FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to run 30 and 20 rd pmags. I don't want to dremmel the mags. Will taking out the dust ring make them work?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The dust skirt isn't the problem--it's the ridges on the PMAG that make it too thick to fit into the relatively deep magazine well on the FS2000.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've seen some of the original models released can use them, you just have to remove the dust ring. It won't work with newer models.

Saw it on a guys FS2000 or at HKPro.com

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yah, I've got one of the newer ones. The mag well slopes inward from 1 1/16" to 15/16" about 3/4" in. I wonder if those Lancer L5 mags would work, though--their 1.07" wide support rib seems to be lower down the mag than the support ribs on the PMAGs.

Anyone try a Lancer L5 mag yet?

·
Registered
48 Posts
what about milling the plastic out of the mag well? yeah, it voids a warrenty, but then, so does fireing handloads 8) :twisted:

Edit: I am also interested in this as I have a bunch of ViewMags that need a home after I leave iraq. And yes, I am willing to mill out the mag well, IF it would work SAFELY.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ehryk said:
what about milling the plastic out of the mag well?
[SNIP]
And yes, I am willing to mill out the mag well, IF it would work SAFELY.
Grinding on a $2000 rifle to use a $15 magazine is a bad plan. -Learn from the 1911 guys. If you have to make a permanent modification to make two components work together, you grind on the cheaper part.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I definately understand what you are saying here, work on the cheaper part for the *just in case* factor.

My thinking though is that since in the earlier models, there was only a dust skirt in the mag well that was easy to remove, the extra material there may not be needed and if it is milled out properly with all rounded corners, there will be no weak spot. Also, you wouldnt have to replace the whole weapon if things didnt work out, just the stock... assuming of course you can get a replacement lol

·
Registered
363 Posts
ehryk said:
I definately understand what you are saying here, work on the cheaper part for the *just in case* factor.

My thinking though is that since in the earlier models, there was only a dust skirt in the mag well that was easy to remove, the extra material there may not be needed and if it is milled out properly with all rounded corners, there will be no weak spot. Also, you wouldnt have to replace the whole weapon if things didnt work out, just the stock... assuming of course you can get a replacement lol

:grin:

I WOULDN'T !!!

Take the advice given above for the reason given above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

:grin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Com'on where is the sense of adventure. I remember grinding away at an SL8 receiver, the only serialized part, to make a g36.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts