FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my slide lock on my fns on one side holds the slide, but on the other side the lock is a few mm away from the back of the notch on the slide.

is this normal?

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I noticed that my slide lock on my fns on one side holds the slide, but on the other side the lock is a few mm away from the back of the notch on the slide.

is this normal?
:idea:DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE SO SOMEONE ONE OF THE TECHNICAL SUPPORT STAFF CAN HELP YOU.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
That's how all of FN's ambi slide stops are designed. Less friction you have to work against to release the slide and should be other side fail, it's kind of a backup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i see. that makes sense.

do you use the slide lock to release the slide or pull the slide back, seems like a lot of friction and wear to just pull the lock down.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I never use the slide lock lever to release the slide.
Hence the name: Slide lock lever.
As opposed to: Slide release.
Page 17 of the manual calls it a Slide Stop Lever.
...and you're right about unnecessary wear that using it as a slide release can cause.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
i see. that makes sense.

do you use the slide lock to release the slide or pull the slide back, seems like a lot of friction and wear to just pull the lock down.
I pull the slide back (which happens to be FN's suggestion, but say that using the slide stop can be used as well). I do this because pulling back on the slide is more of a gross motor skill for me and it is universal on all my pistols. Some of the slide stops/slide releases on my pistols are in slightly different locations and a couple are a bit of a reach for my thumb.

I have one friend who only uses the slide stops on my pistols and wonders why I don't use them (he thinks its faster to use the slide stop, which for me, it definitely is not). He thinks I'm just worried about wear on them (I'm not).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts