FN Herstal Firearms banner
101 - 120 of 1029 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sighting in a 22

I suggest you initially sight in at 25 yards. In the military, initial sighting in is done at 25 yards because the projectile crosses the line of sight at approximately 25 and 100 yards. This is due to the fact that the bullet travels in an arc, first rising to the line of sight at 25yd, then falling to meet it again at about 100 yards. This is more or less true regardless of caliber, the only difference is the height of the ballistic arc. To put it another way, the faster the bullet, the flatter the trajectory and the shallower the arc.
OK, so once you get squared away at 25 yards, you can move to fifty yards and refine your aim, since the greater distance should magnify shooter error (assuming the shooter is capable of error). 75 yards is also doable, at this distance, the bullet will have dropped nearly two inches away from the aimpoint you established at 25 yards. When you move out to 100 yards, a .22 Lr has spent about 1/3 second in the air and will have had time to drop considerably, the difference between 50 and 100 yards will be nearly three inches. Wind will also buck your bullets around.

Remember, as the target distance grows beyond 50 yards, the bullet is slowing down and the factors not under shooter control (primarily wind) will have more time to work against you. The take away here is that 50 yards is pretty much the sweet spot for highly repeatable results under other than "laboratory" conditions. Small game hunting generally calls for a 75 yard zero. Lastly, I favor 40 grain bullets, they retain more energy at greater distance and extract more energy initially from the powder ( more time in the barrel = more energy absorbed before exiting the muzzle).

Now you have my two cents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried the remington bulk pack in mine and it did not like it,which I have read about these guns. So far the CCI bulk pack has been really good to me with only two faults to date(about 300-400rds) But I will not attempt the remingtons again.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Doesn't CCI, federal and Winchester make bulk packs as well? I wonder if anyone of those work better than another? I'm shooting the 100 round boxes right now of CCI and Remington. I had about 5 failure to fires on the remington and haven't been through enough CCI to comment yet.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I haven't tried this brand yet.

Cabela's: Winchester® M22 .22LR Ammunition – Per 1,000

If anyone has, please post your experience. I did try the CCI Tactical, but shot the rounds when the BCG was very dirty. I had mixed results. I did shoot the Federal Auto Match after the rifle was cleaned thoroughly and had great results.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Email reply from ISSC

I wrote ISSC an email describing some of the issues that have affected MK 22 owners on this and other sites. I stated that I would post any reply as a way to get the ISSC party line on these concerns out to the user base. So here is the reply:

Dear Mr Hinze, Thank you for taking the time to write us. Every suggestions to improve our products are very welcome and we take them all very serious. Some of the mentioned issues were already solved. For example, we use a stronger material for the stock now, so the stock won't brake anymore. For the three upper rails we use threaded bushings and thread locker (thread locker in general on every screw) to make sure they won't come loose. You are right there is a learning curve with every product you place at the market and we will never stop to improve our products and you are right again this is only possible through a good communication with the users and people like you giving use some useful feedback. Regarding your warranty, usually modifications like you did on your weapon would harm the warranty but because of your special situation through the change of our importer it won't void it. Thank you again for all you suggestions and be sure we take a close look on every of them. Best regards, Sebastian Schachinger ISSC Handels GmbH Hannesgrub 3 4910 Ried Österreich Tel: 0043 7752 21270-40 Fax: 0043 7752 21271 Email: [email protected] www.issc-handels-gmbh.at

(To keep the post brief, I omitted my original email. It mentioned just about every concern that's been mentioned in this thread and suggested a solution.)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I haven't tried this brand yet.

Cabela's: Winchester® M22 .22LR Ammunition – Per 1,000

If anyone has, please post your experience. I did try the CCI Tactical, but shot the rounds when the BCG was very dirty. I had mixed results. I did shoot the Federal Auto Match after the rifle was cleaned thoroughly and had great results.
I am finishing up a box of 1000 (about 200 left) in my Sig 522. I have had zero issues with this ammo in my Sig 522 but my wife did have some failures to feed in her Walther P22. Like all rim fire ammo it's dirty but better than rem Golden bullet but CCI Mini mag seems cleaner. I have only used these three brands so far. Major I see from your other post you don't mind cleaning so I would recommend it. I want to thank you and everyone else that posted about the MK22. I was gunho to have a Mk22 next to my Sig 522 but after seeing all the stuff everyone has had to work through I have to pass. I do admire everyone for that "can-do going to make it work no matter what" altitude. Thanks guys for all the shared info.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was doing some basic cleaning today of the mk22 and I was wondering if there was a tear down video to get into the firing mechanism and how to clean it. I looked back on this thread and couldn't find a how to.

Secondly, how do you guys repair dings that have removed a little of the black coating on the upper? There is a little spot of silver during through where it's missing the paint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could prolly damn near take a sharpie marker to the dings. Gonna post pics of mine soon, I painted part of the stock tan,the mags tan,and have a tan grip and light coming for it. Looks pretty slick.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What's missing from ISSCs' reply

They didn't seem to comment on a Failure to Fire situation though. Any thoughts on that topic I might have missed in their letter?
I suppose Sebastian has to take liability concerns into account when choosing what to freely discuss with the public and what to ignore. You are correct, he did not address each and every issue that I raised in my email.
He did state they would take all of my remarks under advisement.

For your edification, here is the entire email I sent ISSC.

If you folks been following the posts and actual user reviews concerning your Mk 22, you're aware that there is considerable concern about several issues that affect the useability and reliability of the gun. Number one, in my book, is the propensity of the stock to crack on the sides of the "D" button housing. This part is way too thin, apparently because it was designed as a component for an air soft toy gun. The part looks identical to the stock on a D-Boys air soft SCAR. I contacted Sports World, Tulsa Oklahoma to see about repair options and was told I needed to return the gun to Tulsa for repair. . i was given to understand during this telephone call that "fitting" of the replacement stock was required that could not be entrusted to the user and required the return of the gun. That's all I was told. Unless a different, better designed part like the stock on a Tokyo Mari or VFC air soft SCAR replica was used to effect the repair, I fail to see why I needed to send the entire gun to Sports World.
I take exception to shipping a firearm at my expense when I do not understand the need for the repair facility to have the entire gun to replace a removable and user replaceable component. I made further email inquiries of Sports World and received a reply that it would do to return the stock along with the serial number of the gun. Presumably, with this second option, the repair facility would just send me the needed part. Question is, is it any different/better than the original part? If not, then it seems likely to fail the same as the first one did.
Meantime, in the six months between the closing of the Ware, MA facility and the opening of the Tulsa repair operation , I have repaired the stock myself (see the attached photos). I used aluminum window screen pressed in to the base plastic with a soldering iron followed by several more layers of window screen and industrial metal filled epoxy. A lot of work, but I desperately wanted this rifle to work. Does this mean my warranty is null and void per the declaration on the Legacy Sports website? What was I supposed to do in the interim, particularly in view of the absence of communication from ISSC-USA during this period?
I have replaced the M4 x .70 screws that secure the bolt carrier anchor block because the stock screws are too short and often come loose, destroying the threads in the mating part as they do so. I caught mine before that happened, having read posts concerning this.
I have ground off four coils of the firing pin return spring to alleviate the strong tendency of the weapon to fail to fire due to light primer strikes. The firing pin still has lots of bounce to resist "slamfire" and works 99.9% better.
It was necessary to re-secure the three top sections of Picatinney rail. I used epoxy to insure they would stay put.
Finally, the cleaning instructions are a fantasy, the semi-automatic rimfire that doesn't require thorough cleaning has yet to be invented, and the Mk 22 ain't it. Rimfire ammo is dirty. Write some comprehensive instructions to guide the user in the cleaning process. While you're at it, consider substituting metric Allen head fasteners for the Torx fasteners on the bolt carrier assembly.
The "Chicago" style screws within a screw that secure the upper and lower receiver are out of place on a "tactical" rifle, consider greatly enhancing your product by going with the "HK" style push pin such as that found on the GSG-5.
I sincerely hope that ISSC wil take steps to improve communications between itself and users of its' products. It is understood that there is a learning curve after the introduction of a complex product such as a semi-automatic firearm to its' user base and the operating environment. A shakedown period is expected, but so is good communication. These issues affect many users of your otherwise fine gun and call out to be addressed and clarified. I post on at least two websites that concern themselves with the ISSC Mk 22 (one is tactical22.net and the other is FNforum.com). If you would be so kind as to take the time to give me the official ISSC party line on these issues, I would be more than happy to communicate them to users of these sites.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wow Hinze! That was an well written, respectful yet very thorough and descriptive letter. I am in the process of figuring out how to correctly disassemble the whole gun including removing the carrier assembly and I haven't decided about cutting the spring yet but I supposed I'll have to see how many FTF I have during the break in.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fine idea to start with a thoroughly clean weapon and decide if you have a light strike issue before starting to modify the fp spring. When you disassemble the bolt carrier and bolt for cleaning or modification, you will need a T-8 Torx for the bolt carrier screws (five screws) a T-6 to remove the set screw that secures a pin which retains the fp and a T-10 for the three screws that secure the bolt jacket to the bolt. Post #39 gives more detailed instructions and #48 has photos of the disassembled bolt and of primers with a light strike and healthy strike. The healthy strike is noticeably deeper and "crisper".
If you decide to trim the spring, I recommend using a bench grinder to carefully grind off some coils from both ends. Spring steel will ruin the jaws of most diagonal cutters capable of making such a fine cut and the ***** won't leave a flat end on the spring like a wheel will. Just be careful not to let the wheel throw the spring across the room or in you face ( wear safety glasses?) and don't hold the spring on the wheel long enough to burn the temper out of it.

Thank you for the compliment.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Has anyone found out a plae to get mags for less than $50 each? I emailed the guy that someone else mentioned having to fax an order in and he said they were all out as a bunch of people started buying them recently. So, I've been stuck with finding those $70 mags. I can tell you this, I refuse to pay that much for a magazine right now. I just hoping that retailers will be getting more in stock soon, as alot of the ones I've emailed have said that they are expecting shipments soon as they are sold out.

On a positive note I've figured out how to take the carrier apart and I've also gotten to see how it fires, and why the cut spring works. I may actually do that if it still fails to fire enough rounds next time at the range, especially since that's really my only issue right now?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I only have one mag that came with my MK-22. At the time of purchase I decided to wait to make sure that I would like this gun before I bought 3 more mags. Hind Sight is 20-20 now. I wish I had bought them when I had the chance. I decided to call the gun dealer I purchased the MK from today to see if he would have any luck from the distributor that he got the rifle from. He called me back and said they are OUT OF STOCK. :th_bang:
So it would appear that this is a nationwide dilemma. The dealers and online stores that have them are going to ask exorbitant prices of course. So in the interim I guess we will all have to wait 'til the new distributor takes over the reigns. Hopefully prices will fall back in line by then.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Range report:
I've gone twice to shoot it and the first time (after cleaning) it failed to fire about 10 - 15% so I went ahead and cut the spring and now I completely understand how it works. However, the second time to the range I still had the same percent of FTFs.... In addition about 2% failure to eject. I shot about 150-200 rounds each time.

I took off four coils and still had the failure to fire problem. Any other thoughts? Take another coil, more lube?

What about the failure to eject? Just a thought, what if a couple coils were removed from the springs that push the action forward? Maybe it would make it easier to push it back and eject the shell. Just an idea.

Does anyone have any other input or fixes? I REALLY want to get it working 100%.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
Save Those Coils!

I would be slow to take more coils off. Have you stoned the sides of the firing pin? It is a stamped part and not completely flat. Stoning it some will remove a belly from one side and an edge from the other, making it flatter and giving a few thousandths more clearance in it's channel. The stoned texture may also improve lubricity and reduce the tendency of residue to "pill" on the nose of the firing pin. Run a pipe cleaner thru the channel on the bolt while you have the firing pin out. Pull back on the extractor claw and wiggle your pipe cleaner behind it, there may be residue keeping the claw from fully engaging the case rim. Another possibility to check is that the claw point is not a sharp as one would like, compare it closely with the one pictured in post 48.
Look for residue in the ring on the bolt face that shrouds the cartridge rim. Crap here may pad the impact of the fp and increase the likelihood of FTF, run the tip of a toothpick around this area and see if you harvest a gob of waxy crud. How do your firing pin strikes appear (pictures would be nice) ? You want a deep, crisp imprint of the fp tip. Do yours vary between the rounds that go "Pop" and those that don't?
Have you had the problem with ejection from the get-go with this rifle, or is it increasing with time?
I don't think I'd be too quick to modify the bolt return springs either, you want them plenty strong to strip a round from the mag and drive it home in the chamber. If the bolt is half-assed closed against the breech face, this could prove counter-productive.
Start chopping off spring coils all over the place and you are likely to end up needing new parts. It's you weapon, so feel free to experiment. First, I'd eliminate the other possibilities and have a real concrete idea how modifying a spring is gonna help. Don't do it because "maybe" it'll help. Also, remember the warranty. Legacy Sports will justifiably back away from it's warranty obligations if we make unauthorized alterations.
More lube in a rimfire usually means more oily black gritty goop. Less lube is generally better than more. Remember that the residue also contains glass powder, an ingredient in the primer compound.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My 400th post. Woohoo!

I concur with Vhinze, hyrule. If you had a parts tray full of BCG springs, I would say whack away. But none of us do. What ammo are you using and which brands have you had the most success with? In my post 81, we shot 66 rounds of Federal Auto Match between the three of us with no problems what so ever. I realize that isn't enough rounds to replicate my previous problems & more rounds need to be sent downrange. It might not take too much debris to cause failure in the BCG. I would suggest taking it apart again & look at every nook and cranny. Maybe your BCG is of tighter tolerances than ours and causing issue with spent powder residue. Pictures would be great. Report back with your findings.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Good posts! I appreciate your guys input in figuring this out. Here is what I have so far:

I will get some pictures of some rounds that didn't fire and some that did tomorrow. But what exactly pictures do you want me to show of the BCG, just general photos? I cleaned it off again tonight and reassembled. It seems that the ejection problem is starting after a while of use I don't recall having a problem ejecting until now just the FTFire, I've only gotten about 500-600 rounds through it so far. I did clean out around where the rim sits and didn't get too much gunk off but a little. I'm going to throw this out there and I didn't consider it until now, I have been using ammo that is a few years old (some of it probably 10 years) from my grandfather. It's all Remington 100 pack, Federal High Velocity bulk and CCI mini-mags 100 packs. I didn't think ammo would degrade in quality over time as people are talking alot about keeping SHTF ammo around for a while if ever needed but perhaps this could be the problem..... I wish I'd of thought of this sooner but I'll have too get some new rounds and see what happens. Although, those same rounds through a Marlin 22 rifle work flawlessly and I've had no failure to fires with that.

I'm not going to cut anymore springs I simply wanted to throw it out there. And where would you recommend lubing then so as not to use too much?

101 - 120 of 1029 Posts