FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

As you may have seen I recently picked up a (what appears to be lightly) used SCAR 16. I have read about the canted sight issues and whatnot, and mine DID look like it leaned a little to the right, but I never know if my eyes are fooling me or what.

Too it out shooting today and while doing a 25 meter zero check, I had to lower the front sight (looked like the PO had raised it because it was not flush with the base). When flush with the base it was shooting dead on elevation. I did, however, have to move my front sight a few clicks to the left, i moved it over one complete hash mark to the left.

These two adjustments had my shots all in the 10 ring at 25 meters. Shooting Federal XM193, FWIW.

I get the elevation, but is it "normal" or "acceptable" to have had to kick the front sight over a bit from the center mark? Just curious.

After that I was nailing bowling pins at 100+ yards and popping clay's at 35-40 yards. I didnt get to shoot too much today or get much distance because I had a few new shooters with me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, I dont think anything else I have owned has ever needed the front sight moved for the initial zero, and only one or two things I have owned have provisions to do so other than tapping it over with a punch.

Having dealt with a canted front sight on an AR15 (which lead to a very poor customer service experience and eventually lead to my dislike of AR15's) I was not too sure what would be considered normal.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Most if not all military rifles have built in adjustments for the iron sights. This is do that each soldier can individually battle sight zero their issued weapons. Not everybody shoots to the same point of aim, hence the capability for zeroing the weapons. Some rifles have adjustable front and rear separately. Some of both adjustments built into the front sight. Some have both adjustments built into the rear sight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also need to adjust the windage on my scar. I need it about an inch to the right at 25 yards. Is that done at the rear sight?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Totally normal. AR's and other rifles have the windage adjustable on the rear sights so it may seem odd to need to adjust it on your front sight. The reason that SCARs have a windage adjustment on the front sight (if I'm not mistaken) is because of the quick change barrel functionality. Since the front sight is mounted on the barrel and handles the elevation and windage for zeroing, you essentially zero the sight to the barrel, not the rifle. That way when you swap barrels out of the gun, they will hold their zero when you put them back on. Not of much use to most people since they don't swap out their barrels, but cool nonetheless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts