FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd take a minute to share some of my opinions and experiences regarding different SCAR charging handles. The most recent addition to my collection being the Impact Weapon Component's "SCAR Charger" pictured here at the top, followed by the stock FN version and the Tango Down Hyperion charging handle:

Looking down on the rifle, it would seem the Tango Down charging handle by Sentinel Design might offer the most available and ergonomic gripping area. However, in practice, that is not quite the case.

When pulling the handle in this manor as many do using the knuckle of the index finger, only a thin portion of the handle is actually making contact with the hand. This narrow strip also ensures pressure is focused in one spot and quickly becomes very uncomfortable after repeated use.

That's not to say the Tango Down handle is not without merit. It's ability to angle up or down is useful when dealing with obtrusive optic mounts, and it's low profile also helps to reduce likelihood of snagging on your personal gear causing potential malfunctions.

Taking that into consideration, I still prefer the stock OEM handle over the TD angled version due to it's repeated tendency of turning the 12 o'clock rail into a meat grater.

Now then if we reexamine the charging handle profiles - this time looking at the side used to make physical contact and manipulate them - we will see the IWC SCAR Charger actually presents the widest surface area of all three... Making palm style grips like this very easy and controllable.

In my opinion the IWC improves manipulation of the SCAR by offering a large and ergonomic handle to grip while simultaneously remaining low profile and extending outwards no farther than the stock FN counterpart.

In the above photos you can see the handle is oriented "upside down" for ease of access. You can switch it's position, right or side or left, to match the contour of the SCAR's receiver if you wish.

Thus far I have been extremely impressed with both the fine quality and visible craftsmanship delivered out of every IWC product I've owned. It's obvious these guys put deliberate thought into every design aspect and it shows.

Ideally, the perfect SCAR charging handle in my mind would be something akin to an extended Tac-latch you might see on the AR-15. The IWC is the first charging handle I've seen carry over those same design features to the SCAR platform. I don't believe it's 100% just yet, but with continued evolution in that direction, I think we just might get there.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Wow great write up--- mind listing all the charging handles you have tested or have here??? Been looking at changing mine but nt sure what I want- have you tried the E.A.C.H. By sgt Stryker? Kind of liking the one you wrote about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice write up. Haven't tried one personally yet, the EACH has been rock solid for me.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried the E.A.C.H. By sgt Stryker?
My knowledge of the EACH is limited having never used one personally. However I can gather from visual impressions alone that it is probably not the right solution for me. Sarge's handle appears to be designed with the "pinching" method of operation in mind - grabbing the handle pinched between the knuckle of your index finger and thumb - and for that it is designed quite well.

I don't believe the EACH's size is quite necessary though. The IWC handle can be used in the exact same fashion without the added weight and bulk. I'm also aware that those who own them are extremely pleased. There's always room for improvement and in my eyes the IWC design is the way forward.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Personally, the only methods I've used with the EACH are the methods you've pictured. No probs whatsoever. I like the fact that its angled down slightly more than the IWC. I do see how the IWC would have a lot more surface area for non pinching manipulations. Might look into one as a backup.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Ok, nice thanks for the info. I like the smaller size, but i do use the pinching method as stated above. The iwc is cheaper and I need one for the light and heavy. More research is necessary

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
The EACH is designed to be manipulated in any fashion - without restriction. Whether it's palm toward the shooter using the heel of the hand, index finger down, akin to the BCM Gunfighter, or supination of the index finger while manipulating the bolt catch.

The EACH can be installed on either side of the weapon, and there's no concern over getting the gloved or bare hand caught up on an optical mount which is cantilevered over the side(s) of the weapon, such as the Eotech, ADM, LaRue, Leupold, Aimpoint, or any other optical mounting fasteners.

I stated it from inception of the SCAR EACH and I'll reiterate - it's not for everybody and I never intended it to be.Life is full of choices and that's a great thing.

To date, I have not had a single complaint on the EACH, so I think that's a good indication of a decent product.

Cheers!

-SS

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Regardless of whichever method you use to charge the weapon, you are only applying force in one direction on a single surface. Therefore, it stands to reason that one side should be large enough to utilize efficiently without being so obtrusive as to waste excess material where none is needed. The AR-15 learned this lesson through the tac-latch and designs like it long ago. There's no reason those same principals don't apply here as well.

ETA: This post (and those made beforehand) are not meant to knock SgtStryker or the EACH. As stated previously I have heard nothing but positive reviews regarding it. I just don't see it fitting my needs specifically and again these are only opinions.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
That is until if the need to pogo stick the handle rears its ugly head.

If that need arises, mass is always my friend.

Nite all. I'm beat.

-SS

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very true. I've only had to do that once, thankfully.

But would you not agree that all SCAR charging handles share the same weak link in that aspect? That point being the small connection between the handle and the bolt itself?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I recently purchased one of the IWC because the price and design were both very attractive. I noticed some of the same favorable design features that Kalmar mentions and will be running the handle in the downward configuration so that it will clear my QD EOTech EXPS-3 and G33 sights. I havent been able to run the optics or handle becuase of a current deployment but will be hitting the range with them in just over a month! If I don't like the charging handle I plan on getting an EACH. I've heard nothing but favorable reviews for the EACH but figured I'd try something new and different.

·
Registered
118 Posts
OK, let this be the first complaint you get on the EACH: I don't have one. Fix it. :-D

The EACH is designed to be manipulated in any fashion - without restriction. Whether it's palm toward the shooter using the heel of the hand, index finger down, akin to the BCM Gunfighter, or supination of the index finger while
manipulating the bolt catch.

The EACH can be installed on either side of the weapon, and there's no concern over getting the gloved or bare hand caught up on an optical mount which is cantilevered over the side(s) of the weapon, such as the Eotech, ADM, LaRue, Leupold, Aimpoint, or any other optical mounting fasteners.

I stated it from inception of the SCAR EACH and I'll reiterate - it's not for everybody and I never intended it to be.Life is full of choices and that's a great thing.

To date, I have not had a single complaint on the EACH, so I think that's a good indication of a decent product.

Cheers!

-SS

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sarge, can you please elaborate? I'm not an engineer nor a machinist so any knowledge you can share on the subject is appreciated.

I do understand there are material strength factors, perhaps steel hardening techniques used that play a large role underneath the surface. From a layman's view however it would seem that all charging handles are dimensionally constrained to fit inside the bolt carrier itself and travel slot through the receiver. I don't know how any handle can gain mechanical advantage over another with those restrictions.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nice pics. I share your opinion of the OEM vs TangoDown Hyperion charging handle. The TD just felt very difficult to grab for me--it just didn't have a ton of surface area.

I sold the TD and picked up a IWC and couldn't be happier (price was right, too).

I have yet to try the EACH, but it looks to solve the problem associated with the TD.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I tried TD, but had a similar experience as the OP. Have been using the EACH since on both SCARs and love it, looks much larger than it actually is.

IWC makes good gear, if I wasn't very happy with the EACH I'd try one but I for one hate change simple for changes sake.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
Anybody post up a pic of the each with a nickel or a quarter for comparison from side and top and Kilmer would you mind doing the same of the iwc? I need to choose one but sure would be nice to see a good comparison before I pull trigger on some. I have to buy 2. But 2 each is a lot of coin

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Thanks for sharing and including the snaps - much appreciated!

Favorite on all SCARS here is the Spec-Ops by HDD. If you've not acquired one you might consider it. Very similar to stock CH, but angled, larger, stronger, and with a knurled texture that is grippy in dry or wet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great info and it gives me a better picture of what I am looking for in a charging handle. I found everything I needed to know in this posting. Thanks everyone for their input.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts