FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any way the FNX tactical can be converted to DAO?

I can only carry DAO in my department and would like to see how I like it in DAO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to know this answer also.

Decocking puts it in DAO, but that might not be your department's desire.

Also I like your screen name.....Polak here also. And as told to me by some of my ancestry who lived in Polish neighborhoods in northern USA Polak is a derogatory term.:wink:

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
As far as I know, no. That's kind of why they made the FNS (lighter trigger pull than the FNX would be in DAO)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith or armorer but... it looks to me like if you were to somehow remove or disable the left one of the two paddles that hold the hammer back, the one for the fully cocked position, it should allow the hammer to follow the slide forward and rest on the "half cock" position that the decocker drops it on, rendering the gun DAO.

Replacing it with a sleeve of the same width on the pin it's on would probably do the trick while keeping the other one in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not a gunsmith or armorer but... it looks to me like if you were to somehow remove or disable the left one of the two paddles that hold the hammer back, the one for the fully cocked position, it should allow the hammer to follow the slide forward and rest on the "half cock" position that the decocker drops it on, rendering the gun DAO.

Replacing it with a sleeve of the same width on the pin it's on would probably do the trick while keeping the other one in place.
No factory pieces I can put in to make it DAO?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The sear on the FNX is unique in that it is a split two piece part. Looking down at the frame from the rear with the slide removed, the right side is the half cock and engages the half-cock/decock position of the hammer. The left side engages the SA notch on the hammer. To make the pistol DAO, you would have to remove some material from the bottom edge of the left side of the sear, or remove the single action notch from the hammer, or maybe both. Any of this would require complete disassembly and reassembly (after altering of the appropriate parts) of the drop in module that FN calls the Fire Control Group, which is a tedious operation to say the least. FN does not have a DAO hammer without an SA notch. They do not even sell any hammers on their own. They are part of the completely assembled drop-in FCG.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you were going to attempt this, or find a gunsmith willing to do it, I would suggest ordering a fire control module from Midwest Gunworks to work on, so you have a spare in the event in doesn't work out.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just buy a new FNS with night sights.

In the end, it will work out better than monkey-ing around with the FNX.

Best to leave your carry firearm's fire control group unaltered from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The loooong first trigger pull would be so long on an FNX that I think it would defeat your purpose. Luckily my PD allows you to carry what you can qualify with. We have guys carrying 1911's. I've been carrying a G35 and just purchased an FNX45 to carry on duty (once I can find a holster) because I prefer the longer trigger pull for the first shot. It's how I was trained back in the very early 90's when we transitioned from the revolver to autos. This gun has the same pull as my 645 did, about the same weight, but has 15 rds. I also think that your firearms instructor/range master probably wouldn't allow you to carry a modified weapon. There is a lot of liability involved.

Just my 2CW, take it for what it's worth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts