FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone elses FNP do this/is this normal wear?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
EVERY gun wears the finish at that spot - remember - the barrel rubs the slide everytime the slide moves. All my guns show wear there.

My FNP had about 300 rounds and has just a slight, slight hint of wear.

I've never seen it exactly like that before, however. Usually its a bit more uniform.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I might do that.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Wait, I looked at mine. I have wear patterns similar to that. Not quite as worn thru the black - but that may be the flash U used.

It looks fine. It looks worse in the pic - but when I look at mine - its about the same. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't know. . . . .looks like it is a bit "gouged", for lack of a better term.

Mine has had 500-700 rounds through it (not exactly sure), yet hardly has any of the black worn off. :-?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well - I guess it depends if its just on the surface, or if there is any depth to the marks. Can't tell that too well in this pic. The flash may be making it look worse - or maybe not...

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not really "gouged" but, but almost all the finish is worn off there and its not too even either. Maybe the slide or barrel aren't seated right and the slide is pushing down a little too hard on it. This is my first handgun, and I didn't think it looked like normal wear. I guess I'll contact FN and see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yeah, ShipWreck, you may be right about the flash. It makes it look like pretty deep gouges, but djv38 stated that it wasn't the case, so . . . WOW, what a flash will do! :evil:

djv38, could you take another picture of it, perhaps at a slightly offset angle? That would be helpful to us and FN.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShipWreck said:
Wait, I looked at mine. I have wear patterns similar to that. Not quite as worn thru the black - but that may be the flash U used.

It looks fine. It looks worse in the pic - but when I look at mine - its about the same. Don't worry about it.
That does make me feel a little better :? I may have to try to take a pic without the flash (the pic was not with my camera. I don't have a digital one yet, so it may be a while before I can get my friends back)

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is normal for some of the finish to wear like that....but not to where it is carving into the metal. Then you have a problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
All modified Browning operation handguns will have wear in different patterns on the barrel block like that. Basically, the slide is rubbing off the finish on the barrel block. When you draw the slide back, you can see how it happens. It is normal.

In fact, when buying used handguns the wear on the barrel finish is a good way to determine how many rounds went through it. Check both the top of the barrel block and the finish along the barrel itself where it would rub against the slide.

I bought a "used" Walther P99AS 9mm for $500. The barrel didn't have a mark on it, and this was consistent with the condition of the rest of the pistol. The pistol was either fired very little or not at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This looks like a problem to me. However all guns will have some wear in this area. I would contact FN. Do you lube the inside of the slide really good sides and top, etc?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I had a ccdw instructor class and two guys and new S&W m&p's and neither one of them functioned well at all and both of them happened to be new guns. The first one's firing pin malfunctioned rendering then gun as a extravagant paper weight and the second one had a terrible jam to the point where the round was stuck in the action and it was basically impossible to free the jam. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts