FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else is seeing more, or any, ammo at their local stores?

My wife said our local Academy had Winchester 556 in stock when she went by there today. I was a little surprised to hear that, so what is it like at your local stores?

I ask only to get a better idea of when thing may return back to normal. Who knows, maybe prices will start dropping soon.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Last week Wideners sent an email notifying me they had lots of ammo in stock and ready to ship. I ordered quite a bit of 147gr Gold Dots in LE (50rd) boxes, arrived yesterday.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Primer is popping up almost every day on midway for the last week. Just for maybe 10 minutes a day but that's very different than the 6 months prior

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes but what was the price? lol!
It was $119 for 200 rds of the Winchester. I have never really bought ammo from academy because even before covid19 at $6.99 for a box of 20 ($.35 per round), I knew I could do better so $.60 a round is even higher. However, I have not seen an online price cheaper.

Normal no longer exists
it will never be the same as it was before[
Thanks captain obvious. Let me guess, you are going to tell me brand new houses aren't going to be $20,000 again and brand new cars are not going to be $3,000 again?

The point of the thread was to let people post their current local prices and any decent online prices. This was to help aid all members in what others were seeing so that each member could formulate their own opinion about the availability and current price of ammo.

Thank you though Lester for your super helpful response!

Maybe you can come up with a meme and make yourself feel even smarter.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've struggled to get some 5.56 as I have gone through a good deal of what I had in supply so I feel the pain. I don't have the budget to buy ammo by the thousands easily, I used to get a 500 case when I could but well these days it's like gold
Exactly why I started the thread, knowing is half the battle!

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Yeah, availability seems way up...which is good. But prices, while better, are still too spicy, at least for my broke arse wallet.
Selection seems to be improving as well. I've seen lots of IMI for the taking. I like to scoop that up when I can. I'll be really glad when the German MEN comes back around. I love that sh*t.
I think I've gotten more emails from SG Ammo in the last week than in the last 9-10 months combined. That alone is a positive sign.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I’ll share what I witnessed a few weeks ago.

I was in the process of doing an ammo inventory, and I thought I should get better organized. But I needed ammo cans.

So on a Friday night I went to a Bass Pro. I picked up a cart full of ammo cans. The ammo shelves were bare. I asked the sales guy if they had ammo. He put on his sad face and shook his head.
I went back on Saturday night to get another cart full of ammo cans. I asked again if they had gotten in any ammo. Again, the sad face and shook his head no.

I went back on Sunday to get a couple more ammo cans to finish my organizing. I asked again about ammo and he shook his head no. I took my stuff to my car, and I forgot to get a motion light for my safe, so I went back inside.

Now here’s where it gets interesting. I overheard one employee from a different department say to the other employee in the gun department “I heard you got some ammo.”

My ears perked up because I just asked about ammo and this same guy put on the sad face and shook his head.

I said loudly so everybody could hear: “Did you say you got some ammo?”

This sales guy went white. I caught him LYING!

He quietly said “yes, it’s behind the counter.” I said “Where? I don’t see any ammo!” I also asked him when the delivery truck came in and he said “the other day, but I was too busy to put it out”. He also said “sometimes we put it out in the fudge shop.”

I said “Do I look stupid?”

He walked over behind the counter and he leaned in close to me and said “what caliber do you need?” I said loud enough for all the guys around me to hear “I need 380, 9, and some 556.”

I bought 1,000 rounds of all 3 calibers. The men who had been mulling around all got in line behind me.

So here’s my takeaway.

The employees are keeping all of the ammo for themselves and their buddies. Walmart does it too.

You have to ask what they have behind the counter. If they say they don’t have any, then ask to see a manager.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The Cabelas here (same parent company of Bass Pro) gets deliveries on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes the shipments have ammo on them, and some do not. For a while there was a line at the door at opening every Tuesday and Thursday to see what came in. Averaged 10-15 people. Ammo was typically gone by noon when they did get it in. Now there is typically not a line at all, or maybe 1-2 people. Supply is now lasting several days, sometimes even to the point there is still some left when the next shipment comes in. I can see it getting a bit better in this area, and prices coming down off their very elevated levels, but still much higher than 16 months ago.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
You're a little late! The battle started December 14 2012
So, ammo prices and gun prices never varied before 2012? I thought I remember the panic rush of 1989, 1994, 2008, etc.

Just for kicks look at your join date and compare it to mine.

This is extremely funny to me that you have the audacity to tell me I am late.

Maybe you aren't as clever as you think, just saying.

Please run along but before you leave don't forget your signature meme to make yourself feel special.

If I didn't know better I say your are trolling.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Me thinks we need our "Resident Expert" back... They did, after all, appear to be a unifying entity and focal point for the vast majority of our group.

It seems, in their absence, that some of us are being more critical of and taking exception to comments made by fellow members. What looks to have started out as light hearted banter, appears to have deteriorated to a certain level of angst.

I have the utmost respect for my Forum bretheren... Well, with the exception of our "Resident Expert", and the "REIT" (Resident Expert In Training)... granted, some more than others, but still.

Don't we have far more pressing matters towards which we can direct our energy and emotions?

Come on chaps... we are all in this together!!! :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts