FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on getting a 16" AR10 by Armalite or DPMS, then I found the SCAR heavy..... A few quick questions: How accurate is the SCAR? Does the SCAR use AR10 mags?? I like the standard or the CQC (is it civilian legal with that barrel?)
thanks for the help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It's not out yet (the L version is out in limited quantities) and there is no time table for when it will be available for civilians. It uses proprietary magazines. Civilian legal = 16" or greater barrel, so the standard would not require special short barrel registration.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
What B52U said :?

It should be pretty accurate, at least for barrel length.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
B52U said:
It's not out yet (the L version is out in limited quantities) and there is no time table for when it will be available for civilians. It uses proprietary magazines. Civilian legal = 16" or greater barrel, so the standard would not require special short barrel registration.
Sorry for my ingorance, what are "proprietary magazines"

When are the standards supposed to be released? After the first of the year they may never get released.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
detroit25 said:
B52U said:
Sorry for my ingorance, what are "proprietary magazines"

When are the standards supposed to be released? After the first of the year they may never get released.
Proprietary means that they are made for that specific weapon. The SCAR H was originally slated to be released 1st quarter '09, but that will probably not happen. It may never be released to the public (although I doubt that very much).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I might pick up the AR10 this weekend and then if the SCAR comes out it will have a friend :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
detroit25 said:
Thanks for the info guys! I might pick up the AR10 this weekend and then if the SCAR comes out it will have a friend :D
have you looked into FAL's? Same basic principle as the SCAR H, but in a real battle-proven design.

·
Registered
67 Posts
MrNuke7571 said:
have you looked into FAL's? Same basic principle as the SCAR H, but in a real battle-proven design.
Battle-proven like a Sherman vs Abrams or Mustang vs Raptor... :?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I hope they get something figured out. I'd love to go SBR on one of the things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here's another suggestion while awaiting availability of the SCAR Heavy to satisfy your .308 lust: the PTR-91. It's an HK-91 clone, built in America on HK machinery, but with a stronger barrel than the originals. It uses HK-91 magazines, which have been very abundant and incredibly cheap (like $5 each or so - but who knows in today's market). It uses the HK roller-locked delay blowback system. It's battle proven though not as popular as the FN-FAL. But I can tell you it's accurate, surprisingly soft-recoiling, and very fast-shooting. I've seen some new ones recently for $1299, which is 40%-60% higher than six months ago. Supply and demand - ya gotta love it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
sfmittels said:
Here's another suggestion while awaiting availability of the SCAR Heavy to satisfy your .308 lust: the PTR-91. It's an HK-91 clone, built in America on HK machinery, but with a stronger barrel than the originals. It uses HK-91 magazines, which have been very abundant and incredibly cheap (like $5 each or so - but who knows in today's market). It uses the HK roller-locked delay blowback system. It's battle proven though not as popular as the FN-FAL. But I can tell you it's accurate, surprisingly soft-recoiling, and very fast-shooting. I've seen some new ones recently for $1299, which is 40%-60% higher than six months ago. Supply and demand - ya gotta love it.
Yes, they are accurate, but if you intend on reloading forget about it. The PTR absolutely destroys the shells on ejection. I have seen the shells crushed and bent at 45 degrees absolutely not able to reload.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My apologies for the necro-post, but my father has an HK91 and has been reloading ammunition for it since... well... whenever he got it, in the early 1980s. Fed it ammunition rejected by the .30-caliber MGs on the range and continues to feed it everything and anything. Never had a single problem with it.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Jagdraben said:
My apologies for the necro-post, but my father has an HK91 and has been reloading ammunition for it since... well... whenever he got it, in the early 1980s. Fed it ammunition rejected by the .30-caliber MGs on the range and continues to feed it everything and anything. Never had a single problem with it.
I would think that the flutes in the 91's chamber play havoc with the brass in trying to reload it...

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
SgtStrykerUSMC43 said:
Jagdraben said:
I would think that the flutes in the 91's chamber play havoc with the brass in trying to reload it...

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH
Ugh those darn HK fluted chambers... I end up finding that at the range, and someday will sell it for scrap. So far I have only 4 empty shells. :-D

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
SgtStrykerUSMC43 said:
Jagdraben said:

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH
I had HK 94 and SP89 - never had any issues with the brass. The flutes are micro-small.

-TH

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Yah, they are tiny on the little guns, but on the 91 and the 21 I had they were deep, that's why I asked. :D

Hey TH, you see a guy running around here impersonating Santa? :evil:

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
SgtStrykerUSMC43 said:
Hey TH, you see a guy running around here impersonating Santa? :evil:

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH
YA, and his little potty mouth too...

:p

·
Registered
80 Posts
'Nother necro, just because this one has been nagging at me....

TDB7117 said:
Battle-proven like a Sherman vs Abrams or Mustang vs Raptor... :?
That would be true if Abrams had 75- or 76mm main guns. Or if the Mustang were jet-powered and the Raptor didn't have radar.

The best way to think of it is that the FAL, HK91, and M1A are B-52 Stratofortresses. The SCAR-H is more like a B-1B Lancer or B-2 Spirit.

And, of course, the same could be said of the 1911 versus the Glock/USP/M&P/P226.

ANYWAY. Point being, bullets kill people. Both the SCAR-H and the old NATO battle rifles are 7.62mm NATO weapons. They will all reliably and accurately throw those large-ish .30-cal slugs down range, and that's what matters.

Now, the SCAR-H may be more accurate than those old war horses. (And I do mean war horses, racing horses like NM M1As and PSG-1s don't count.) But it won't be any more accurate than any of the other current production, recently designed battle rifles, like the KAC SR-25 carbine and the LWRCi REPR.

What sets the SCAR-H apart from its competitors is not any one feature, but the combination of features. It is a very light 7.62mm NATO battle rifle (compared to any other battle rifle, except maybe the KAC), designed to be accurate (compared to the old war horses), with a folding (compare to the AR-10-based BRs), adjustable (compare to the HK91, FAL, and M1A) stock, and designed around modern TTP (compare to practically every other BR except the REPR). And based off of dealer cost, it should sit right in the middle of the price scale, with the high-end FALs and M1As, above the low-end AR-10s and the PTR-91s, but below the REPR and well, well below the KAC SR-25s.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a POF-USA that is 14.5 bbl piston driven and it has been flawless. With BH 168gr it will shoot 1/4min, I have the targets to prove it. Great gun to hold you over until SCAR-H 17s comes out. I have Fals as well, I just like the pof because it is a more modern system easy to put optics on, the FAL stock para or straight style doesnt ride high enough for optics, you have to do the stupid ar carry handle with scope on top hold. And all the gizmos you can get for a modern ar platform (stocks grips etc) is great. But if your looking to keep just irons nothing will beat the FAL they will pound it out. I am not a fan of the HK 91 system, Im a huge HK collector but they tear up brass unless you have the rubber thing that slips over ejection port (super rare), and they kick like a mule. That reminds me the pof has a fantastic muzzle break aswell I can easily do double taps with my 14.5 it really has no climb and recoils just a hair more than a 5.56 with birdcage. IMHO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts