1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we all know the story - if you don't then here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_embassy_hostage_crisis

http://www.livinginperu.com/blogs/features/234

I *DO NOT* want to start yet another "debate" about the effectiveness of the 5.7 round. I would like to find an after-action report about exactly what did transpire during the rescue and takedown phase of the operation. Information seems to be extremely limited on the exact details of the operation.

The question I have is in regards to the anecdotal stories I've heard on the Interweb about how the targets had to be sprayed down to drop them.

A few things immediately come to mind about the situation that can tweak the outcome, the first being that the P90s in use were suppressed, and the exact type of ammunition is apparently unknown. One would assume off-the-shelf factory ammunition, however normal suppressed rounds are loaded to be subsonic, therefore perhaps it wasn't the ammo you and I can buy.

I'm trying to understand only what happened. How many rounds were fired? How long did the firefight last? What did the autopsy reports show, if anything?

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
Interesting. Hadn't really read anything on that situation before.

I don't see anything there that says 5.7. Did I miss it?

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
Lots of ifs ands ors and buts can be postulated. More information is needed before an accurate conclusion can be rendered.

Too many damned unknowns!

·
Registered
205 Posts
SB193s

All I know is that they were using SB193s. That much was confirmed. Past that, the AAR was never released to the public, as they never are when they contain secret information, such as damage assessments and security response times and methods in Embassies. We will probably won't know for some years what exactly happenned.

As far as the spray down comment, I have to take it with a grain of salt because of all the detractors to the gun and round. It very well could be true that the SB193 didn't have the shock to knock them down with one round. But the whole spray down comment seems a bit of a hyperbole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts