FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jarvis is showing the barrels in stock but the cost is showing $000.00 but when you add it to the cart it shows $370.00.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
just orderedd mine!! $370.00 for the barrel and $20.00 for the thread protector for a total of $390.00

·
Registered
15 Posts
Help me appreciate the value of a $300+ aftermarket barrel specifically for the 57? Is it the added 50 fps (which is insignificant) or the ability to suppress it (which a 22lr does better at 1/10th the cost per round)?

i am totally at a loss for it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Would be purely for the ability to suppress it. I don't think anyone is buying it because it's slightly longer and adding more velocity. FN doesn't (currently) sell a five-seven with a threaded barrel, so this is the best / cheapest way to be able to suppress the platform.

22lr might be quieter (and cheaper) but if you're going to say "better" then why own/shoot any gun other than a 22LR if you think it's better?

A 10/22 is "better" than a SCAR? At some things, sure, but I still own and like to shoot my SCAR(s) for a variety of reasons....

I have a threaded five-seven because I have a can that fits on it (and said can is rated for 5.7) and thus I want a threaded barrel for my five-seven. :x

Once you own a suppressor rated for a specific caliber you end up generally wanting every gun you have in that caliber to be able to host said suppressor, within reason :)

The other part I guess would be the "value" of a spare barrel in general. A stock barrel new is $255, so this is "only" a $115 premium to a new FN barrel ;)

eta: link to factory barrel at MGW
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/fn-five-seven-parts/F861100040

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered one too. The site says in stock after you complete the order you get something saying it needs assembly and shipping will be calculated once it's completed.

Kinda odd as in stock usually means ready to ship.

Anyone ne know how long jarvis takes to assemble and ship?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would be purely for the ability to suppress it. I don't think anyone is buying it because it's slightly longer and adding more velocity. FN doesn't (currently) sell a five-seven with a threaded barrel, so this is the best / cheapest way to be able to suppress the platform.

22lr might be quieter (and cheaper) but if you're going to say "better" then why own/shoot any gun other than a 22LR if you think it's better?

A 10/22 is "better" than a SCAR? At some things, sure, but I still own and like to shoot my SCAR(s) for a variety of reasons....

I have a threaded five-seven because I have a can that fits on it (and said can is rated for 5.7) and thus I want a threaded barrel for my five-seven. :x

Once you own a suppressor rated for a specific caliber you end up generally wanting every gun you have in that caliber to be able to host said suppressor, within reason :)

The other part I guess would be the "value" of a spare barrel in general. A stock barrel new is $255, so this is "only" a $115 premium to a new FN barrel ;)

eta: link to factory barrel at MGW
FNH Five Seven Barrel Assembly

That makes total sense and despite the non sequitor aspects of the response, I totally get it. I am now looking for a threaded barrel for my 22-250 rifle so that I can use my 22 caliber suppressor. Why FNH doesn't provide a threaded barrel for its high velocity, super sonic rounds is beyond . . . well, your logic anyway.

The further rationalization that buying a threaded barrel at the cost of 1/3 of a brand new, in the box, 57 pistol to supplant the need to buy a replacment barrel for the 57, makes total sense. Not to me necessarily, but if that justifies the purchase . . . well, carry on my fellow 57 owner.

All sarcasm aside, save the trouble and costs of suppressors for the subsonics like the 22lr, 45ACP, and 300 Blackout. If you want to use them for super sonic rounds to look awesome and to put small, still loud holes in pieces of paper . . . well, enjoy the hobby. Life is short.

As for me, i would rather save the $370 towards purchase of a PS90.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

I have a Sparrow, a SpecWar 762, a SpecWar 556 and an Octane 45.

I very much enjoy shooting supersonic rounds suppressed. 99% of my rounds are non-sub.

Shooting suppressed significantly reduces the dB generated when shooting and makes it safer and in my opinion more enjoyable to shoot. It also allows for me to shoot next to my friends or family members - no fun doing that with the SCaR brakes (or any other aggressive muzzle break).

We get it. You think it's dumb to shoot a non-subsonic round suppressed. i think the overwhelming majority of suppressor owners would disagree with you... But hey whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just ordered one too. The site says in stock after you complete the order you get something saying it needs assembly and shipping will be calculated once it's completed.

Kinda odd as in stock usually means ready to ship.

Anyone ne know how long jarvis takes to assemble and ship?
Bill runs a custom shop. He called me today with a question about my order. He managed to throw away my CC info. :th_bang: Great guy makes a very good barrel for the 57. Based on what he said today the barrels should start shipping buy the end of this week.

Also FYI, per Bill he has cut the MKII notches in ALL barrels so a single barrel fits the IOM, USG AND the MKII if i understood him correctly.

Reactions: JMP and Performify

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My credit card was just charged today 6-29-14 form my jarvis 5.7 barrel.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
There are 2 more aspects of the threaded barrel debate and the supersonic vs sub sonic discussion. I stumbled upon the other barrel manufacturer and from what I understand the Jarvis & EFK are both match grade I believe , which may or may not be a benefit to me.... I like to think I an shoot tighter groups , and then there is the collector value to owning a threaded barrel . Lord knows I have spent money on worse things. JIMO

Reactions: Performify

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
June 19th at 12:34pm/est when they went live. Bill called 6.23 to confirm the order and said they would start shipping at the end of last week. I got shipping notice on Thursday they went out.
He does not charge your card until they are ready for shipping. He mentioned the orders were plentiful and they would take a few weeks to get all orders out the door. All of this of course before he
has surgery later this month. If you placed the order your good to go...just be patient. I have been in touch with him on and off over the past year or so. Yours will arrive soon.

When did you place your order? I haven't even been charged :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts