FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 1029 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Unbelievably hard to get this Mk22 in San Francisco for some reason. I had one in my hand in a shop and the owner was literally trying to give it away and I thought (its a .22...I dont need this). By the time I figured out they are pretty awesome and the best option for cheap plinking I can think of, they became rare.

Anyway, I want to make mine look like the tactical looking one that's floating around. I fond the threaded barrel end piece online, now Im looking for suppressors, real or fake, and optics suggestions good to 100 yards or whatever.

Thanks for taking the time with my novice posting.

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
Hey guys,

Unbelievably hard to get this Mk22 in San Francisco for some reason. I had one in my hand in a shop and the owner was literally trying to give it away and I thought (its a .22...I dont need this). By the time I figured out they are pretty awesome and the best option for cheap plinking I can think of, they became rare.

Anyway, I want to make mine look like the tactical looking one that's floating around. I fond the threaded barrel end piece online, now Im looking for suppressors, real or fake, and optics suggestions good to 100 yards or whatever.

Thanks for taking the time with my novice posting.

Welcome to FNForum.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hey Lava! I'm up in Sonoma County, and B2 Enterprises in Cotati has had one on the rack for a couple of months. It was the all black version. I guess the tan ones are still a little hard to get around here. As far as Tacticool goodies to go on it, I haven't seen any fake suppressors, but all the usual back up sights, grips, rail covers, etc are pretty readily available.

If you're serious about buying one, make replacing the iron sights that come with it a high priority (they really suck). I put a pair of the new MagPul MBUS sights on, and am VERY happy with them! You can also get 10-round mags through ISSC-USA, and theyre not grossly over priced, and get delivered pretty quick.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iron sights.

Thats too bad. The fact that when you flip the stock iron sights down they turn into gun sights was attractive to me.

What sucks about them? Accuracy or actual quality?

What problems did you have? Are they not adjustable?

Anyway I plan on getting a small acog or red dot for it.

My only other question would be the one I am constantly nagging about: how are the stocks locked on the inside? Is it permanent? Do you know anything different from whats been said?

Thank you.

·
Registered
512 Posts
They're flimsy and cheaply made. I also had a hard time seeing through them, as their positioning made them hard to see. As for the stock, it retracts in & out, and the cheek rest lifts up as well. It folds up against the upper receiver, and this feature is NOT disabled/pinned etc. like it's big cousin, as it's a rim fire weapon, and is only subject to the magazine capacity requirements. The magazine release is also standard (NOT a bullet button), again, since it is a rim fire weapon.

As for optics? I have a Bushnell Trophy 1x32 red dot scope for it. The "Bushcog" as I call it, is similar in appearance to the ACOG, has numerous settings for day/night good field of view and is only about $175, as opposed to upwards of $750-$1k for a Trijicon or Aimpoint. Just can't justify that kind of $$$ on a $500 rifle. There are several other similar scopes from Barska and Walther (to name a few), that would work just fine.

Hope this all helps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppoe it depends on your dealr. Herein San Francisco, CA, my local dealer ensures that ALL stock adjustments are locked down. Eventhough rimfire rifles are NOT covered under PC 12276.1, out of sheer paranoia, ISSC and or the dealer at the end of the chain locks all movements on the stock. If this isn't the case for you, you either got luck and it slipped though the cracks, or you go ta dealer who knows the law and made an effort, or you go tone early.

What pisses me off most of all is that I had one in my hand for $370 out the door, but I put it down becasue I didn't know what I had and it seemed too cheap. Now, in the end, Ill end up paying twice that.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ooooohhhhhhh, OWCH!!! Yep, $370 is a KILLER deal! I went through a small company in San Jose, and they knew their stuff. The guys at B2 are pretty dialed in as well. Yes, it appears that the dealer you were at was not well versed on the laws. I would suggest calling B2 ( 707-664-1800 ) and chat with them. You may also want to try Bullseye in San Rafael ( 415-453-7465 ).

Reactions: Army EOD

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive already ordered from Guns for all (nice guy there). The rifle is CA legal. I just hope that when it arrives that the dealers on my end dont open it and lock it down. It should arrive with the only the folding stock locked, right? Anything after that must be done by the end dealer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Shouldn't even have THAT! The ONLY thing that applies is the hi-cap mags. Since it is "technically" not an assault weapon (based on calibre), it does not have to have any of the "evil features" disabled.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. But bottom lien I thin Im going to have to get these locks released by a gunsmith. If anyone knows how this can be done PLEASE contact me. $600 for something that doesn't do all that it can is just insult upon injury.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hope you heve better luck with your MK22 than I had. The first couple hundred rounds were great. One of the coolest .22s I had ever fired. Then it started getting consistant fail-to-feed/fail-to-eject jams (about 4 jams per mag). I tried every brand of 22LR round I could get my hands on and it was always the same. I ordered a few spare mags and experienced the same issue with all of them. I broke it down and cleaned it so many times that I really buggered up the paint in a few places. Searched all over the web for solutions (seems it's a very well discussed failure) and even let one of my gunsmith buddies have a look at it. Bottomline is that mine is a jam-o-matic that just takes up space in the safe now. It's a real shame, as it's a great looking gun that everyone was always asking about (while I was clearing jams).

·
Registered
803 Posts
I too own the MK22. I have only had it to the range a few times, but have had stove pipes, FTF & FTF issues. We have tried different brands of ammo with better results. This gun uses the same trigger, bolt assembly that the ATI GSG-5 uses. Which I own as well. My GSG was a first generation model & I sent it back to ATI for in-warranty repairs/upgraded parts and the revised extractor with 2 rivets instead of two pins the were peened holding the extractor on which contributed to the extraction problems. Back to the MK22. It is made in Germany, but marketed through ISSC Austria. Hmm! Anyway my MK22 OUT OF THE BOX with iron sites (no adjustments) is amazingly accurate. I may ad a scope at a later date, but pulling this gun up quick with irons and shooting metal plates is a hoot to shoot. As with any .22 rimfire, they get dirty fast and cleaning ensures a smoother running firearm. If I recall reading in the manual (don't quote me till I check up on it again), but after you remove the stock, there are two screws at the ends of rods that have springs responsible with the timing of pushing the bolt forward you can adjust (by ISSC Armorer's only maybe?). If a certain ammo brand is too anemic it will not push the bolt far enough back to extract it and be in alignment to chamber the next round. Don't give up on this unique SCAR clone. It looks great and with some finessing, I'm sure you will get it dialed in and hopefully return it to the front row of your safe. Hope I have been of some help. I will repost on Monday with a parts schematic and hopefully a video. ​MAJOR

Here is a link to a good article if you guys may have missed it:
http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/issc_modern_sporting_rifle_mk_22/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ammo

What do you find is the best ammunition for this rifle?

Im going to sign my paperwork now.

I look forward to watching TV and petting it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
lavaspit,

We were using Federal Champion in the 525 round bulk pack with some success. I have a brand new box of Federal AutoMatch, but have not had the chance to run it through the MK-22. We used CCI, Remington Bulk (Golden) with problems. My gun needs a good cleaning before I try the Fed. AutoMatch and the CCI Tactical.

CCI Tactical AR. Link: AR Tactical Rimfire Ammo 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Round Nose Box of 375

Here is a video of my daughter shooting our MK-22. It is a lot of fun and economical to shoot.

Congrats on your new purchase. The ISSC website is not working, but when it is up I will post the guns schematic for you if you don't already have it.

Major

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not to piss in the OP's Cheerios, but I'm pretty sure living in Cali you can't have the threaded barrel or suppressor.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Not to piss in the OP's Cheerios, but I'm pretty sure living in Cali you can't have the threaded barrel or suppressor.

Threaded barrels with muzzle breaks are ok.

Suppressors for individual ownership = strictly prohibited. Exempt = Class 3 dealers and Class 2 manufacturers. Surefire is located in Cali...

·
Registered
803 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the link for the parts diagram in PDF format.

http://www.issc.at/download/MK22-expl-drawing.pdf

I found this website with a little digging. I think these guys are the importers for ISSC products. After you click on this link:

ISSC MK22 Rifles.

look at the list on the left and select "product repairs." There is an email and phone contact for parts & repairs

Thanks for the schematics and the video. I wonder if re-ordering and installing part #54 would allow the stock to fold.

1 - 20 of 1029 Posts