FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my SCAR17 fde for over a month now and I've been reading everywhere I can about what people are loading for it. I am relatively new to reloading and while I'm confident in myself, I'm just curious if the scar is any more susceptible to over pressure damage than say an AR10? I've done some load development that started to show pressure signs in my AR10 but she's held together just fine. Being new I am obviously cautious but still worry in the back of my mind that I'll accidentally do something wrong and blow up my gun. In fact, because of this (unwarranted) fear, I've never shot my scar. Brought it home, modified it to my liking, put it in the safe, and it's never been touched. My LWRC gets all the attention. How has the scar platform held up in torture tests compared to the AR platform?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I guess I don't understand your question(s). If you are reloading rounds that are over pressured then I would imagine it will cause problems. If they are within spec, there is no problem besides voiding your warranty. The 17s has been rugged enough to serve the finest soldiers on the planet so I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
but still worry in the back of my mind that I'll accidentally do something wrong and blow up my gun.
Really this has nothing to do with how robust the rifle is. Any firearm currently in production will blow up if you mess up bad enough with your reloads. This is why manufacturers don't warranty them against home rolled rounds. If youre asking if the firearm is built well then the answer is a resounding yes. That being said as long as you're careful and meticulous you will be fine. Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Maybe i wasn't clear, let me reword. In the Ar10 for load development i work from low end and headed up (from say 44gr to 44.5, 45gr, etc). I know the brass/primers are going to show pressure signs well before any damage is done to the gun. I know the AR platform can take a pretty good beating. Its thick, heavy, and seems sturdier than the scar. Just wondering if the scar will let me work up to these loads that show I'm too hot and need too back down like the AR or if i need to be "more careful" so to speak with load development. An example: I loaded some nice power factor loads for the AR10 this winter where it gets 20° below zero in Ohio. This spring i shoot same loads at 70° and the primers are flat as can be, but the AR is fine. Will the scar stand up to same type of pressure as the AR? I didn't know hand loads voided warranty on scar, so that's useful info, and pretty obvious and understandable why. I think i might start off shooting factory loads until I'm more familiar with the platform, that would probably help. Is military surplus fine or should i stick to the higher end brands?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
°meant militarily surplus, not factory surplus. Excuse me.
If you will look, at the bottom of your posts there is an edit post link, guess what it's there for? :biggrin:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm not sure where people keep getting the impression that a SCAR is a delicate animal that needs special care. I say this lovingly and in all lower-case, but shoot the damn thing. Just because you dropped nearly 3K on a rifle and maybe another 3K on optics doesn't mean the pansy patrol needs to be brought out. I feed my SCAR a steady diet of crap. Crap made in the 60's all the way up through crap made in 2012/2013. Hell today I'm firing MEN-68 and -78, HXP-80, a **** ton of south-African ball, some random Aussie MF-89 junk, I *might* even run 2 mags of Wolf. My SCAR just works. Period. So much so that I basically stopped shooting anything else. If you love your AR-10, don't shoot the SCAR - odds are in 6 months your AR-10 will have a price tag on it being hauled through a gun show.

p.s. - Aussie Ball is the hottest stuff I have run through the SCAR. 300 rounds, nice dimpled primers, not a sign of wear.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
The weapon will take it, but a better question is why would you run up to max pressure in the first place?

I've noticed over the years that higher velocities don't go hand in hand with accuracy. I would suggest you pay closer attention to group size as opposed to trying to, or exceeding safe pressures in any weapon platform.

-SS

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have actually found (on many pistols) better accuracy is had at the lower end of the range rather than the upper. I think there is a logic there which may not apply to rifles, but I suspect it also might...

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you gotta load just do what is normal there is really no need to push the boundaries. People are getting excellent results with all kinds of ammo. They seem to like 168 gr most so work up a load that is modeled after a factory load like fgmm ir something and shoot that beast. Or buy some factory ammo and go to town. It is REALLY a SHAME that you have not shot it. I took mine out the first day. I use a lot of ppu 145 gr cuz I can get it for like 12 a box..not shooting for groups yet. I just ran 40 rounds of colt 168 gr zinc plate steel case and it worked great.

You will love your rifle, if you are worried about overdoing it, dont push it. I do not thinm you will find someone who has done the same thing and pushed it to the very edge. No need. The scar is stout and will taie a beating but there is really no reason to overdo it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The locking lugs and chamber are as strong in the SCAR as any AR. It will handle the pressure. I don't think you should load above spec tho, you're playing with fire. But whatever floats your goat!

WhateverFloatsYourGoatNoWOrds_zps6ac8787e.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have actually found (on many pistols) better accuracy is had at the lower end of the range rather than the upper. I think there is a logic there which may not apply to rifles, but I suspect it also might...
I can second this. I worked up some loads with 4064 under a 180 gr SMK. I started at 40 grains and ended at 42. No signs of eccessive pressure even with the 42 grains of powder, but I got the best group with 40.5 grains. There is no reason at all to push the pressure envelope.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Several scratching my head points (in the reloading environment) from the OP.
Every gun manufacturer has such a no-reloads disclaimer, their lawyers simply do not know what you handload. Even the .454 Casull, a reloader’s gun in mind, carries such a clause.
And I can expect FN subjected the 17 development/testing to the same (if not more) rigors a military agency would, several times more than a civilian. If my 17 can’t take what I fed my HK91 it replaced, I made a big mistake.

As alluded, you shoot for groups. Development is based on std SAAMI tables for the 7.62x51 NATO, with 1/12" Twist and 16.25" Barrel given. Load low/high-pressure progression, low/high ambient temp reliability, bullet-wt/energy performance – is bolt-action territory, not in a battalion autoloader.
My reloads are based off std/SAAMI 147gr-FMJBT, from Win white box 7.62 NATO casings. I have some 165gr Nosler Partition I rolled when I took my HK91 hunting, any heavier you’ll need bolt-action (to be accurate).

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
reloads are based off std/SAAMI 147gr-FMJBT, from Win white box 7.62 NATO casings. I have some 165gr Nosler Partition I rolled when I took my HK91 hunting, any heavier you’ll need bolt-action (to be accurate).[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]
You are good with the 17s up to 175gr easy with excellent accuracy, there's a thread where a member has loaded up to 180gr Bergers and he's had good results as well. Don't sweat your purchase either, if your HK ate it so will the 17s.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting, reading through that link… Net result the 17 (barrel spec) is optimized for <168gr, no surprise there. Sure his bench testing shows you can shoot/hit-with 185gr (albeit a match/non-game rnd), but shoot what. 308-Win x 150gr for boar, 165gr has you covered up to deer.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Maybe i wasn't clear, let me reword. In the Ar10 for load development i work from low end and head up. I know the brass/primers are going to show pressure signs well before any damage is done to the gun. I know the platform can take a pretty good beating. Its thick, heavy, and seems sturdier than the scar. Just wondering if the scar will let me work up to these loads that show I'm too hot and need too back down like the AR or if i need to be "more careful" so to speak with load development.
Let's clarify what you mean by "head up" and "these loads that show I'm too hot".

Are you exceeding the recommended MAX loads for 7.62x51? Are your "hot" loads built for bolt rifles? If so, yeah, you probably should treat your SCAR differently.

If you're staying within the recommended range for 7.62, the SCAR will take anything any other semi-auto rifle will. If you're after the MAX KICKASS COMPRESSED CHARGE BRASS-BUSTING PRIMER-FLATTENING 3000 FPS 2-MILE ACCURATE .308 loads, stick with a well-reputed bolt gun. And insure your fingers and face. ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
168-175gr FGM rounds seem to be the hot spot. I was a little off on my previous post. Here's the thread for you.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/54803-berger-185gr-juggernauts-30418-go.html
My 168gr sierra/hornady reloads will give me MOA (bad shooter) and sub-MOA(good shooter) accuarcy. 168gr bthp bullets will be worlds more accurate than std 147-150gr boat tail rounds. 168gr is the peak of accuracy for the rifle . You can get away with shooting 175gr but with the 1:12 twist they don't stabilize as well. Anything above 175gr I have not tried since I don't want to baffe strike my can

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Work up a load that is accurate. Keep a count of the number of times you use each brass. Ream and trim. Discard all warn brass. If you need more velocity, switch calibers (cartridges).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts