FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this from Gragagun about 3 weeks ago and when I got ready to clean it before firing it , I noticed what I thought was wear on the barrel and other parts. This seems like a lot for a new pistol. What was your like new?
The seller assured me it was new.
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,865 Posts
Both of my barrels had the same marks...new and fresh out of the case. The rest I don't recall...it's been a couple years.

Congrats on the Tactical. I know the marks may be a little disconcerting, but I have little doubt that the gun is new. Clean it, lube it and enjoy the "pew pew".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Over time those little marks will smooth out into "normal" wear marks. Once the parts wear to each other. It looks bad because it's new! Shoot it a thousand times and it will look like the marks belong there! ha

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
FN puts at least a mag through it to test it. Mine had those marks, but not quite so bad. I've seen others that have looked worse than yours, especially the barrel chatter marks.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I had some of that on my FNX 40 SS. There were zero witness marks on the top or side of the chamber block. However, after racking it many times in the week before I actually got to shoot the pistol, learning to operate it, it did start to develop the witness marks on the top of the chamber block visible at the ejection port. That told me that my used pistol had probably never been fired outside the factory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you texasez for starting this thread. I have been searching for days to see if this is how other FDE T's look.

Mine also had similar wear in similar areas. The wear that concerned me most was the wear on the barrel where the rounds feed. I contacted the shop I ordered the gun from and they informed me that this is all normal on the FDE Tactical. I am curious as to if this is normal for all tactical 45 and just more evident on the FDE, or what the deal is. Either way I also sent the below pics to FNH asking if this is normal test fire wear as it seems to me to be indicative of use beyond test firing. I have a non Tactical FDE as well that does not have any where near as much visible wear as the Tactical, that being said the non-T has a black slide and FDE body whereas the Tactical slide and body are both FDE......
Cable Technology Electronic device Wire Electronics accessory
Door handle

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: Larry Grogan's photos, above.

The marks on front inside of the slide look like the normal abrasion/wear you'd see when the barrel and slide unlock and then lock up again with each shot.

The marks on the underside of the rear of the slide are less typical -- those seems to be "chatter marks" of some kind, and not the type of marks you'd typically see when the slide is moving to the rear.

You would expect to see wear in that location from the slide dragging across the top round in the magazine as it moves to the rear (ejecting the fired casing) and as it pushes the next round forward, the underside dragging across the "next" round down... (The top round in the mag, by design, rises up above the top of the mag -- if it didn't, it couldn't be caught by the top of the front of the breech as it moves forward.)

The rough (chatter-like?) marks on both the raised area and the lower areas aren't typical, in my experience -- and I don't see it on either of the FNS-40s I own, or on any of my other guns.

I'd be interested in hearing how FNH customer service explains those marks.

(On the other hand, if the gun is shooting fine, it probably doesn't matter that much.)

Re: texasez's photos:

The photos that started this discussion, to me, look like the typical wear you'll see with a well-functioning gun. The marks on the barrel are probably from rubbing against the recoil spring assembly as the barrel moves to the rear with the slide, and drops a bit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Below I have added a red arrow to the area that originally concerned me the most. I expected the barrel to be all black but it appears that the area where the rounds enter the barrel has been refinished or modified in some way or perhaps worn from being SHOT A LOT as the black finish is missing. I am reposting bacause I am wondering if I am overly concerned about this or if maybe previous views did not notice this. This does not appear normal to me (at least not for a new weapon) and I would think that it would take a lot of firing to do this and or some type of modification. Did everyone else's 'new' tactical barrel look this well used? I emailed FNH but still have yet to hear back......
Wire Technology Cable Electronic device Electronics accessory

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
They polish the feed ramp (and chamber) to aid in feeding. All of my centerfire pistols have polished feed ramps. I much prefer it (and it makes it easier to clean)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, that is a polished feed ramp. The front end is still bright. The back end looks like it has some powder residue. All normal on a new barrel. If you look into the chamber, you'll likely see it's also been polished.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have those same marks, what concerns me is the inside of my barrels, it looks like rust. the manual says, its some sort of protector for the barrel, so far, i have been cleaning them with hoppe's #9 gun bore cleaner. m-pro 7. the dirt just keep coming off, is this normal?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts