indicative of the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.