FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only shoot maybe 20 rounds max in a day with the gun. Is there any reason to clean it after each use? I do not feel like breaking down the gun to clean it after each use when shooting so little.

Will anything happen to the barrel if I don't run an oil patch down it after shooting? I am most concerned about rust forming.

Basically my question is will I damage anything permanently or cause more rust if I only clean it once per month when shooting only 50-100 rounds per month?

I only ask because I read so many people recommending cleaning their guns after each use. It is hard for me to see why it would matter?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I am on the fence about this. I used to think it was not a good idea. But after hanging out with competition shooters (and a certain crotchety seargeant) I am leaning towards telling you to clean it every time. At least run a patch down the barrel with some solvent on it to loosen the copper, then a few dry ones, then one oily one. And buy an old fashioned shaving brush and lightly brush some oil on everything if you are worried about rust. You could do all this in 5 minutes. How much did you pay for the scar? Yeah, its worth it.

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I don't clean it every time. I went 8 months (not sure how many rounds but close to 1k) without cleaning it and it maintained its amazing accuracy. Its a clean shooting rifle. Its personal preference in the end. At one point some one was telling me that running solvents and abrasives down your barrel too often can induce premature wear.... I don't know if that's true but it doesnt seem that outlandish to me when I think about it.

Reactions: Bill 1911

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Since SCARS are my SHTF gun, I have one 17s that I use for testing and am looking at this issue. I am thousands of rounds (at least 3500) in without a cleaning and it is already evident from disassembly and inspection that what will likely eventually force the issue is crap in the piston.

This jives with the experience of a local range who had a rental 16s that they never cleaned. Finally the gas piston basically stopped working (the gun worked just fine with manual cycling). But that was at thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds. They cleaned out just the piston and the gun was GTG with 500 more rounds, at which point they decided to just do a thorough cleaning (for no particular reason).

So I think a SCAR can technically run a stupidly long time with no cleaning.

Is that a good idea for maximizing performance and parts life? Probably not.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you're truly shooting 20 rds per session I'd advise against it. That's a very high cleaning to shooting ratio. If you really want to do something you could pull a boresnake through it. I'd give it a thorough cleaning every 200 rds or so. I've got 500ish rounds through mine and I've cleaned it once other than the initial cleaning to get the packing grease off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After shooting rounds through the barrel, does that remove the oil and leave the barrel prone to rusting?

This is my greatest concern.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
After shooting rounds through the barrel, does that remove the oil and leave the barrel prone to rusting?

I will probably get jumped on for saying this, but as long as you don't store it in humid conditions, I have never had a problem with rusting in a chrome lined barrel. Only barrel I have ever had rust in was a non-chrome lined old Lee-Enfield, but that had been kept out doors for years.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Is it necessary to clean the scar 17s before or after each use?

No,

I drop some lube on the bolt occasionally, as well as run a bore snake through it from time to time.

Gone 6+ months and nearly 1K rounds without a detail cleaning. Suppressed as well.

No problemo.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I clean about every 500 rounds and in all honesty, you can probably get away cleaning every 1000 rounds. The SCAR gas systems runs so clean there is very little carbon or gunk that gets in the bolt or chamber.

Try doing the same thing with an AR and you'll see a very nice buildup of carbon and gunk all over the bolt and carrier. Not saying an AR is less reliable but the SCAR stays relatively clean.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Do you live in the Amazon? Smokeless powder down a chromed barrel will not do anything to accelerate rust unless you are dunking it in salt water before you put it away. If you don't want to clean it every 20 rounds, I'd say you are safe.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Unless you happen to live and shoot in a very humid environment at the time. Or are a super sweaty person or you drop it in water. The yes. Otherwise, disassembling and cleaning the gun after 20 rounds is unnecessary.

Though I suppose you could take 30 seconds, while assembled. And run a bore snake through it and wipe off excess moisture (if any) from the outside. Then you're good to go.

·
Vendor
1,765 Posts
I shoot competitively, and ALWAYS clean my rifle once per season, usually at the end of the season. :)

Reality is that when you lube a barrel, there is always a fowling period of 6 or 7 shots to get the lube out and start giving consistent performance.

Now, powder does leave hydroscopic residue, so if you are going to let it sit a long time in a humid environment, you do not want that residue attracting moisture. But over a period of a couple of days I do not think it matters. Obviously, Stainless or Chrome barrels will resist better than barrels in the white.

I once screwed up big time, sitting up at Camp Perry to shoot in the Nationals, and I was bored in my hotel room the night before the match, so I thought I'd just pull through a quick bore snake with just a little cleaner. I forget the brand, but it had teflon. First shots next morning were a 7 high and a 6 high, before it settled down. I shot reasonably well the rest of the day, once I knew I had screwed the pooch with those first two shots ....

·
Registered
170 Posts
I went 1500 rds before cleaning the piston. I noticed that the suppressed setting wouldn't cycle the gun anymore (I use slow burning powder so avoid the adverse/normal setting) and pulled the plug and saw that the gas ports had plugged off and the piston was seizing. Generally, I do a visual inspection on the gun after each use and clean the action/barrel every 300-400 rds. Living in Arizona helps too. You can do stuff to this gun that would shut you down easily with an AR platform. Very comparable to FAL reliability, but better accuracy.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.