FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to concealed carry, and I'm wondering where you all carry? I've been using the 3 o clock carry, but sometimes the grip sticks out (imprints?). Would a 4 or 5 o clock carry help this?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am a big fan of Appendix (AIWB) carry I have a Ruger SR40C and use an unconventional holster system 3Speed Holster (90% of the time) and the other times I use a Sticky Holster. The 3 Speed Holster i wear at 1:30-2:00 the Sticky Holster at 2:00 (I have some mobility issues I can easily cross draw to 11:00 and if I don't have any stiffness of joints I can do 3:00, but that's a slow draw for me. 3Speed 4-6-2014.jpg DSCN4718c.jpg DSCN4719c.jpg

·
Registered
749 Posts
Have to go with your body shape and what works for you. 3 oclock is tough cause its gonna stick out, 4 or 5 would definitely be better. I have found oppo appendix to work for me at 11. Stays off the junk and follows the crease of my left leg. I am a righty.
Interesting set up above. I use a foxx trap holster. Compact durable and affordable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Appendix allows for great concealment (no problems carrying a G19 /w WML). Prior to AIWB conversion, I carried at about 4 o'clock IWB

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I usually carry 3 O'clock. Works best for me. 4 and 5 O'clock just doesn't work for me when I sit/bend over.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Strong side, kidney here. Femoral artery getting hit during the unlikely event of a malfunction keeps me from carrying up front. Small of the back sucks to get to quickly while seated and buckled in the vehicle. Prefer a cross draw while driving.

-SS

·
Registered
373 Posts
Strong side, kidney here. Femoral artery getting hit during the unlikely event of a malfunction keeps me from carrying up front. Small of the back sucks to get to quickly while seated and buckled in the vehicle. Prefer a cross draw while driving.

-SS
Agreed. I carry at about 4-5 o'clock fits right in my hip and outer butt cheek comfortable when driving and little to no print (Kimber Ultra series)

·
Registered
79 Posts

-SS
A good holster is key. I know many a man who removes the holster completely when re-holstering AIWB as an extra protective measure. In my experience about everything on-body is less than ideal when in the drivers seat, sans a shoulder rig. Seatbelts and body position can be a mother. There are some good techniques out there to mitigate some of the negatives though.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Depending on my mood, and clothing for the day, I'll usually carry anywhere from 3-5 o'clock. It's a pretty easy fix if you're worried about printing.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'm not cool enough to know what all these hourly positions are, but I carry mine on the hip where I can have an easy draw AND my elbow can be used to ward off unintended touches from strangers bumping into me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Appendix works best for me. I use the INCOG holster for a G19/23. Gotta keep your gut down, but appendix is best for conceal-ability and quick access in all situations (sitting, driving, etc).

Edge Works INCOG IWB Holster System
This is my rig as well.

For all other positions I find it hard to not print for my body type. Additionally, I find IWB appendix carry to be the best for quick acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
A very intelligent and highly trained friend enlightened me on something that eluded me. The pistol needs to come out quickly when needed. Once the threat is neutralized, I can take all day to holster the weapon.

-SS
I've been taught few same. I can't think of any situation where a speed re-holster is needed. I know of several accidental discharges occurring from re-holstering too quickly or haphazardly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
+1 As far as I know, speed reholstering has never won a gunfight.

A very intelligent and highly trained friend enlightened me on something that eluded me. The pistol needs to come out quickly when needed. Once the threat is neutralized, I can take all day to holster the weapon.

-SS

·
Registered
166 Posts
I mostly pocket carry 9MM Shield now but when I carry IWB it's a SR9-C with a Remora holster which can be rather easily switched to any "clock". Remora's are great too as they're slim and sticky.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Well, I quit pocket holstering my Glock 33.
I was on my way home when a call came out about a car with four males waving a gun at people. Everyone was tied up. An officer responding to a crash saw the suspect car and pulled it over. Of course, I'm right around the corner on my way home so I stop to back him up.

Well, took me a second to get my 33 out of my pocket while I grabbed another 9-rd mag out of my bag. Then I'm up there with him thinking, hmm....I only have 10 rounds in this gun. I just bought a new car so I didn't have my full size spare mags handy in the door pocket.

Nothing like feeling outgunned in case all four occupants had a gun. Thankfully it turned out to be stupid adults (not teenagers even though they were 18-19, they're adults) with a paintball gun. They asked the first officer if they would be shot for that. He said he wouldn't have but that crazy Asian there would've shot all four of you just to make a point and get some time off.

So now I'm back to carrying my 32 off duty (or my 21) with a spare mag on the belt. I carry at 3 o'clock (IWB or OWB) because that's where my duty holster sits and I am so used to drawing from there.
I'll dress around the 32/21.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Strong side hip (4 o'clock). Appendix is uncomfortable if sitting and the femoral artery thingy. . .have to assume an AD will occur if in a car wreck, etc, and I'd rather shave some off my ass than take out my femoral or iliac neuromuscular bundle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts