FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the SCAR-H magazine propriety?
I haven't found this information in the catologs nor had the chance to ask someone from FN. I'm just curious because it's things like that that will sway someones decision in the purchase of a new firearm. Since we can't be fortunate enough to have something as fantastic as a STANAG magazine like the SCAR-L I wonder if they will be interchangeable with any pre existing guns feed device design. The more guns you own the more you end up spending on mags. It gets quite ridiculous, especially for battle rifles chambered in .308. In that department you already have M1A, FAL, DPMS which is interchangeable with the SR25, ArmaLite AR-10 from the 50's that Don't fit the same as the '95 and later designs and the new HK 417's that are going to use a propriety magazine even though there are photos of the early slant magwell versions that clearly are using G3 mags. The list goes on and on and we keep having to buy more and more of them. Even though it may not be the "best" design ever (with HK high reliability mags they're over 99% awesome) I'm just grateful for the NATO STANAG, it's saved us more money over the years than we'll ever know... now just to get that for .308.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would be nice if the SCAR-H took FAL magazines but I wonder if it does.

In the May, 2006, issue (#40) of Special Weapons for Military & Police there is an article by Charlie Cutshaw on the SCAR. The author apparently had the opportunity to shoot the SCAR-L extensively and to examine and fire a few rounds through the SCAR-H.

In this article the author states that "The SCAR-H magazine externally appears to be modified FAL magazine, but is totally different and will not function in a FAL, nor will FAL magazines function in a SCAR-H"

So I wonder if Charlie Cutshaw was mistaken or if FN has changed the design or if in fact they are different magazines.

Perhaps someone who got to shoot the SCAR-H at Shot can clarify?

Maybe one of us should try to submit this question in the next Q&A post for a definitive answer.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've wanted to ask for awhile but the 10 question slots are always full so I just decided to ask here hoping that someone knew the answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From everything Ive read on the SCAR H they will use proprietary mags. I dont have any actual sorces at the moment but Ill look around.

edit:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm
Near the bottom of the article it states..
"Mk.17 SCAR-H will use proprietary 20-round magazines in 7.62x51 NATO chambering" With a special Thanks to Charlie Cutshaw as well here.

But as we see from FNH USA

http://www.fnhusa.com/press/releases_consumer/detail.asp?id=7

The only mention of any kind of magazine is "an enhanced 5.56mm magazine" and nothing mentioned on the 7.62 magazine. That is also from March '06.

And if we look at the FNH military catalog pdf...
http://www.fnhusa1.com/PDF/MIL_Catalog_web.pdf

It doesnt state at all which kind of magazine the SCAR H uses, but it does kind of look like a FAL mag.

Based on all of this I dont think the SCAR H will use FAL mags, but one can hope.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I had seen the catalog with the SCAR in it but it unfortunately did not state the magazine information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mags

Even if proprietary I'm sure they won't be anymore than armalite or DPMS charges for there mags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts