FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that if you drop a partially loaded P90 magazine on the ground it'll cause the rounds to get mix up and jam up inside the mag. Is this really true?

Just curious, thanks.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Drop any magazine hard enough when they are half loaded and you'll have some issues. I just can't figure out why anyone would have a half empty magazine out of the gun. It holds 50 for a reason, it's see thru for a reason, reload when you get near the end if it's really needed.

I actually tried this when I first got my PS90, and it didn't have any ill effects, but again, I wasn't about to throw the magazine down on the ground to test it out. I dropped it from waist high right on the bottom of the magazine, and nothing happened.

Zhur

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Did U hear the rumor a year or two ago - that if you dropped the mag, not only would the rounds mess up like that - but you also couldn't get into the mag, as it was completely seals... That "rumor" was stated by someone that is a regular on another website - and that person works at a gun store...

Most gun "rumors" are just that - rumors...

Now, I have never dropped a loaded mag for the PS90 before. And, as stated above - if the mag is on the gun, there is no reason it would fall.

Now, the mag is polymer. I assume that if you dropped it from a high enough height - it might break. But, take care of your stuff. I have yet to see anyone here ever state that they dropped a PS90 mag and had this happen. So, I'm not too worried....

·
Registered
475 Posts
i have yet to hear of it happening either, i wouldn't worry about it too much any magazine you drop can become damaged the magazine is probably the weakest link of any semi-auto firearm. when you train becareful of where/how you drop them, for the ps90 since the mag does not drop free you might as well take the extra second and retain the mag in a dump pouch before loading a fresh one

·
Registered
89 Posts
I ran our 24 hr patrol rifle classes last October for 50 officers and we shot around 25K rounds. We did repeated transition drills etc where the mags were dumped on concrete with all different amounts in side them....not one failure, mixup or whatever. I only had one mag break out of 24 from being dropped on concrete (on ear popped off the round section).

Not bad in my book.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mags unreliable?

9 years now, never a mag problem. Maybe I'm lucky but still a good performance recommendation.
/john

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know that the rounds can easily be stripped from the mag when the mag is dropped. I replaced my mag springs with ones from magazineparts and it takes significantly more force to strip a round from a dropped mag. The new mag springs offer a tighter fit and have funtioned well.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Welcome as well! I give :? :? for magparts springs!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ak mags are just like every other mag's. Then again, I wouldn't own a AK if you paid me. I'm not a AK fan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts