FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my recent range session I had one failure to fire out of about 300 rounds fired. I'm not sure if it was a failure to feed or a failure of the trigger to reset.

This failure to fire reminded me of a couple of failures I've had previously. I'm pretty sure those were failures of the trigger to reset.

It occurred to me that these three failures all happened while firing offhand. I havn't had a failure while firing from a rest yet. I've had about 800 rounds through the rifle so far.

This makes me wonder if there is something in my stance or the way I'm holding the PS90 that led to the failures. Something similar to limp wristing a Glock. In case you don't know, if you hold a Glock loosely you are liable to get a failure to cycle as the frame itself isn't heavy enough to provide enough inertia to allow the gun to cycle.

I read on another forum where someone's trigger wasn't resetting. They sent their rifle in to FN, but said FN didn't fix it. The owner said he fixed it himself by putting powdered graphite lube in the hammer group. I had graphite lube in the trigger pack this time though.

What do you think? I don't like any failures in a defensive weapon, but figure I am still breaking in my PS90 and learning its idiosyncracies.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, I don't have my manual (its in the bank w/ my receipt - my insurance agent stated I must do this to prove ownership to make a claim - but that's an entirely different topic)... But, I'd swear the manual states not to oil or get anything on/in the trigger pack. U apparently never had this issue before until U put that graphite everywhere. I think MAYBE this was a mistake.

Maybe you should rinse the trigger pack out with water and let it dry. Just a suggestion.

I don't think the gun can be "limp wristed," and I'll tell U why.

When sighting in my laser, I had the gun sitting on sandbags in the middle and rear. I had the gun standing upright on the bags by itself - I did not have to touch it. As I centered my laser where I wanted it, I fired the gun standing over it, with the rifle on the table below me. I didn't want to move it accidentally while I was trying to zero the laser.

So, all I touched on the gun was the trigger itself. I fired this way a few times until I had it zeroed. Its so cool that U can do this with a rifle - most have a mag that hands down, or a shape that this wouldn't work as well as it did.

Anyway, I wasn't touching the gun at all. Granted, it was on a sandbag rest, but it was mostly just sitting on the bags... If the gun could be limpwristed - this surely would have caused it.

I'm betting on all that graphite as the most likely cause - somehow...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only had the graphite in the hammer group on this last session. In the first session with no lube I had two failures to fire that I believe were caused by the trigger not resetting.

I finally found my manual. I swear that thing has legs. The manual says:

"The PS90 carbine only requires minimal lubrication.

Excessive lubrication of the firearm or the presence of a lubricant inside the magazine or the hammer group will have an unfavorable effect on the reliability of the firearm and the longevity of the parts."

Since I had the trigger not reset and read about the dry powdered graphite tip I figured I'd give it a try. Use at your own risk. I used it very sparingly and since it is dry it shouldn't attract dirt.

The way you describe it, limp wristing doesn't sound possible. I'm reaching for any possible cause for my problem.

The manual mentions putting a "functional" lubricant on the guiderods, the ejector, and the extractor. I wonder what they consider a "functional" lubricant?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, so far, the only problems I've heard of from the PS90 were usually fixed simply buy taking the mags apart and cleaning the rollers. For what U have, U might have to call FN...

Sorry...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stripped the rifle and checked the hammer group and the bolt. If I understand what I'm seeing it looks like there is a part in the hammer group that won't let the trigger release the hammer unless the bolt is all the way forward.

I cycled the bolt a couple of times after I got the failure today, but that didn't help. I popped out the mag, cycled the bolt and checked for a jam, reinstalled the mag, cycled the bolt, and things worked. I'll clean the mags and if I get another failure like this I'll take a good look at what is happening. I'll also mark whichever mag I'm using when I get the failure.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
SunsetSam said:
I'll also mark whichever mag I'm using when I get the failure.
Yes, that's a must... That will definetly help U fiure out whats goin on. More than 1 mag, U may needa call FN. Only 1 mag, then ya got the issue solved...

·
Registered
569 Posts
The PS90 comes w/a "storage lubricant" that the manual says needs to be removed and replaced w/a "functional lubricant" (ie: your std firearms lube) before use. You might try a thorough cleaning of the breechblock followed by the few drops of "functional" lube where recommended by the manual if you haven't done so already.
I have a strange mag problem where the first shot fires but sometimes fails to chamber the 2nd rd (FTF) regardless of how many rds are in the mag. After manually chambering the 2nd rd the rest fire just fine. Go figure...
Tomac

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Shipwreck and Tomac.

If all else fails, RTFM (read the freaking manual). I fieldstripped the rifle when I first got it and blew all the styrofoam out. Everything looked squeaky clean, so I didn't think to clean out any storage lube. All I did before the first firing was squirt some Breakfree down the barrel and run a boresnake through it a few times.

I'll give her a thorough cleaning making sure to clean the breechblock/ejector/extractor area well.

Would 3-IN-ONE oil work as a functional lube? I wish the FN manual recommended one.

·
Registered
569 Posts
SunsetSam said:
Thanks Shipwreck and Tomac.
If all else fails, RTFM (read the freaking manual). I fieldstripped the rifle when I first got it and blew all the styrofoam out. Everything looked squeeky clean, so I didn't think to clean out any storage lube. All I did before the first firing was squirt some Breakfree down the barrel and run a boresnake through it a few times.
I'll give her a thorough cleaning making sure to clean the breechblock/ejector/extractor area well.
Would 3-IN-ONE oil work as a functional lube? I wish the FN manual recommended one.
You're welcome, hope it helps. There's been some controversy over what FN considers to be an acceptable "functional" lube since the manual has a number of caveats (like don't use a lube that's Teflon-based, for example) that seems to exclude a number of popular lubes yet somewhere else (sorry, don't remember where) they recommend CLP which is Teflon-based. Since so little is required (what, about 4 drops total?) I just use the CLP that I already have in quantity.
3-In-One says it's a light general-purpose lubricant that might be adequate but considering the cost of the PS90 I'd suggest getting a decent firearms-specific lube (Miltec come to mind if you don't like CLP).
Keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
When I brought mine home, I too got out the styrofoam, but I also cleaned the thing well. I ALWAYS clean a new gun (br is pistol, rifle, whatever) before I take it to the range the first time.

I use Breakfree CLP - I think its even mentioned in the rear of the manual that this is what they recommend. I have used it for years, though.

U can buy the aerosol cans of the stuff at Wal-Mart, although I prefer the bottle (with the can, U always run out of propellant and there us still oil left inside). If U can't find the bottle anywhere, try the can from Wal-Mart.

Since U are gonna clean everything, I'd wash off the trigger pack and let it dry well, I haven't messed with that part of the gun.

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using Breakfree CLP and have some Hoppe's Elite. I've been using the Breakfree mostly since it is older and I want to use it up. Breakfree is the only lubricant I saw mentioned in the manual.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I think overtime, Breakfree gets old and the stuff seperates inside. U should shake it before using, and it its too old, throw it away and buy some more. I thought I read this someplace....

Then again, what do I know

·
Registered
569 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I think overtime, Breakfree gets old and the stuff seperates inside. U should shake it before using, and it its too old, throw it away and buy some more. I thought I read this someplace....
Then again, what do I know
You're right, it definitely does separate over time so a good shaking is in order before use.
Tomac

·
Registered
29 Posts
That CLP thing confused me, too, because it has teflon - and it's also recommended on the company website. It made me wonder if there was a copy editing problem with the company that printed the manual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts