FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Firstly I just wanna say that as a fairly new scar owner, this forum has been incredibly helpful in providing advice and tips about the scar. So my issue is fairly simple however I am not aware of any other 17s owners that have experienced it.

I decided to purchase a KDG scar stock as a college graduation present to myself and ran into an unexpected issue. Whenever I fired a round through the scar, the cheek riser on the KDG stock was knocked backwards, out of the locked position. This caused the cheek riser to fall from the raised adjustment setting to the lower one. For those who don't own the KDG stock, the riser is adjusted by pushing the piece backwards, into an unlocked position. From there, the user can choose a lower or raised position in which to secure the riser by pushing it forward again into the locked position. The recoil of the rifle seems to have knocked the cheek riser backwards, into the unlocked position, where it would fall from the raised position into the lower one. This issue persisted even after I re-secured the cheek riser and double-checked that it was locked into place after each shot.

I contacted KDG about the issue, and they were very helpful and willing to discuss possible reasons for this issue. I even shipped my stock to them to examine and possibly identify the issue, however they could not find anything wrong with the stock. They concluded that the issue must be specific to my setup.

For reference, I have not made any modifications to the 17s aside from the upgraded stock. My question is: Has anyone who owns or has owned this stock experienced this issue and, if so, is there a possible solution that I am overlooking?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have a new owner onboard.

I've not heard of this issue before, but I'm not surprised. 17s are known to be overgassed (for reliability) from the factory. When you replace the synthetic recoil plate (the stock hinge) with a metal one your BCG is going to pound it. A few options to consider:
1. Try firing your rifle (unsuppressed), but set the gas regulator to suppressed mode. I run my unsuppressed 17 in suppressed mode to lighten the recoil.
2. Try a recoil buffer. I like and use the Mototech rubber one SCAR17 SCAR16 Backplate
3. Buy a set of PMM gas jets to tune your rifle to your loads PMM SCAR 16/17 Stainless Steel Gas jets
4. Try the Mototech gas regulator to turn down the gas SCAR Gas Regulator or the SCARburator.

Let me know how #1 works for you. I bet that will tell us what you should do next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have a new owner onboard.

I've not heard of this issue before, but I'm not surprised. 17s are known to be overgassed (for reliability) from the factory. When you replace the synthetic recoil plate (the stock hinge) with a metal one your BCG is going to pound it. A few options to consider:
1. Try firing your rifle (unsuppressed), but set the gas regulator to suppressed mode. I run my unsuppressed 17 in suppressed mode to lighten the recoil.
2. Try a recoil buffer. I like and use the Mototech rubber one SCAR17 SCAR16 Backplate
3. Buy a set of PMM gas jets to tune your rifle to your loads PMM SCAR 16/17 Stainless Steel Gas jets
4. Try the Mototech gas regulator to turn down the gas SCAR Gas Regulator or the SCARburator.

Let me know how #1 works for you. I bet that will tell us what you should do next.
Thanks so much for the reply! Funny you mention the Mototech buffer pad, I actually just ordered one the other day after hearing some good reviews from other owners. I figured if it didn't work as expected, I'm only out $22. I'll definitely try your first option as soon as I can get to the range this week and report back!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! Funny you mention the Mototech buffer pad, I actually just ordered one the other day after hearing some good reviews from other owners. I figured if it didn't work as expected, I'm only out $22. I'll definitely try your first option as soon as I can get to the range this week and report back!
Install the Mototech RUBBER buffer (NOT the nylon one that they have available also), purchase a 1.25mm, 1.30mm & 1.35mm replacement gas jets from Parker Mountain Machine & WATCH JAROD'S VIDEO REGARDING THE GAS JET/SUPPRESSOR RELATIONSHIP. It's a MANDATORY watch for SCAR newbies. My SCAR 17S SBR with the Mototech rubber buffer, KDG stock, Handl Defense aftermarket lower & Surefire SOCOM [email protected] 7.62 suppressor likes the 1.35mm gas jet best, but jet size varies depending on the suppressor used. DON'T buy the 3 position or SCARburator prior to tuning your SCAR with PMM gas jets. The 3 position and/orSCARburator are great for the SCAR 20S where you can't access/modify the gas system without removing the barrel each time. That $149 is better spent for a good bipod, forward grip, weapon light, etc. for the SCAR 16S & 17S. It's overkill otherwise IMHO...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts