FN Herstal Firearms banner

How do you feel about incidents like this?

• Officer handled situation correctly?

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • Officer did not handled situation correctly?

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I wouldn't feel bad if officer shot himself in the face.

Votes: 14 26.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is crazy...

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is an example of a frustrated GI Joe policeman getting to take out his frustration on an individual for a minor incident. The results are a massive over reaction on both players. Couple this with the deadly incident in Moore, OK and it seems this is becoming more common place versus a rare incident. It is a scary situation for the public. For example the police break into your home because they misread the address on the warrant. They don't identify themselves and you try to defend your home and one of your family or you are killed. Are you the bad guy or are the police? What can we do as citizens to protect ourselves and our family?

In Moore, OK, the police response to a complaint that a mom slapped her daughter for in appropriate conduct. Five officers show up, assume it must be the Dad - take him down because he didn't give them his ID - spray pepper spray down his throat and the five hold him down while they try to cuff him - he dies. For what? Didn't show his ID or to much force on the part of the police?

Think before you deal with the police - they are dangerous!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an example of a frustrated GI Joe policeman getting to take out his frustration on an individual for a minor incident. The results are a massive over reaction on both players. Couple this with the deadly incident in Moore, OK and it seems this is becoming more common place versus a rare incident. It is a scary situation for the public. For example the police break into your home because they misread the address on the warrant. They don't identify themselves and you try to defend your home and one of your family or you are killed. Are you the bad guy or are the police? What can we do as citizens to protect ourselves and our family?

In Moore, OK, the police response to a complaint that a mom slapped her daughter for in appropriate conduct. Five officers show up, assume it must be the Dad - take him down because he did't give them his ID - spray pepper spray down his throat and the five hold him down while they try to cuff him - he dies. For what? Didn't show his ID or to much force on the part of the police?

Very true. Personally i'm more scared of the government then the criminals. If a criminal busts in your door holding at gun at your loved ones you can shoot them. If the government misreads a no knock warrant address and busts in your door.... holds a gun at your loved ones you can shoot them as well, but the corrupt courts will have you sentenced to life in prison....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It would be in everyone's best interest to understand the proper way to behave when dealing with officers of the law. Perhaps it should be taught in school and broadcasted in the media in stead of the continual airing of Hollywood's dirty laundry. As a rule of thumb, respect on both sides goes along way. When a police officers issues a reasonable demand, it is highly advisable to comply without drama, you will get your day in court. The police are not there to judge your innocent or guilty but to facilitate your processing into the system that will make that decision. The only time a LEO should take an extremely aggressive approach is when imminent danger is at hand. Otherwise, a more respectful approach is warranted for a civilized outcome. In the above case, I would have read her the Miranda Rights, which in my experience facilitates compliance and docility in must suspects. Then if she confessed to her crime it would actually be admissible in court. I do not know that departments policy on issuing citations to pay fines and/or appear in court , so I won't comment on that. In the above case, both parties were at fault to a degree, the college employee over reacted with undo drama, while the officer did a lousy job of stressing the consequence's of resisting arrest, and that she will have the opportunity to explain the circumstance to the magistrate. Times have certainly changed.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This incident should have played out like this: LEO should have explained the charges against her and then read her the Miranda warning. She should have exercised her right to remain silent and the LEO should have filed the complaint to the DA's office and let them decide if charges were to be filed. Complying and remaining silent is the most prudent course of action no matter what situation you are in.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Wow, seams like they are making a mountain out of a molehill. That said, she really needs to learn to close her mouth, she shouldn't keep telling the police to wait and she really shouldn't tell the police to, "Shut up!" multiple times. Even if the police are completely wrong it is highly unlikely you are going to talk your way out of the situation, especially by raising your voice and cussing.

It would be good if these officers were wearing individual video cameras.
Use of force in California city has dropped 60% due to cops wearing cameras.
Big Brother Turned On His Head
RIALTO, CA– A small California town outside Los Angeles has been the subject of an intriguing experiment in law enforcement. Over the past year, the 70 officers of the Rialto police department have all been equipped with body cameras. The results are encouraging, and are likely to expand to others parts of the US, as well as the UK.

See: Use of force in California city has dropped 60% due to cops wearing cameras | The Libertarian Republic

·
Registered
280 Posts

In Moore, OK, the police response to a complaint that a mom slapped her daughter for in appropriate conduct. Five officers show up, assume it must be the Dad - take him down because he did't give them his ID - spray pepper spray down his throat and the five hold him down while they try to cuff him - he dies. For what? Didn't show his ID or to much force on the part of the police?

Take your fear mongering somewhere else. I don't see any problem with what happened in this video, and I'm sure that the female won't be able to find a lawyer that does either (aside from standard tactics to win the criminal case). WTF does this have to do AT ALL with what happened in OK? Do some research and you will find that the police during the "good ole' days" were truely a force to be feared. Excessive force was a normal part of business and corruption was rampant. Why? No CAMERAS. There are cameras everywhere now, which capture the bad incidents at a greater rate, and it then appears that the police are out of control. In reality, they are more professional than they have ever been (as a whole).

The woman in this video precipitated everything that happened. Perhaps the charge was po-dunk given the circumstances, or perhaps the school president told the police chief to take zero tolerance with destruction of property. In any case, all she had to do was go to the PD, sign her summons, appear in court, make her case, and let the judge/jury decide. When someone is under arrest, they are under arrest. No one should expect to be told they are under arrest, respond with, "whoa, this is really going to be an inconvenience for me," and have the cops reply, "my bad, nevermind."

·
Registered
280 Posts
This incident should have played out like this: LEO should have explained the charges against her and then read her the Miranda warning. She should have exercised her right to remain silent and the LEO should have filed the complaint to the DA's office and let them decide if charges were to be filed. Complying and remaining silent is the most prudent course of action no matter what situation you are in.
Miranda is not required for a non-custodial interview.

·
Registered
431 Posts
if she was under arrest from the start then she would have been bound then. she wasn't until she argued. ware was the resisting arrest at that moment? she was going to be issues a citation. how it really should have been played out she should have asked if she was under arrest from the git go but that most likely would have gotten her maced.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It would be in everyone's best interest to understand the proper way to behave when dealing with officers of the law. Perhaps it should be taught in school and broadcasted in the media in stead of the continual airing of Hollywood's dirty laundry. As a rule of thumb, respect on both sides goes along way. When a police officers issues a reasonable demand, it is highly advisable to comply without drama, you will get your day in court. The police are not there to judge your innocent or guilty but to facilitate your processing into the system that will make that decision. The only time a LEO should take an extremely aggressive approach is when imminent danger is at hand. Otherwise, a more respectful approach is warranted for a civilized outcome. In the above case, I would have read her the Miranda Rights, which in my experience facilitates compliance and docility in must suspects. Then if she confessed to her crime it would actually be admissible in court. I do not know that departments policy on issuing citations to pay fines and/or appear in court , so I won't comment on that. In the above case, both parties were at fault to a degree, the college employee over reacted with undo drama, while the officer did a lousy job of stressing the consequence's of resisting arrest, and that she will have the opportunity to explain the circumstance to the magistrate. Times have certainly changed.
I managed and taught an Air Force Junior ROTC program for 19 years after 25 years in the Air Force. A few of our graduates are now police officers in our city. I asked one of our grads when a police officer could ask to see your ID - he said when that police officer intended to arrest you. Is that how you see it also?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really hoped in posting the video that everyones first thought would be how stupid whole incident was. I mean come on writing with a marker on a directions sign!!! That officer is little bi!ch for even excepting from some official to give a citation. If it were me I would flat out say i'm not giving a citation for this stupid shat! If a little kid marks the wall with a crayon do you want me to bring them down to the station as well? I feel the real issue is how police follow libtard commands. Thats what scares me. I personally have not and will not follow stupid orders that effect others lively hood. I'd rather be fired and have been in the past then give up my integrity. If the other teachers and students think it was stupid as well they could OSHA and report how the map was confusing and they couldn't clearly understand the fire exists. Possibly even file a lawsuit because of mental anguish suffered by not being able to clearly see where the emergency exits were. Fight liberal stupidity with liberal stupidity.

·
Registered
431 Posts
just has a funny thought on all of this...she was an employee...so as her employer they took no dispensary action what so ever and let it ride for 2 days before sicking the police on her? no write up in her file or suspension or even a stern talking to? she worked at the information center, and she corrected a posting that sole purpose is to dispense accurate information. hell it sounds like she was doing her job as far as i can tell.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just a bad situation all around. She was scared and over reacted. I also was wondering at one time, the officer advised her, he would taze her? Come on... Really? In my day, it was a PR24, 9MM, Radio. And we got the job done. We also didn't take a subject down for a citation, we issued it on the scene. Just bad all around. I don't blame the cops but just the way things were handled. But wait... she was an employee of the school?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I asked one of our grads when a police officer could ask to see your ID - he said when that police officer intended to arrest you. Is that how you see it also?
No, A LEO may request your ID when ever he pulls you over in a vehicle, when you carry a CCW in Florida you must also have another form of ID with you, if they are taking a witness statement, if you are a suspect in an investigation and so on. I was also under the impression that if a sworn statement against an individual mandating an interview for a misdemeanor or felony accusation required Miranda before questioning on that specific account. I am not familiar with current case law which defines custodial custody, but in the video, they were putting her in custody regardless of her statement; even if she went voluntary without being hand cuffed. Without an affidavit from a witness, a LEO would not need to read Miranda to question a suspect to ascertain if a crime had taken place. The application of custodial custody is vague, and most likely will be decided by judicial discretion in a pretrial hearing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
This could have been handled a hundred different ways with a better outcome each time. However in this scenario (no matter how silly the citation may seem) I believe the police officers' actions were fully justified. At what point is it okay to call a police officer a "dick" and expect nothing bad to happen? Then they said, 'she needed to come with them' and she refused. It obviously got a lot worse from there. Yes, it's an f'ed up situation but had she acted differently it wouldn't have escalated the way it did. P.S. I was on her side until she wouldn't comply. Then all bets were off.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This could have been handled a hundred different ways with a better outcome each time. However in this scenario (no matter how silly the citation may seem) I believe the police officers' actions were fully justified. At what point is it okay to call a police officer a "dick" and expect nothing bad to happen? Then they said, 'she needed to come with them' and she refused. It obviously got a lot worse from there. Yes, it's an f'ed up situation but had she acted differently it wouldn't have escalated the way it did. P.S. I was on her side until she wouldn't comply. Then all bets were off.
If someone is being a dick then calling them a dick is justified. The officer is a public servant. Meaning servant to the people. We are not servants to the police. When she called him a dick I think he would have been in his rights to say "why are you acting like a *****?" The thing that gets me is if the officer said "I'm sorry I have to give you this bull**** citation....I feel your frustration, take your time collecting your things and tell me if I can help carry anything for you as we go to the station." There would be no incident. In my personal experience older officers are more sympathetic in there wording and generally speak to you as a human...they don't have anything to prove...and know how to please a women. The younger officers in my experience tend to speak like someone hard up. They act like they have something to prove......and are probably in a bad mood because they don't know how to please women.

I remember a long time ago talking to my Grandfather who served in WWII about why women of his generation seemed a lot happier in marriage and stuck by there husband in good times and bad times. I remember him flat out saying thats because we know how to properly please a women in bed. I was a little taken back...and then he said how do you think me and your grandma had 4 boys and 2 girls.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
just has a funny thought on all of this...she was an employee...so as her employer they took no dispensary action what so ever and let it ride for 2 days before sicking the police on her? no write up in her file or suspension or even a stern talking to? she worked at the information center, and she corrected a posting that sole purpose is to dispense accurate information. hell it sounds like she was doing her job as far as i can tell.
This is actually what I thought was the most bizarre part of this story. No contact by her immediate supervisor. No summons to Human Resources. Just send in the police to handle this? Unreal. Someone in the media in this town needs to go to college officials and ask them why it was handled that way. There has to be some back story here we are not getting. I work at a university and this kinda scares the crap out of me that college officials reacted that way. Makes me wonder over my time there what I could have been taken down for. I have been known to not park in my assigned lot.:th_sign0068:

That said, I believe both sides have culpability here. I have learned that arguing with the police is a bad starting point and things will only get worse for you. But hey, if you want to try to stand up to the man, go for it. The more volunteers we get to take a beat down by the cops on video the sooner this situation will get rectified.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Utah Valley University is a dirtbag school. They used your tax dollars for an art exhibit that glorified Russian Military History. An exhibit that gave honor to the drunk, raping murderers of Russia. I thought this was America. Utah has changed so much in the last ten years. It is no longer safe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts