FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes.
I have the Larue offering: Larue PSR Atlas Bipod BT46-NC and LT271 QD Mount Combo (PSR Atlas Bipod BT46-NC and LT271 QD Mount Combo | LaRue Tactical ).
You can also purchase Atlas 3" leg extensions and different feet adapters (cleats, spikes).
The Atlas takes up less picatinny rail space than a harris bipod.
The Atlas can be configured for a variety of positions for various hunting and tactical shooting positions - let your imagination roam.
I've inadvertently banged the Atlas on rocks , trees, doors and concrete and it still functioned. I can be clumsy at times.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me clarify, this would be used only for the shooting range. I just this gun to hunt but in a blind not laying prone

·
Registered
660 Posts
let me clarify, this would be used only for the shooting range. I just this gun to hunt but in a blind not laying prone
If all you are using it for is range work - use a shooting bag. ( but to answer your question are they worth it? The answer is an easy yes. I thought just like you did. "how could they be that much better than the Harris I have?" I bought one and the crazy solid strength and quality blew me away. I own 3 now.)

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
377 Posts
If all you are using it for is range work - use a shooting bag. ( but to answer your question are they worth it? The answer is an easy yes. I thought just like you did. "how could they be that much better than the Harris I have?" I bought one and the crazy solid strength and quality blew me away. I own 3 now.)
I agree with this 100%. That siad, I have an Atlas with a QD mount that I initially purchased for my SCAR, BUT IT IS NOW ON MY DTA SRS A1 .308. I love it and since it has a QD, I can easily put it on anything I have

·
Registered
38 Posts
i had the opportunity to handle one that was installed on an ar15...it was brand new and while it looked and felt nice...when i extended the legs i noticed there was a lot of "slop/wiggle" in the legs....i then set it down on the counter and it was the same thing....while they look and feel nice....for the money i would have expected a lot tighter .....i am no longer interested in one...i know everyone raves about them...and i almost bought one online based on the forum love...im glad i got to handle one..the 5 yo $75 harris is far more solid and will continue to be what i use when needing a bipod....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Never felt any wiggle on mine. Ever. Best bipod I've owned.

Reactions: J.Jaxn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Never felt any wiggle on mine. Ever. Best bipod I've owned.
the wiggle I'm referring to was subtle when in fully collapsed...but when extended was multiplied to the point of each leg moving 1/4" each way of neutral for 1/2" total slop.... it was fore/aft as in the direction of the travel of the legs...im assuming something to do with the lockup system....i googled it when i got home to see if it was a freak bad one...but there were posts by owners that had the same issue....perhaps there is a bad batch floating around...or some aren't as critical as others?...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am gonna dissent and say no! I had the newer Atlas PSR model, it was well built for sure, but it was heavier and more cumbersome to use than my harris. I just sold it and plan to get two Harris bipods to replace it. I prefer the Harris BRM-S(notched legs) 6-9" model with a pod lock added.. I do use mine for precision rifle shooting both prone and odd positions like off barricades and structures. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Yes. :?

No spring twang. Bit more adjustable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it depends on intended use. I have an Atlas, love it, but for comps a Harris is preferred. Its just quicker when you're moving from one position to the next. But for an over-watch or static hunting situation I love the Atlas. YMMV

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I agree. The atlas is very versatile and rugged, and has the swivel and cant ability which makes it a good battle instrument. For precision, I prefer the Harris. In the prone position, a light weight gun jumps around with the atlas more, and you have to load it with a sling to get accurate shots off. Weight difference is negligible. I've been using a CAA bipod on my 17 with side mounts. It's less expensive and works really well. I've bought several additional mounts so I can quickly switch the legs to different guns if needed.
I think it depends on intended use. I have an Atlas, love it, but for comps a Harris is preferred. Its just quicker when you're moving from one position to the next. But for an over-watch or static hunting situation I love the Atlas. YMMV

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Is Atlas really worth $150 more than a harris?
Hell no it's not, but neither is the stake you paid fifteen bucks for ! Unfortunately the price of everything is spinning out of control, but if you want THE BEST you will pay for it ! At least it is top quality equipment that should not let you down, so if you desire Atlas or GG&G it's going to cost you three hundred bucks. Although I don't have a Harris, I know it has stood the test of time, so I would think it's completely adequate to steady your shot. But so are the whittled set of sticks that your professional hunter (guide) will throw up in front of you on your 40k dollar trip of a lifetime in Zimbabwe. I think it just depends on how sexy you want to look.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've got Bipods from Versa-Pod, Harris, and Atlas. Harris makes a good bipod and if you add custom accessories to it's great. Versa-Pod makes a great bipod that I have on a custom .223 AICS build. Finally Atlas...I have one on my 1000+ yard 308 competition rifle. Atlas bipods are worth the money if you plan on long range shooting. Though on most of my rifles I have Harris bipods or Caldwell bipods because there is a point at which you have diminishing return. My Savage .22LR works great with a Harris and my Cricket works great with a Walmart Caldwell. My advice would be to save your money and get some good shooting bags. I personally dislike bipods on rifles if I am shooting from a bench rest. I take the bipods off and use shooting bags. If I am laying on my mat and shooting prone I use bipods.

·
Administrator
12,019 Posts
Get a GG&G. Solid, half the price of the one named Atlas and just as good if not better. Its what I have on my A5M XP long range shooter and works like it is supposed to. I really prefer a sandbag but they are hard to carry.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts