FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Hank said:
Not true- you can also drill out the blind pin. :twisted:
Yes, but people have mixed results on that - smiths who have done it before have better luck. I've seen people say they did it - and others who tried for houses to get the pin and not damage the barrel - then they gave up and just hacked it.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Careful....I believe if you remove the (aka chop) the flash hider off the barrel will be under 16 inches. I know that the actual barrel with out the sleeve is under 16. Hence the reason for the blind pin. Stay safe

·
Registered
520 Posts
blkbd said:
Careful....I believe if you remove the (aka chop) the flash hider off the barrel will be under 16 inches. I know that the actual barrel with out the sleeve is under 16. Hence the reason for the blind pin. Stay safe
Depending on where you chop it, you may not have a functional weapon for very long.

And I am no lawyer or anything, but I think it should go without saying that the only reason (at least without many aftermarket barrels out there) to take out the pin or cut your barrel would be to make a legal SBR.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Which brings up the question for those that have cut vs. drilled- special blade required at all? I am not all that familiar with cutoff saws, etc. Just basic wood working here. :p

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unless you have paperwork in hand, I wouldn't chop/drill/anything. The barrel and barrel sleeve for the PS90 are integral to maintaining the minimum barrel length.

If you have your paperwork, a good hacksaw blade or 3 will get you thru!

Zhur

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
I hacked mine off with a blade for cutting metal in my Reciprocating Saw.

I carefully made two blocks of wood to clamp the barrel shroud firmly in place. You need that sucker to be secure in your vice.

At the time I was so frustrated with removing the pin it was quite possible for me to have used my CHAINSAW in angst. Fortunately my reciprocating saw was handy.

It would have been a Pennsylvania Chainsaw Massacre of a PS90.

A couple of notes.
1. When you remove the barrel shroud you can see that it places pressure on the barrel so it is "floating" as it passes through the reciver. Ergo, without the shroud... there is NOTHING to hold the barrel in place properly. THEREFORE, you can't remove the shroud and hope to put any other kind of flash hider on the threads at the end. The barrel would bounce wildly since it is no longer secured.

2. Putting that pin in the end really does make it almost impossible for a schmo like me to remove the shroud easily.

3. I can't see any purpose for removing the shroud other than going SBR. The weapon is totally useless when you take the shrowd off. the barrel system falls appart and can't function with any other kind of solution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Removing Flash Hider to . . .

There is a way to carefully remove the pin to then remove the flash hider so that you can permenently attach an adapter for a can. It's quite the process and takes some skilled gunsmithing. I've seen it done and perhaps will explain when I am finished with mine. I shot one with a can today and it worked out quite well. Very Quiet.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks WALL-E! That was the reason for my original question, I have a SWR Spectre suppressor and would've liked to spin the flash hider off and try it out. But ONLY without breaking any rules.

Can you tell for sure that the barrel length is still 16" after the hider is gone?

Keep us posted! Thanks!

:eek:

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Madhouse said:
Thanks WALL-E! That was the reason for my original question, I have a SWR Spectre suppressor and would've liked to spin the flash hider off and try it out. But ONLY without breaking any rules.

Can you tell for sure that the barrel length is still 16" after the hider is gone?

Keep us posted! Thanks!

:eek:
The weapon system requires the barrel cover in order to operate properly. You remove the shroud and the weapon won't fire right. The barrel will bounce wildly out of control with each shot.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
possumblaster said:
The barrel under the shroud is 16". HOWEVER!!!! the shroud is over the barrel to ensure the length of the ENTIRE RIFLE is over 28". You have to consider more than just barrel length for legality. If you shorten the shroud you will still have a 16" barrel, but you will have a rifle with an OVERALL LENGTH of under 28" which is still illegal without proper paperwork.
I know about min barrel length and min OAL but the barrel under the shroud is well under 16 inches.

Look at the tech sheet in your manual, The barrel length is 16.1 but the rifled length is 14.8
The barrel under the shroud is under the 16 inch mark and is only legal because the shroud or barrel extension is blind pinned to it to bring it up to ATF regs.

If you simply chopped off the FH and threaded the end of the barrel shroud then you have a SBR. This the reason that everyone is told not to remove the barrel till there SBR is approved as you now have a registered receiver with a barrel shorter than 16 inches. This is not a problem with other such weapons as the UZI as the barrel length stays the same when removed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
blkbd said:
possumblaster said:
The barrel under the shroud is 16". HOWEVER!!!! the shroud is over the barrel to ensure the length of the ENTIRE RIFLE is over 28". You have to consider more than just barrel length for legality. If you shorten the shroud you will still have a 16" barrel, but you will have a rifle with an OVERALL LENGTH of under 28" which is still illegal without proper paperwork.
I know about min barrel length and min OAL but the barrel under the shroud is well under 16 inches.

Look at the tech sheet in your manual, The barrel length is 16.1 but the rifled length is 14.8
The barrel under the shroud is under the 16 inch mark and is only legal because the shroud or barrel extension is blind pinned to it to bring it up to ATF regs.

If you simply chopped off the FH and threaded the end of the barrel shroud then you have a SBR. This the reason that everyone is told not to remove the barrel till there SBR is approved as you now have a registered receiver with a barrel shorter than 16 inches. This is not a problem with other such weapons as the UZI as the barrel length stays the same when removed.
I stand corrected. One way or the other I would definitely not mess with the barrel in any way until paperwork comes back from the ATF.

·
Administrator
12,118 Posts
It is possible to remove the shroud with ease - if the firearm has not been fired. Once fired though, it becomes extrememly hard to do as I have heard (read) in many a forum. I have a MS word document with nice pictures that shows how to do it. It was from AR15dotCom (I think) but I do not know the author to give credit to him. I believe his intent was to dissiminate this document to whomever needed it so I will post it below.

As far as the barrel length is concerned, if you remove the shroud from the PS90, you now have a short barrel rifle because the barrel comes in at less than the minimum of 16 inches and is married to the receiver. Even if you disassemble the rifle immediately, you violated the law.

If you do not have an approved Form 1 from the ATF and you have a disassembled PS90 and the short barrel and the flash hider, you MAY BE in violation of the law even if you immediately remove the barrel from the receiver because you have what is called 'constructive intent' - meaning you have all the parts necessary to build a short barrel rifle on hand and it can be 'redily restored' to a functional firearm. If all you have is the parts of the PS90 and the shroud has been cut, even if you try to reassemble it, it is not a functional firearm. You need the shroud for the PS90 or a flash hider for the short barrel to make this a functional firearm. Without the shroud of flash hider, you have a bunch of parts that MAY BE regarded as a functional firearm, even though I would never attemp to fire the PS90 or the PS90SBR without the shroud or flash hider.

If you have a disassembled PS90 with a short barrel nearby, you have 'constructive intent' to make it into a SBR. If the receiver or barrel is kept at some other location (not nearby ie, you have to drive over an hour away to get the parts then return the parts to your location that all the other parts are at), then all you have is a bunch of parts that means nothing.

If you have a FUNCTIONAL (put together PS90) and buy a replacement barrel that is shorter than 16 inches, you have a PS90 and a barrel, nothing else. The barrel is not the SBR, the registered receiver is.

Bottom line: You can have in your posession a barrel less than 16 inches along with your assembled PS90 and it means nothing because you also have to have the knowledge, tools, and ability to construct the Short Barrel Rifle to have 'constructive intent', and you do need specialized tools to remove the barrel from the PS90 and re-assemble it with the short barrel that you also posess. If everything is disassembled and you have all the parts to build the SBR, you are in violation of the law. Remember though, you have to have the flash hider to tune the barrel to the receiver to have a functional firearm. So if you have no flash hider, you are not if violation of the law (as far as I can tell by reading all the pertinent information available) because the flash hider is not redily available, ie., you have to order it and wait the necessary two or three days for it to arrive. Once you have the flash hider though, you have "constructive intent".

It is very difficult to go into every detail of what 'constructive intent' and 'redily restorable' means. Be on the safe side and wait for the Form 1 before you disassemble the firearm. However if you buy a cut off barrel from gunbroker or even a regular barrel, you can send it out to be cut, crowned, and threaded and you are OK without the Form 1 because you do not have posession of the parts to make a SBR. Once the parts are returned to you though, you are in a very gray area and may be prosecuted if you are caught.

I did not have a approved Form 1 from the ATF when I bought a cut off barrel from gunbroker. I sent out my barrel to have it cut, crowned, and threaded. When the barrel was returned to me, I kept the barrel and flash hider at another location that was not redibly accessable to me so I did not worry about it. Only after I received the approved Form I did I assemble the upper receiver that I made into the SBR, even though I had to still make the tools to assemble the firearm.

Very gray area. Make sure that you protect yourself from possible prosecution. Be safe and get the approved Form 1 first and you can avoid all the legaleese that may bite you in the arse.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
So if you have a FUNCTIONAL 16" barrel (put together) PS90 can you also have a short barrel and FN flash hider (uninstalled)? I have thought about getting one now to keep on hand in case I ever want to go through the proper legal avenues to get my SBR. That way if something happens and the price jumps or they become hard to find I will have one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts