FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this video and I'm curious as to if the Scar-17 has under gone extreme testing as this. I'm sorry if I've listed this in a wrong site but was wanting to know all about the Scars durability if things like this for some reason were to happen to this platform. While I don't personally have a 17 just yet I'm in the process of hunting one down at a decent price. So should I put on my nomex suit just yet. Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
The SCAR is absolutely built for battle and has been one of the most tested platforms in history. It is a new weapon design so of course it has had its growing pains but everything I have read regarding its reliability and functionality in battle have been extremely positive. I just purchased my first SCAR while on deployment and can't wait to shoot it when I get home so I can't speak from experience yet but the SCAR will take everything you throw at it. Unless you are humping this thing around the mountains of Afghanistan then you will probably hand this gun down to your kids before it ever fails you. I read a whole bunch of users' inputs from this forum before making my decision so I am sure someone with more knowledge and better sources will jump in too.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think there is also a kind of tradeoff we have to realize in this business. You could probably build a rifle that could survive any absurd torture test. But it would probably weigh 70lbs.

You always think about saving weight versus the likely risk from doing so. Why is the lower not made of steel? B/c the incredible weight that would involve is not justified by a sufficient reduction in risk of operational failure.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SCAR is absolutely built for battle and has been one of the most tested platforms in history. It is a new weapon design so of course it has had its growing pains but everything I have read regarding its reliability and functionality in battle have been extremely positive. I just purchased my first SCAR while on deployment and can't wait to shoot it when I get home so I can't speak from experience yet but the SCAR will take everything you throw at it. Unless you are humping this thing around the mountains of Afghanistan then you will probably hand this gun down to your kids before it ever fails you. I read a whole bunch of users' inputs from this forum before making my decision so I am sure someone with more knowledge and better sources will jump in too.
Thanks for the insight and Thank you for your service. Let us all know if you run across any FN's while on deployment and stay safe brother.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His drop test is on to grass, not concrete. That is worth noting in light of the Peruvian incident.

Some of these tests strike me as silly. And the SCAR is my SHTF gun.
Yes it is somewhat amusing though when he blows the stock off and the action is open and he closes it and fires it.

I think there is also a kind of tradeoff we have to realize in this business. You could probably build a rifle that could survive any absurd torture test. But it would probably weigh 70lbs.

You always think about saving weight versus the likely risk from doing so. Why is the lower not made of steel? B/c the incredible weight that would involve is not justified by a sufficient reduction in risk of operational failure.
That's one thing that draws me to the 17 is the lighter weight. I LIKE IT!!!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR)..........................................................................................................................................Those guys just play Call of duty they never see combat.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR)..........................................................................................................................................Those guys just play Call of duty they never see combat.
LOL!!! OK! OK! I get it especially after looking thru the pics in the earlier link. Thanks folks for the insight.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have another question, a buddy of mine got a new 17 when they first came out and he claims his lower is some type of metal. I know the newer 17's have a polymer lower but is he right about his being metal and if so why the change to polymer. Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
No scars came from the factory with anything but the polymer lower. There are aftermarket aluminum lowers available though.

Sent from my iPhone since my tin-foil hat prevents psychokinesis.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
If I had to go into some sh!thole and could choose my weapon it would be a 17. All week long and twice on Sunday. Its dependability and accuracy are uncanny.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I too would take a 17 into battle without blinking an eye. Id take my personal 17s at that!
I look at it like this, the scar went through some seriously grueling s#&t in the testing phases, or else it would not have come out on top compared to its competitors. If anybody is going to torture the rifle day in and day out its our nations finest forces. You can rest assured it was thoroughly tested in every aspect and continues to be put through hell and come out on top.

With its price tag you are not gonna find the you tube videos of guys torture testing them themselves as opposed to a 500$ ar15 or ak47, And unlike some companies who feel the need to do those videos to prove their product is qualuty, FN knows the scar speaks for itself and doesn't need to prove it to anyone by posting a video about it imho.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No scars came from the factory with anything but the polymer lower. There are aftermarket aluminum lowers available though.

Sent from my iPhone since my tin-foil hat prevents psychokinesis.
OK I'll have to tell my buddy as he thinks his 17 has a metal lower because it's an early rifle
If I had to go into some sh!thole and could choose my weapon it would be a 17. All week long and twice on Sunday. Its dependability and accuracy are uncanny.
Thanks that's good to know.

I too would take a 17 into battle without blinking an eye. Id take my personal 17s at that!
I look at it like this, the scar went through some seriously grueling s#&t in the testing phases, or else it would not have come out on top compared to its competitors. If anybody is going to torture the rifle day in and day out its our nations finest forces. You can rest assured it was thoroughly tested in every aspect and continues to be put through hell and come out on top.

With its price tag you are not gonna find the you tube videos of guys torture testing them themselves as opposed to a 500$ ar15 or ak47, And unlike some companies who feel the need to do those videos to prove their product is qualuty, FN knows the scar speaks for itself and doesn't need to prove it to anyone by posting a video about it imho.
Thanks I'm sure your right.

I am actually more concerned whether I am built for battle than whether my 17s is.
LOL!!! You and me both brother.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Almost all gun designs since the 1970s are made with polymer parts: SA80, QBZ-03, Tavor, F2000. Hell, even the AR-15 and that was in the 60s. You will not see much hand to hand combat in modern warfare, those guns were not designed to bash someone's head off, and should be treated as such.

Some guns that were used commonly to bash heads are Mosin Nagant, Masuer 98k, Ppsh 41, Type 38/99. They did hold together most of the time, but have you wondered why so many Mosin Nagants in the market have bent barrel or cracked wood?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts