FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the experts here on the Forum. I just bought a firearm that I am planning to immediately SBR. I have paid for the gun and am just waiting for it to be shipped to me. I am in contact with the manufacturer and have access to all the details regarding the firearm. My question is this: is it required by law for me to take possession of the firearm before I can e-file a Form 1? I know we are talking a week or two difference and thus I'm not terribly worried about it but the question is more out of curiosity than anything. Anybody have any insight?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I've filed a Form 1 for a firearm that I had not yet taken possession of, all I needed was the serial number, which the seller was more than happy to give me in advance of me taking possession once I told him that I wanted to get the Form 1 sent out ASAP

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Wait, what happens if it gets lost somewhere???

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't file anything until you have it in hand, not thats its illegal as you could be putting the serial number on your own build but it would be unfortunate if you didn't end up with the right receiver

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I wouldn't do it just because if anything does come up and for some reason you don't get that exact firearm then you're hosed.
Agree! Strongly!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are some good thoughts. From a large manufacturer with massive stock those are certainly valid concerns. However, I think from a private dealer who deals in specific firearms then it likely isn't a risk. Either way, thanks for the input. I appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts